Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
sjyip
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no one would know. Just that lately there seems to be a lot of rejections. =S both on the sample on TSR and the people I know.
the_enchantress
Report 9 years ago
...and Friday the 13th should hopefully change that, despite the irony.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The guys on the IB & C branch of the forum would, no doubt, have a field day with you.

(Original post by Canuck1)
bro. I've done complex mergers, leveraged buyouts, structured financings and valuations on hybrid securities....it all comes down to simple excel formulas.......and on the trading floors its about personality....except for some quants that are more math / comp sci / engineering....because they can program and handle intense math.....
Yes, because any reputable IB firm would let someone not yet an undergrad planning to do Law carry out such tasks. :rolleyes: Unless you are an IB, you will NOT have done any of these things, at least not at a bank where it's 'worth' it. For starters, you seem to have mixed duties of many different IB roles together. Were you some sort of amazing know it all star? If so, then you deserve to be hailed as the next star of the financial world- Warren Buffet watch out. But, sadly, I fear not. Moreover, if you have worked at a bank as an actual IB (chances are next to nothing, otherwise you wouldn't be on a student forum, trying to apply for a Law undergrad degree), then i sympathise with their clients.

Quants are mostly Maths/Physics students, yes, but this does not mean an Economist cannot land such roles- Econ at top universities include alot of maths and 'complex calculus' as you put it, so doing Economics does not rule you out of these roles entirely- it depends on the individual.

If there is anything complex in an investment bank it gets handed to math guys.....not econ but PHD math guys...aka the quants...
Bull****. How can you make such overwhelmingly sweeping statements with utter tripe to back it up?! Because everyone else at an Investment Bank is a moron unable to handle 'anything complex' right? :rolleyes:
Everybody should be in IB then- nothing 'complex' is ever required...why aren't you in IB then?

FO roles at a BB is incredibly hard and most people strive to get in any way then can- yet you seem to make it it's a walk in the park, like a degree isn't even ******* needed, whilst this is far from the truth- it's usually only top 5/10 Universities, unless you're something really special.

Investment Banking at its heart is accounting....building financial statements and analyzing them ....with the finance relating to debt / equity structuring etc... and merger / corp finance analysis...
This description seems more fitting for an Investment Management firm, not 'hard-core' Investment Banking.
By your logic, similarly, Rocket science at its heart is 4th grade astro-physics

With reference to your comments about anyone can make it into an IB; including Art History Majors in USA, etc- who are you trying to fool? Investment Baking is a huge blanket term, I'm sure you're aware- yet still they may make it into a FO S/T or M&A role if they are very well networked and possess the right skill-set regardless of their degree, but the 'art history major' is misleading. It comes down to :a) prestige- an Art History at the likes of Harvard or a top Ivy league is still "A Harvard/Ivy League Grad".
b) They use the Liberal Arts system, whereby only a third of his/her modules would then be Art History. This means they could then possess the right skills/knowledge required for top IB roles, since their other options could be relevant
This is not possible in the UK though, with the exception of Oxbridge, where the prestige alone may be enough to get you through.

Once again...please try to focus on keeping the thread on topic. Which program have you applied to? Best of luck if you havent heard yet...i know its becoming a pain for everyone else.
[/QUOTE]

My appologies for diverting from the purposes of the thread, yet your BS deserved an answer of kind. I plan to go into IB, have placement offers from 2 top banks for the summer, have many contacts in the field (my cousin is an analyst at a BB bank-- who incidentally also went to LSE :tongue:), so I do have a fair idea what I'm talking about. If you want the thread not to divert to such discussion however, then stop making such nonchalant insinuations.
nomad22
Report 9 years ago
'nonchalant insinuations' nice lol... nice...
on a radically different note i screwed up my physics AS retake AGAIN arrrghhhhh for the 3rd time... looks il be going for a world record of a 4th sitting again this summer...
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Er, Enough with IB now!:mad:
the_enchantress
Report 9 years ago
Looks like today no decisions, right?
bigsyT
Report 9 years ago
Information for graduate applicants:

rejections on next Tuesday
offers on next Friday
Minhaz
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by the_enchantress)
Looks like today no decisions, right?
my friend just got an offer for A&F at 12ish
akiangel
Report 9 years ago
LSEs definitely not following the trend
i guess people should stop guessing now.
theres no way of predicting what comes next
so just relax and wait for it to come
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meh, I'm at home with bronchitis. Could do with an offer, that way I can go through all the UCAS firm/insurance procresses whilst I'm sick and can't work.
yjkeh
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Minhaz)
my friend just got an offer for A&F at 12ish
serious?
DanielJH
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
//Minhaz

I doubt it
dramaminedreams
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by akiangel)
LSEs definitely not following the trend
i guess people should stop guessing now.
theres no way of predicting what comes next
so just relax and wait for it to come
They are following the trend really. We have not had any double offer/double rejection weeks. And they seem to be offers on Friday and rejections Monday/Tuesday. It is pretty obvious there is some sort of pattern.

Tomorrow offers.
Beef_Eater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how did your results go then people?
Ballet_shoes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was wondering...do you think LSE has actually looked at all of the applications yet?
As in like not like predicted grades and stuff, but personal statements and references etc.
Locke54
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beef_Eater)
Economics AS = A, Business Studies A2 = A, two units of English Language A2 = A .

Just got Economics A2, History A2 and one unit of the English Language A2 to go now, and have AAAA at AS and A at A2 with three pending, good times.

This being said, I still reckon LSE are going to put me out of my misery soon :eek:
bj_945
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beef_Eater)
Erm,
Physics D lol
But Biology 88/90 and 77/90
So Biology"s basically guaranteed now, and I"m happy.
Think I"ll give up Physics as I don"t need it anyway, just cash in an A at AS

Peace x
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Keep the discussions relevant to LSE. There are plenty of threads in the A-levels subforum in which you can discuss your results and January modules. This thread is prone to going severely off-topic and the Moderation Team have issued warnings several times. I advise you to check the first post of this thread.

If our warnings continue to be ignored, this thread will be closed. That would be a shame considering this thread has become almost a community in itself, and serves to offer a lot of information. Unfortunately if the rule-breaking continues we will have no choice but to lock it.
MarMite411
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Flippin heck.......okay offers tomorrow guys?
Canuck1
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Economic Historian 1)
Yes, because any reputable IB firm would let someone not yet an undergrad planning to do Law carry out such tasks. :rolleyes: Unless you are an IB, you will NOT have done any of these things, at least not at a bank where it's 'worth' it. For starters, you seem to have mixed duties of many different IB roles together.
I already have a business degree. I am applying for law as a 2nd degree. I've already done IB. I am speaking from a Wall St. vantage point. I could be wrong in terms of the practices at Canary Wharf.

From Morgan Stanley for the trading floor:

http://www.morganstanley.com/about/c...icles/457.html

"Requirements

Personal and professional integrity
A PhD/MFE with expertise in Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Quantitative Finance, or Computer Science.
Strong mathematical academic training.
Strong programming skills.
A deep interest in the financial markets
The drive and desire to work in an intense team oriented environment."

From Goldman Sachs for investment banking (analyst level --- associates need MBAs):

"Background
A financial background is not necessary. Your area or major of concentration is less important to us than your potential"

Im also sure you havent heard of algorithmic trading and the requirements. Maybe econ gets more focus in the UK. I don't know the system...and I don't drive on the left...anyways best of luck with your LSE offer.

Most importantly, I assume tomorrow will be an offer day.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (281)
80.52%
Leave (68)
19.48%

Watched Threads