Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawapplicant1)
    I have an offer for Law at Magdalene ! My interview was on the 7th!
    What are everybodys offers mine is A*A*A
    Hi there! I was just about to tell you about TimmonaPortella who had the interview the same day as you but seems like he has already found you! My interview was on the 8th and I do the IB so my offer is 42 points overall and 777 in my Higher Level subjects. We have a page on Facebook so TSR inbox me your name if you have a Facebook and I'll add you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andre09)
    hey, first of all congrats on both of your offers! and second i dont think age matters a lot (welll for me i will start at the age of 19 this year, given that i meet my offer), but anyways it really depends on which uni you like the most, and if you do choose cambridge, also think about whether you can spend the gap year well and productively, personally i would choose Cambridge because im not sure if i will like to spend 3 years in london! but of course i am biased
    I'll be 17 for the first term but they didn't ask me to defer

ReputationRep:
    I find it so amusing as i read this thread that so many people have been accepted by Cambridge and rejected by their insurance choices. I got a Durham rejection and i'm still waiting on an imminent Bristol rejection yet i have Cambridge!

Anyone else think the top unis are in cahoots?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katey_doodles)
    It is indeed - A*AA, A* in French (I'm doing A Levels)
    As ignorant as it makes me sound, I actually know very little about the Irish system - how did they make your offer then - what are your requirements?
    Haha, I'll be swotting non stop too - it would be the worst thing in the world to be made an offer from Cambridge and then not get the grades!
    Don't worry,I didn't really know anything about the uk one till I applied. We study seven subjects -english,irish,maths are mandatory. You study four others,mine are history,biology,geography and french. They count your six best in your final exams. My requirements are an A1 in English (I think that's your A*),A1 in History and an A in three other subjects. I wasn't expecting quite that. We've a points system so I need 470 out of 500,don't know which subject will be my discounted one yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! :awesome:
    Mine's A*AA

And my interview was also on the seventh!

edit: are you one of the 4 magdalene lawyers on my fb? Who are you? :holmes:
    No i'm not on your fb I wasnt even on here i just joined because I saw you were asking who else had a law offer from Magdalene and I had to join just to go ME TOO!

I've totally lost my confidence now though for my 2 A*

Has anyone actaully been given clear instructions by school how to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawapplicant1)
    No i'm not on your fb I wasnt even on here i just joined because I saw you were asking who else had a law offer from Magdalene and I had to join just to go ME TOO!

I've totally lost my confidence now though for my 2 A*

Has anyone actaully been given clear instructions by school how to get an A*?
    As a rule I ignore my college's advice. The teaching is superficial and aimed at passing as many people at a grade C as possible.

So, no

ReputationRep:
    As a rule I ignore my college's advice. The teaching is superficial and aimed at passing as many people at a grade C as possible.

So, no
    It's the same at my college. For that reason I tend to just turn up and kick about a bit and then study by myself at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nibbler12)
    I'll be 17 for the first term but they didn't ask me to defer
    its quite normal to be 17 in the first term (especially for people from scotland) but it depends on the college as some dont want to have the hassle of doing all the checks so a supervisor can teach someone under 18 but they dont tend to worry if its not for too long

ReputationRep:

So, no
    this is so true! sometimes i feel that i can get a higher grade if i dont go to school..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    It's the same at my college. For that reason I tend to just turn up and kick about a bit and then study by myself at home.
    :five: snap, except I only really turn up when it's not any time near exams. In the month or so before exams my attendance plummets to basically nothing.

Last year before the exams I felt compelled to go in a bit because the teachers were getting pissy about it, but this year I've got a Cambridge offer and am therefore essentially unchastisable

ReputationRep:
    :five: snap, except I only really turn up when it's not any time near exams. In the month or so before exams my attendance plummets to basically nothing.

Last year before the exams I felt compelled to go in a bit because the teachers were getting pissy about it, but this year I've got a Cambridge offer and am therefore essentially unchastisable
    Exactly the same with me
    Last summer my English and History teachers got all hormonal because I didn't come to their bloody revision lessons during study leave (surely study leave is there for a reason?) and just generally didn't turn up
    Then I got 100% UMS which shut them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    I couldn't have put that any better myself. I am in exactly the same situation.

My current teaching in History makes me want to curl up and die. It's so pathetic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I usually bunk so many lessons but it annoys my teachers and my mum so I'm often forced to go. Most of my lessons are a massive waste of time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dwalsh20)
    Offer for Education with English at Homerton. It's conditional.
    Any other irish applicants who received offers?
    I'm Northern Irish with an offer for Education with English (and Drama!) at Homerton!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    I usually bunk so many lessons but it annoys my teachers and my mum so I'm often forced to go. Most of my lessons are a massive waste of time!
    So do I nearer exam times (like now!) but my classes are only 3,5 and 10 people large so I get shouted at for making a small class even smaller. The lessons aren't aimed at trying to get people the an A* or even an A so I don't really see the point in them when it's just revision that needs to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyriakop)
    Hi,

I have received an offer to study Engineering from both Cambridge and Imperial (Electrical). The offer is the same to get an A in Further Maths. The difference is that Cambridge requires me to get a gap year. When I will graduate school I will be 17 years old.
    I need your advise what to choose.
    Imperial starting October 2011 ( I will be 17 years old) or Cambridge starting October 2012 (I will be 18 years old)?
    I would go for the gap year - perhaps even find an industrial placement and then go to Cambridge. At 18 you will be able to go everywhere without any age issues and generally for engineering they like you more mature.

PS I have an offer for engineering but I need the A* in FM.
    I am also half greek.(I think you are greek but may be wrong)

ReputationRep:

So, no
    My school is really good they are holding classes for A* predicted students but I still dont know how to get one in my individual subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeNielen)
    I find it so amusing as i read this thread that so many people have been accepted by Cambridge and rejected by their insurance choices. I got a Durham rejection and i'm still waiting on an imminent Bristol rejection yet i have Cambridge!

Anyone else think the top unis are in cahoots?
    YES. I'm totally expecting all my other unis to reject me (including Durham)! The first word I got back from any of my choices was a rejection from Bristol (2 days before Christmas...sheesh, way to ruin my holidays ) so I was totally shocked when I got an offer from Cambridge.
    But for now, I have no insurance...hmm.

(Original post by dwalsh20)
    Don't worry,I didn't really know anything about the uk one till I applied. We study seven subjects -english,irish,maths are mandatory. You study four others,mine are history,biology,geography and french. They count your six best in your final exams. My requirements are an A1 in English (I think that's your A*),A1 in History and an A in three other subjects. I wasn't expecting quite that. We've a points system so I need 470 out of 500,don't know which subject will be my discounted one yet.
    Thanks for explaining that I always felt a bit silly not knowing. That offer seems very high, but maybe it's because it's spread out over more subjects? I wonder are the four A Level subjects taught at a similar intensity to your seven... It's all very interesting! Where abouts in Ireland are you from?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=katey_doodles;29535427]YES. I'm totally expecting all my other unis to reject me (including Durham)! The first word I got back from any of my choices was a rejection from Bristol (2 days before Christmas...sheesh, way to ruin my holidays ) so I was totally shocked when I got an offer from Cambridge.
    But for now, I have no insurance...hmm.

I think they must look at your academics and think that there's no point giving you an offer because it's clear you've applied to Camb. No other explanation for them rejecting someone with your academics (i had a sneaky peek).

ReputationRep:
    Any LGBT Cambridge offer holders for 2011? :awesome:

(If I actually meet the terms of my offer, I'll make a whole new thread for this on results day, but I don't want to get ahead of myself :rolleyes:)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.