Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ^ indeed. Unfortunately the season finished a week ago so we have to wait till September.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    ATDHE got owned it would appear :p::moon:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Hail Mary. Best play ever.
    mm, i tried this, but he throws it no where near my recievers, coz he's crap lol. Stafford, you're ****. Also, i tried fake field goals every play and got to the 20, the kickers a better thrower, LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    mm, i tried this, but he throws it no where near my recievers, coz he's crap lol. Stafford, you're ****. Also, i tried fake field goals every play and got to the 20, the kickers a better thrower, LOL
    pick up a free-agent Quarterback with good short accuracy. utilise jahvid best in your run game and some short pass game with the occasional bomb to calvin johnson. allow stafford to mature a bit more on the bench for one more year. play mostly off detriot's defense with suh, vanden bosch etc...

a year later stafford is improved, you can draft a decent WR with your draft picks and boom! passing attack solved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    pick up a free-agent Quarterback with good short accuracy. utilise jahvid best in your run game and some short pass game with the occasional bomb to calvin johnson. allow stafford to mature a bit more on the bench for one more year. play mostly off detriot's defense with suh, vanden bosch etc...

a year later stafford is improved, you can draft a decent WR with your draft picks and boom! passing attack solved!
    nononono. it's a madden moment, not a season, i have to deal with the **** line up i have, convert a 2 point attempt, and then win OT! I swear its on all madden difficulty as well, 1.51 to travel 80 yards with no timeouts and a crap pass attack. impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Never been so happy, just did that stupid moment -.- just used constant screen passes and stepped out once i was gonna get tackled. Got the TD and a 2 point conversion and gave it back to them with 1.10 left.

The did two runs for 9 total yards, used timeouts on both. was 3rd and 1, so naturally i threw everything i had at them. Stopped them short as the punted, returned 60 yards for 1st and 10 at the 5 xD 2 kneel downs and kicked in the field goal with 2 seconds left, WOO! Never have to be those **** stupid lions EVER again. ^.^

ReputationRep:
    i remember in madden 05 there was one play I designed which I just completely and utterly abused because it made it easy to win everything. you needed a quarterback who could scramble, but apart from that i thought it was a pretty basic design.

Basically it was play action but then the quarterback escapes the pocket and ran to the left, then typically there would either be a gap for the quarterback to run into, and if not then the receiver running the short route on the left was wide open for a pass, third option was usually to go for the number 2 receiver running the flat. The tight end was more of a dummy route than a viable option because he was across the field, but it tended to take a safety or corner out of the way.
    The last option was the deep threat receiver running the slant, but rarely did he get the ball either unless there was a huge gap in the field (usually because they were blitzing).

It seems like a pretty simple play but it worked beautifully, I pre-empted the leagues change of philosophy from run to pass to pass unless you can run by several years.

That said, I always played as the Seahawks and pushed the boat out to sign Vick, Walter Jones at LG might have made that play a bit easier than it should have been...

that's a pretty basic design of it, it worked beautifully

ReputationRep:
    For those that follow college football, how sh*t was Jake Locker in his senior year. Seriously want to know, why he is on a never ending downwards spiral.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    For those that follow college football, how sh*t was Jake Locker in his senior year. Seriously want to know, why he is on a never ending downwards spiral.
    I follow it as much as I can, but I wouldn't say he has been on a downward spiral. 2010 was his second best QB rating season, he had less INTs than in 2 other seasons but may not have had as much protection, or possibly got a little too big for his boots as his sacks were quite high. Though compared to last season's 28, 19 is an improvement.

His post season game wasn't great, think his rating was just over 50 or 60%, but his regular season was OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    I follow it as much as I can, but I wouldn't say he has been on a downward spiral. 2010 was his second best QB rating season, he had less INTs than in 2 other seasons but may not have had as much protection, or possibly got a little too big for his boots as his sacks were quite high. Though compared to last season's 28, 19 is an improvement.

His post season game wasn't great, think his rating was just over 50 or 60%, but his regular season was OK.
    I like the look of Jake Locker, but I would take Blaine Gabbert any day.

Another note: Do you reckon it's worth adding a draft and offseason talk thread to the society? Don't know how much activity it would see :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I like the look of Jake Locker, but I would take Blaine Gabbert any day.

Another note: Do you reckon it's worth adding a draft and offseason talk thread to the society? Don't know how much activity it would see :/
    Probably not, most people won't really keep up with the draft, so many players' names get thrown around it would be impossible. I don't usually care about the draft until it is done with, I'm not fussed about who might be going where as at the end of the day, if a team can promise high pay and playing time then that is where someone will go.

Hence, I would imagine the Lions will get a couple of decent picks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Probably not, most people won't really keep up with the draft, so many players' names get thrown around it would be impossible. I don't usually care about the draft until it is done with, I'm not fussed about who might be going where as at the end of the day, if a team can promise high pay and playing time then that is where someone will go.

Hence, I would imagine the Lions will get a couple of decent picks.
    Fair enough, there are plenty of us 'draft buffs' around but not many (if any) on TSR it would seem.

Oh well, I will have to keep on scrounging any draft-related internet article for opinions haha!

And I think the Lions will draft well. They had a good draft last time out and I expect them to build well this year. The Patriots will have the best draft fosho!

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much into the combine and draft. I prefer college ball to the NFL tbh so all the "random names" actually mean something to me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, there are plenty of us 'draft buffs' around but not many (if any) on TSR it would seem.

Oh well, I will have to keep on scrounging any draft-related internet article for opinions haha!

And I think the Lions will draft well. They had a good draft last time out and I expect them to build well this year. The Patriots will have the best draft fosho!
    The only problem for the Pats is any rookie will know they won't get game time for a while. I regularly check on the draft news but won't take too much of it too seriously. Providing the Eagles and Bears draft well then that is all that matters, though that is somewhat of a rarity
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    I'm very much into the combine and draft. I prefer college ball to the NFL tbh so all the "random names" actually mean something to me.
    They aren't 'random names' to me either, I very much keep up to date with college football. However, the draft is not something I take too seriously, like I mentioned earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    They aren't 'random names' to me either, I very much keep up to date with college football. However, the draft is not something I take too seriously, like I mentioned earlier.
    Not even intrigued by the cam newton lovers? AJ Green, Prince Amakumara or Mark ingram? I like watching just to see how guys perform at the combine, seeing Suh and McCoy go head to head last year was pretty interesting.

The draft itself is boring yes, most of the top guys already know where they are headed before they even turn up. Coaches and owners put a lot of work into wooing the top prospects and it's pretty exciting when teams suddenly trade up a few spots to get that player of their dreams. I only ever watch to the end of the second round though then fall asleep or do something else lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussed about the draft, but I like to see where all the relatively big names end up.

I love the Combine however, does anyone know a stream to the action?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loves2spooge)
    I'm not too fussed about the draft, but I like to see where all the relatively big names end up.

I love the Combine however, does anyone know a stream to the action?
    You can usually watch live on the nfl.com site

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?icam...tTues_HP_Promo
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not even intrigued by the cam newton lovers? AJ Green, Prince Amakumara or Mark ingram? I like watching just to see how guys perform at the combine, seeing Suh and McCoy go head to head last year was pretty interesting.

The draft itself is boring yes, most of the top guys already know where they are headed before they even turn up. Coaches and owners put a lot of work into wooing the top prospects and it's pretty exciting when teams suddenly trade up a few spots to get that player of their dreams. I only ever watch to the end of the second round though then fall asleep or do something else lol.
    Yeah, the combine is a whole other kettle of fish, really is fun to watch the players as athletes, it is usually the only time in their careers that they can show off that level of athleticism.

ReputationRep:
    You can usually watch live on the nfl.com site

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?icam...tTues_HP_Promo
    Ah cool, I saw that but assumed it was for USA viewers only but thanks I'll keep looking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.