The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juli.miranda
Heyy im applying to Reach Oxford as well (I'm from Argentina)... still haven't written my essay thing, and literally have no ideas about what to write. In case you didnt notice, Im freaking outttttt

I didnt know about this scholarship! is this only open to people who studied in their own country till high school?
Original post by lalaberlin
True :smile: but I really can't make my mind up about which one to buy, I'm not from UK, which means that our local libraries aren't much help :wink: thank god there's amazon.. but I'm not going to start purchasing all the books :tongue: it would be helpful if someone could for example point out which of the 3 books on discrete maths we should read, etc.

Are you referring to to the reading list here? A good grounding in discrete maths will help you with the course - it really doesn't matter which of these you choose, or you could equally pick a textbook of a similar level that's available locally. You could always email the tutor at your college for more guidance.

We do however specifically recommend one or other of the two functional programming books named on this page. The Hutton one is more accessible but the Bird book covers more areas relevant to the course. The latter is on the recommended reading list for one of the first year courses, but it is difficult. Especially if you're reading it 'alone' - ie without the support of lectures, tutorials, etc, which you'll have during the functional programming course once you're here.
Original post by Sangin Know
has anyone replied to UCAS yet? My last offer/rejection has not arrived yet so I havent. but i want to reply! has anyone have the same problem as me?

Yeah I withdrew my last application because I already knew which uni I wanted to firm and insure so it didn't really matter.

(I really wanted to firm it quick just incase they thought I didn't want to go Oxford :p:)
Reply 903
Original post by JAR12
I reckon History & English requires more reading than both of those put together :frown: :tongue:

Law even more so :colonhash:

With regard to History, and I quote "History is the biggest doss subject ever, a girl I know does literally 10 hours reading a week and is done."- Un-named student.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 904
Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah I withdrew my last application because I already knew which uni I wanted to firm and insure so it didn't really matter.

(I really wanted to firm it quick just incase they thought I didn't want to go Oxford :p:)

I did this, in case they'd made a mistake :ninja:
I still have the fear of turning up on the day and finding out you don't have a room, and then your tutor comes and asks why you're there, and then you're naked, and standing in the front quad, with everyone laughing :s-smilie:

But nah, it should be fine.
Original post by Mann18
And Law even more so :colonhash:

And Classics... well maybe not quite so much, but it's in a different language!
Reply 906
Original post by riotgrrl
And Classics... well maybe not quite so much, but it's in a different language!

Mad props to anyone studying a different language! :p:

With regard to your UCAS, did you call Durham and just laugh down the phone?
Original post by Mann18
Mad props to anyone studying a different language! :p:

With regard to your UCAS, did you call Durham and just laugh down the phone?

Haha, no, I didn't but my stepdad did try to convince me to send them a picture of me holding up my acceptance letter and giving them the finger o.0
Reply 908
Original post by riotgrrl
Haha, no, I didn't but my stepdad did try to convince me to send them a picture of me holding up my acceptance letter and giving them the finger o.0

:rofl: Legendary.
Probably wise you didn't though :p:

Just goes to show, Oxford looks for different things than other top unis.
Good luck in your A-Levels, make sure you make it :wink:
Original post by Mann18
:rofl: Legendary.
Probably wise you didn't though :p:

Just goes to show, Oxford looks for different things than other top unis.
Good luck in your A-Levels, make sure you make it :wink:

Yeah and funnily enough, although Durham is known for being full of Oxbridge rejects, I know quite a few Durham rejects who'll be going to Oxbridge!

Thanks, you too :smile: I'll certainly try my best!
Original post by soutioirsim

I feel the same but I really want to know what the last uni's reply is! is that just being too obsessive? Maybe I should withdraw! I was gonna withdraw once then my parents were like 'let's see what the last uni says, but if you really want to withdraw then you should'!
hi!
i've sat the toefl and got 107 (the requirement is 100) how can i let oxford know?
i think i have to send the score report but i don't know the oxford toefl code...
or maybe i just have to send an e-mail to the college?

thanks !
Original post by moritzplatz
hi!
i've sat the toefl and got 107 (the requirement is 100) how can i let oxford know?
i think i have to send the score report but i don't know the oxford toefl code...
or maybe i just have to send an e-mail to the college?

thanks !

Send an email to your college. that's what I did for my A-level results :smile:
Reply 913
has anyone replied to UCAS yet? My last offer/rejection has not arrived yet so I havent. but i want to reply! has anyone have the same problem as me?

I've already got my grades, but I'm waiting to see if Edinburgh give me an offer, just for the personal satisfaction really. It doesn't make any difference to Oxford; I think they assume everyone will firm them unless told otherwise.

I feel the same but I really want to know what the last uni's reply is! is that just being too obsessive? Maybe I should withdraw! I was gonna withdraw once then my parents were like 'let's see what the last uni says, but if you really want to withdraw then you should'!

I replied last week I think, maybe the week before...was recently, anyway! But I was the same as you, didn't want to withdraw because I just wanted to know out of curiosity whether they'd accept me or not...they did :biggrin: the one I withdrew from was for other reasons.
Original post by Oxford ComLab
Are you referring to to the reading list here? A good grounding in discrete maths will help you with the course - it really doesn't matter which of these you choose, or you could equally pick a textbook of a similar level that's available locally. You could always email the tutor at your college for more guidance.

We do however specifically recommend one or other of the two functional programming books named on this page. The Hutton one is more accessible but the Bird book covers more areas relevant to the course. The latter is on the recommended reading list for one of the first year courses, but it is difficult. Especially if you're reading it 'alone' - ie without the support of lectures, tutorials, etc, which you'll have during the functional programming course once you're here.

Yes, I was referring to that background reading list. Thanks for the information.. I also think it would be wise to email my tutor once I've got the grades :smile:
Reply 916
Anyone else get jan results today?

On track for an A in at least two of my subjects, didn't have a jan exam for the other. So glad that I still have a chance of getting in :biggrin:
Reply 917
Original post by 04ghicks
Anyone else get jan results today?

On track for an A in at least two of my subjects, didn't have a jan exam for the other. So glad that I still have a chance of getting in :biggrin:

Just got the one exam result back, but got 120/120. Pretty chuffed :smile:
well done everyone on your jan results (didn't have any personally).

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what Oxford's policy is if you get A*A*B?

presumably it's at the discretion of the tutors or something?

I know someone that got accepted anyway with A*AB but it might have been because his school's not great...
Just firmed Oxford on UCAS :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending