This discussion is closed.
king101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Brunette_Gem)
Argh this crap and muscles... I do not understand it! :cry:
I did not too, but read the questions I asked James and then they you should get it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mocking_bird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RIGHT. I need to get back into this thread for revision when i can't really be bothered writing :lol:.

Feel free to ask any questions or do a "throwing questions back and forth at each other" type deal like the other previous biol threads.
king101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mocking_bird)
RIGHT. I need to get back into this thread for revision when i can't really be bothered writing :lol:.

Feel free to ask any questions or do a "throwing questions back and forth at each other" type deal like the other previous biol threads.
YESS YOUR BACK! You was great on BIOL4, helped me with EVERYTHING lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mocking_bird)

(Original post by king101)
YESS YOUR BACK! You was great on BIOL4, helped me with EVERYTHING lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Mockingbird can take over from my 2 hour shift I just did :rofl:

I'm knackered.
JAJC
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone got list of old spec exam questions relevent to the current spec? I would rather not burn out the exam papers before i've finished revising and don't have enough time to go rooting around due to a full exam session.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JAJC)
Err i thought there are still some potassium gates open and there is still diffusion of potassium ions out of the axon it's just reduced by the electrical gradient. Not alot of gates, but im sure the axon is many times more permeable to potassium at the resting potential?
The potassium ions overshoot, however once it reaches this point, THEN they shut and the Sodium/Potassium pump begins by restoring the resting potential (using active transport of course)!
king101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by James A)
I think Mockingbird can take over from my 2 hour shift I just did :rofl:

I'm knackered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
saba146
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey, does anyone have any tips on how to revise for the essay at the end of the paper? :P
jess_m94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by helpme456)
I think this is right. Hopefully jess can confirm

Obtain fragments using reverse transcriptase or restriction endonucleases
If reverse transcriptase is used, in vitro is used to amplify (Polymerase chain reaction)
If restriction endonuclease is used, in vivo is used to amplify by cutting the plasmid using the same endonuclease
Yep, that sounds right
hype
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anybody have any tips on how to revise for this exam? I've been going through and making notes from the text book but I'm finding it to be way too much information to go through and take in!
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hype)
Does anybody have any tips on how to revise for this exam? I've been going through and making notes from the text book but I'm finding it to be way too much information to go through and take in!
Do little by little each day. If you try and learn the whole syllabus in a day, then you'll be like :eek:

As soon as you covered everything (really really well), you'll be surprised to know that it doesn't feel like much....
amelia95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone got the Unit 5 paper/mark scheme from January please?
Anniestasia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Believe me when I say this, but Biology, has and will be my weakest academic subject. I just couldn't hack the exams , the exam technique is the hardest thing in AQA bio

But the material is good :yy:

You'll be fine in the exams though, the fact that you want to learn more and more about the concepts, says alot about your passion for the subject. You gonna be doing it at uni?
Haha, no I'm doing Game Art at uni! Bit different. I do find Biology very interesting though. And I bet you still got a good grade nevertheless!
Gnome :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amelia95)
Has anyone got the Unit 5 paper/mark scheme from January please?
There aren't any; unit 5 is only sat in June.

A bit of a pain in the bum in terms of having enough past papers :/
starfish232
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could someone please explain what we need to know about the second messenger model?

Thank You
hype
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frogs r everywhere)
Do little by little each day. If you try and learn the whole syllabus in a day, then you'll be like :eek:

As soon as you covered everything (really really well), you'll be surprised to know that it doesn't feel like much....
Ooooh this is reassuring! Thank you!
erniiee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The potassium ions overshoot, however once it reaches this point, THEN they shut and the Sodium/Potassium pump begins by restoring the resting potential (using active transport of course)!
I was reading through this part of the NT book (action potentials) as I was revising positive feedback and I got quite confused..

Surely after the action potential has occured, (post hyperpolarisation), the overall concentrations of the ions inside and out of the membrane are different to before it occured, even though the potential has been returned to its negative state?

Aren't there now way more sodium ions inside and potassium outside?

And does the Na/K pump try and return the relative concentrations back to what it is before the action potential?

Haha the nelson thornes textbook used confusion, and its super effective on me today! :lol:
Minnie me
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm just wondering what i could talk about in an essay about carbohydrates.
i don't know the title, as my teacher only gives the topic,for us to plan the essay. we write the essay the day after we have planned it.
thanks for any help

me
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by erniiee)
I was reading through this part of the NT book (action potentials) as I was revising positive feedback and I got quite confused..

Surely after the action potential has occured, (post hyperpolarisation), the overall concentrations of the ions inside and out of the membrane are different to before it occured, even though the potential has been returned to its negative state?

Aren't there now way more sodium ions inside and potassium outside?

And does the Na/K pump try and return the relative concentrations back to what it is before the action potential?

Haha the nelson thornes textbook used confusion, and its super effective on me today! :lol:
The Na/K pump restores the relative concentrations of ions to how it was before the action potential, yes.

What do you mean by your 2nd paragraph?

Im on my phone typing this loool
Mocking_bird
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by starfish232)
Could someone please explain what we need to know about the second messenger model?

Thank You
The second messenger system covers all hormones, but in my class we've learnt about it in terms of glucagon and adrenaline when blood glucose levels need to be increased.

So for example...
- glucagon is released into the blood stream by the alpha cells in islet of langerhan in the pancreas
-travels to the liver
-bind to plasma membrane receptors
- this binding initiates a series of reactions which results in the activation of certain enzymes in the cell, known as the second messenger system.
- the enzymes breakdown glycogen into glucose
- which can then be released into the blood.

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads