Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Well.. there really isn't much I can say about the cup match apart from Porto deserved that win. 1-0 is probably a bit kind to us because of how many clear chances Porto had.

It was one of the worst Benfica performances I've seen all season, although it was also one of the best Porto performances I've seen all season, so that had a big impact on us being so poor.

We made many changes once again, which was to be expected with the Braga match coming up this weekend, but I didn't think we would be this bad because we had made even more drastic changes against Tottenham and managed to play well, so this was a bit unexpected.

Cardozo is starting to irritate me tbh.. he hasn't been good at all since he has come back from injury. Last night, Rodrigo was being forced to pressure the defense AND help out in midfield, which meant that Porto often had 3 vs 2 in midfield and kept overrunning us. The worst part was that Cardozo wasn't winning headers either, so much so that I started to think that every time we played a long ball to him, it was a guarantee that we were going to lose possession.

As for Porto, Quaresma scared me every time he got the ball, and it seemed like Jackson had an excellent game as well, always really good at helping out on build up play. Fernando was ridiculous in midfield too.

Can't complain about the result really... hopefully we have the league 99% wrapped up by the time the second leg comes around and we play a stronger lineup.

Firstly the cup match – Yeah, we should have scored a couple more and put that game to bed, but typical of how we’ve been this season we didn’t take those chances. I don’t know if you played so poor or we actually played pretty well? All to play for at the Luz though, I imagine it’ll be a different Benfica we play against because I agree with you that by then you’ll have that title pretty much wrapped up. Seven ahead of Sporting and 15 points ahead of us(crazy we’ve let it become a 15 point lead) there’s a slim chance you’ll be stupid enough to throw that away. For starters there’s only five games left, so there’s no way you’ll lose those five so we’re completely out of the picture. Sporting still have to face Nacional (and I guess you can include Estoril for now) who are both pushing for that Europa League spot. I think Estoril have pretty much got it wrapped up, 11 points ahead of 7th place, what a great thing for them to achieve again. With losing a few of their stars from last season I didn’t expect them to be up there. In fact, Porto are lucky Estoril have messed up lately with dropping 5 points in their last two games. If they had managed to beat Vitória Setúbal and Rio Ave they would be right on our heels, two poor defeats for them considering how they’ve been this season. But it’s still two tough matches for Sporting. That title is yours.

As for this weekend , firstly Benfica. I didn’t think it was the best of matches for either side, but you got your win against a team who you feared the most in terms of dropping points. You’re final five are all winnable, well four, the final game versus us may not guarantee you three points but that title will be confirmed as yours before then and it will be a match where all to play for is only the significance of beating your rivals. The FPF didn’t get their schedule right in thinking this game will be the winner wins the title. I didn’t catch the Sporting game (or even any highlights), as for us. We were unlucky not to at least grab a point from that but sloppy all over again, so maybe we did deserve it? Just poor finishing though. Quaresma losing his rag at the end too. I actually didn’t catch what happened as i looked away and then when i looked up I just saw it all kick off and he was going absolutely crazy!

To Thursday, not looking forward to this now after going into this game with a horrible defeat against Nacional. Hopefully we bounce back, no dodgy defending and a no away goals would be lovely.

(Original post by Icecream1)
    Riquelme's free kick was beautiful!
    Like i said about Pirlo in the Italian thread, he's another who makes free kicks look so effortless. Stunning free kick. The noise as soon as that ball hit the back of the net was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Worst Porto side in years. They'll be no Kelvin miracle this season I'm afraid!

Napoli being poor was the only reason Porto got through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubzeh)
    Worst Porto side in years. They'll be no Kelvin miracle this season I'm afraid!

Napoli being poor was the only reason Porto got through.
    Yeah, we’re certainly not pretty to watch right now. Kelvin has hardly been around all season, completely left out of the picture when Paulo Fonseca was around but since Luis Castro took over he’s at least made the bench and had a couple of sub appearances. But not having a steady CB partnership, losing such a key player like Lucho in the January transfer window, the bizarre sale of Otamendi and not really managing to fill the gap where James and Moutinho were last season has proved to be costly for us. We made some good signings with Quintero, Hector Herrera, Diego Reyes, Carlos Eduardo, Lica and Josue but some haven’t been given the chance (mainly Quintero & Reyes) whereas other have showed signs of being good but still fitting in and sometimes being quite inconsistent, like Carlos Eduardo. Started off great but has fizzled out a bit. Although under Luis Castro Quintero and Reyes have been involved more but it’s all a too late. So many games we’ve had the possession but just lacked when it’s come to taking our chances and sloppy defending has cost us.

The problem with Napoli is how poor their defence have been, not just in that game but all season. I think in that second leg we had something like three shots on target and managed to get two goals. Poor defending for Ghilas’ goal but they couldn’t do much about Quaresmas goal. But there has been a few times this season where their defence have let them down. Sort that out and Napoli will have a really good side. Are you a Napoli fan as I notice you have a picture of Callejón and Dries Mertens? If I had to pick one player who has caught my eye the most this season it's Mertens. He's got something that makes me enjoy watching him when he has the ball.

(Original post by aa22)
    x
    Well, you got the away goal and we kept the clean sheet, smiles all round. Maybe you lot didn't get as big a margin as you would have liked but that goal could prove to be the important one at the end of it. Flicked over to the Benfica match every now and again but probably not enough to make a significant comment on whether Benfica should have got more out of it or if AZ were unlucky not to grab a goal. Nice goal by Salvio though and Amorims injury looked nasty!

As for Porto we should have scored more but because of Beto and the post (twice) it remained 1-0. I'm happy with no away goal conceded. Fabiano was only trouble a couple of times, we were lucky with Gameiro's miss hit shot too. Like with the Napoli match, it's a very slim advantage going to Seville and Sevilla can easily get back into it. Losing Fernando is a blow, a bigger blow than losing Jackson. Ghilas can come in for Jackson but we really miss Fernando when he's not around. Going to be another nervy game to sit through and i expect with no Fernando around Sevilla will get past us a little easier. Hopefully Ghilas will get the important away goal again.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you guys think will end up eventually buying Koke? I think he is a great player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DurhamXI)
    Who do you guys think will end up eventually buying Koke? I think he is a great player.
    I think he'll stay at Atleti, at least for one more season. Reckon he'd tear apart the Premier League though. Definitely possesses the total package as a midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Well, you got the away goal and we kept the clean sheet, smiles all round. Maybe you lot didn't get as big a margin as you would have liked but that goal could prove to be the important one at the end of it. Flicked over to the Benfica match every now and again but probably not enough to make a significant comment on whether Benfica should have got more out of it or if AZ were unlucky not to grab a goal. Nice goal by Salvio though and Amorims injury looked nasty!

As for Porto we should have scored more but because of Beto and the post (twice) it remained 1-0. I'm happy with no away goal conceded. Fabiano was only trouble a couple of times, we were lucky with Gameiro's miss hit shot too. Like with the Napoli match, it's a very slim advantage going to Seville and Sevilla can easily get back into it. Losing Fernando is a blow, a bigger blow than losing Jackson. Ghilas can come in for Jackson but we really miss Fernando when he's not around. Going to be another nervy game to sit through and i expect with no Fernando around Sevilla will get past us a little easier. Hopefully Ghilas will get the important away goal again.
    Yeh, two wins for the Portuguese teams. We managed to get the away goal, luckily, but overall our performance wasn't that great, we didn't have too many other chances. AZ had a lot of chances in the first half and if it wasn't for Artur making some amazing saves, we would have conceeded a few goals.

Artur really saved us that match, although he nearly messed up near the end again, which was disappointing because until then it had been one of his best matches since his injury.

Amorim's injured definitely looked a lot worse than what I've been reading now (apparently he should only be out a 1-2 weeks) and we had to play the two Andre kids in midfield, I think for the first time ever, for the whole second half. To be honest, they did surprisingly well.. in fact, we improved defensively with Andre Almeida in there.

Kinda ridiculous to think that at the beginning of the season, Matic was first choice, then Fejsa, then Amorim, and we played someone who was originally fourth choice defensive mid in an important European match.

But anyway, its the win that counts. Hopefully we don't give them as many chances in the second leg.

As for Porto. Sevilla managed to beat Real Madrid only a short while ago and they're in 5th in Spain, so they're a good side. Couldn't watch the match (for obvious reasons) but from what I can tell, I'm surprised to read that Porto could have had a more comfortable result.

The second leg will be tough, like you said, Fernando will be a big miss for sure, but I still think Porto have what it takes to score a goal over there, and then it'll pretty much be over...

I really think Porto have made the Europa League (and the other cups) their top priority. We have never done well against Porto in important matches, so I'd go as far as saying that I really think Porto would beat us if we faced each other in the next round/final.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just jump straight into the Europa League stuff because the league matches were just a stroll in the park for everyone.

Wow... what happened to Porto. I was watching the Benfica match and they kept giving updates on the score in Spain. As Sevilla kept scoring, I just kept thinking "what the heck is going on with Porto?!"... very surprised to see that Sevilla won with such a big scoreline.

I know Porto were missing Jackson and Fernando, but were they THAT big of a miss? After the first leg, I thought Porto would be going through to the next round because of how much better they had been than Sevilla.

Based on the highlights, the penalty was a clear dive it seems. Maybe that threw off Porto? Although the other goals had a lot of bad defending on Porto's part. Quaresma scored another nice goal though.

Benfica didn't really have any problems at all against AZ. It was a fairly boring match, with only Salvio really trying (and it was thanks to him that we won).

Silvio's injury ruined the night though. Unfortunately its a pretty bad one and he's gonna be out for months. He's gonna be a big miss for us as we start playing more and more important matches, although it looks like Andre Almeida has finally come back from obscurity and should be able to do the job. Really unlucky for Silvio because he was definitely in with a shout of making the World Cup squad.

Next round we face Juventus... Really can't see anything but a Juve win. Their squad is far too good for Europa League. I think we might have had a better chance against them in a one-off if it had been in the final, but over two legs I think their quality will come through :/

Oh well... at least the league should be settled in a week or so... then we can concentrate on the cups..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    I'll just jump straight into the Europa League stuff because the league matches were just a stroll in the park for everyone.

Wow... what happened to Porto. I was watching the Benfica match and they kept giving updates on the score in Spain. As Sevilla kept scoring, I just kept thinking "what the heck is going on with Porto?!"... very surprised to see that Sevilla won with such a big scoreline.

I know Porto were missing Jackson and Fernando, but were they THAT big of a miss? After the first leg, I thought Porto would be going through to the next round because of how much better they had been than Sevilla.

Based on the highlights, the penalty was a clear dive it seems. Maybe that threw off Porto? Although the other goals had a lot of bad defending on Porto's part. Quaresma scored another nice goal though.

Benfica didn't really have any problems at all against AZ. It was a fairly boring match, with only Salvio really trying (and it was thanks to him that we won).

Silvio's injury ruined the night though. Unfortunately its a pretty bad one and he's gonna be out for months. He's gonna be a big miss for us as we start playing more and more important matches, although it looks like Andre Almeida has finally come back from obscurity and should be able to do the job. Really unlucky for Silvio because he was definitely in with a shout of making the World Cup squad.

Next round we face Juventus... Really can't see anything but a Juve win. Their squad is far too good for Europa League. I think we might have had a better chance against them in a one-off if it had been in the final, but over two legs I think their quality will come through :/

Oh well... at least the league should be settled in a week or so... then we can concentrate on the cups..
    Our defence :facepalm:. That’s probably one of the worst games I’ve seen Mangala play. He wasn’t great, caught sleeping on a few occasions. Sevilla were completely different to how they were at the Dragão, which is what I expected. They came straight at us from the very start and winning the penalty, that was a dive, messed us up and gave Sevilla even more momentum. Once they scored the penalty we were even more all over the place. Their fans were great too, really got behind them and played their part.

We definitely missed Fernando. I don’t think the midfield of Defour, Herrera and Carlos Eduardo works at all. Not sure what has happened to Carlos Eduardo but he’s not been great in the latter stages of this season. But Fernando’s presence is going to be a hard one to fill when he leaves, which will almost certainly be this summer.

First half display we deserved that score line, bringing on Quintero at HT and Sevilla getting a red card helped made us attack more in the second half but Sevilla were solid with their defending and it was like a brick wall at times. And yes, Quaresma with a lovely goal but sadly it was all a little too late.

Caught the highlights of the Benfica match, pretty much no problems in that match. Done what you had to do. I absolutely feel for Silvio, I bet Luisão feels terrible even though it was completely accidental. It’s a shame for him because like you said he had a shout at getting in that WC squad.

A very tough test with being tied against Juve, but I have to say I’m quite looking forward to it already. With the final being held in Turin and with Juve almost there, I’m expecting this will give them an even greater boost. I would have preferred this to be the final though.

Benfica still in with a chance of winning four trophies, but hopefully we can change that. Trying to remain positive at least we're still in the TDP and managed to get away with staying in the TDL, but I'll honestly be quite happy for this season to end now. I'm already looking towards the WC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    One more victory is all you need. I can't see you slipping up against Olhanense next week, and from a Porto perspective at least it means the league will be won before you visit the Dragão so there will be no winning it at our ground. Impressive set of fans today too.

Not much to say about Porto. It was a win but not a great performance.

Looks like Braga might struggle for a Europa League spot now, especially with Nacional beating Maritimo yesterday. A six point gap between the two, still a slight chance for Braga though because Nacional still have to meet Sporting.

Should be a good match tomorrow between Paços and Estoril. Paços back in the relegation zone due to Belenenses grabbing three points off Guimarães. So still all to play for at the bottom.

And now to Wednesday where we can hopefully kick you out of at least one competition this season.

ReputationRep:
    One more victory is all you need. I can't see you slipping up against Olhanense next week, and from a Porto perspective at least it means the league will be won before you visit the Dragão so there will be no winning it at our ground. Impressive set of fans today too.

Not much to say about Porto. It was a win but not a great performance.

Looks like Braga might struggle for a Europa League spot now, especially with Nacional beating Maritimo yesterday. A six point gap between the two, still a slight chance for Braga though because Nacional still have to meet Sporting.

Should be a good match tomorrow between Paços and Estoril. Paços back in the relegation zone due to Belenenses grabbing three points off Guimarães. So still all to play for at the bottom.

And now to Wednesday where we can hopefully kick you out of at least one competition this season.
    Yep, the title is finally in sight. The match against Arouca was looking tough because they were defending well and causing trouble going forward. Thankfully we got the goal just before half time to settle the nerves. Oblak's injury was disappointing though.. I hope he's able to come back soon.

Really worked out well that the next match is at home so we can have a full stadium pushing us towards the title. We might even win it before we even get on the pitch if Sporting don't win their match, although I can't see that happening.

I managed to watch the Porto match until the first goal, it looked like Porto had control of the match and Braga were pretty poor. I'm surprised that Porto rested many key players and still won, just shows that Braga really aren't doing well lately, not too surprising that they're missing out on Europa League right now.

As for Wednesday's match.. not sure how Benfica should be approaching that match. Ideally we would go full strength against Porto in order to win the tie, then play a weaker team against Olhanense in the title match (because I think we should still be good enough to beat them) so that we can play full strength in the following match against Juventus.

Even though this second leg is at the Luz, I think Porto will still manage to go through. Quaresma and the two fullbacks were rested, Fernando and Jackson are fresh after missing the last Europa match. I can easily see Porto scoring; meaning that unless we have our strongest team out there, we won't be scoring 3 goals.

Fejsa and Luisao have had fitness problems, I don't think Amorim is back yet. Silvio's injury means that both Maxi and Siqueira will need to play every game from now on. So yeh, Porto's extra motivation to win a cup this season should pull them through.

(also, too bad that the Copa del Rey Classico is gonna clash with this match, was looking forward to watching it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yep, the title is finally in sight. The match against Arouca was looking tough because they were defending well and causing trouble going forward. Thankfully we got the goal just before half time to settle the nerves. Oblak's injury was disappointing though.. I hope he's able to come back soon.

Really worked out well that the next match is at home so we can have a full stadium pushing us towards the title. We might even win it before we even get on the pitch if Sporting don't win their match, although I can't see that happening.

I managed to watch the Porto match until the first goal, it looked like Porto had control of the match and Braga were pretty poor. I'm surprised that Porto rested many key players and still won, just shows that Braga really aren't doing well lately, not too surprising that they're missing out on Europa League right now.

As for Wednesday's match.. not sure how Benfica should be approaching that match. Ideally we would go full strength against Porto in order to win the tie, then play a weaker team against Olhanense in the title match (because I think we should still be good enough to beat them) so that we can play full strength in the following match against Juventus.

Even though this second leg is at the Luz, I think Porto will still manage to go through. Quaresma and the two fullbacks were rested, Fernando and Jackson are fresh after missing the last Europa match. I can easily see Porto scoring; meaning that unless we have our strongest team out there, we won't be scoring 3 goals.

Fejsa and Luisao have had fitness problems, I don't think Amorim is back yet. Silvio's injury means that both Maxi and Siqueira will need to play every game from now on. So yeh, Porto's extra motivation to win a cup this season should pull them through.

(also, too bad that the Copa del Rey Classico is gonna clash with this match, was looking forward to watching it)
    One bit of bad luck that Benfica keep having at the moment is they keep getting horrible injuries. That Oblak injury looked nasty, but he was just concussed (I think that's what I read) so he might be back in that spot soon.

I think that game just showed the sorry state that Braga are in. It's a shame to have seen them slip away like that after having a couple of good seasons. I wish the Braga of a couple of seasons ago could have been in the league today as it would have been even more exciting to see them battling with us at the top. I've enjoyed seeing Sporting back up there this season but even if they just lose William Carvalho in the summer I feel they'll be in trouble.

I think that's how you'll play it, with the stronger team tomorrow then rest of a few on Saturday and then they'll be fresher for the Juve match next week. In a way i think it's also worked for Benfica that you're playing Olhanense, if there is any side in the league you want to play now so you can rest players then they would be your first choice.

Abdoulaye hasn't been called up for this game so it should be the CB partnership of Mangala/Maicon which is the best we've got. So that's one positive for us. Then with resting Quaresma, Mangala, Danilo and Alex Sandro hopefully they'll be feeling a bit fresher going into this game. This is one of our last chances of winning a decent trophy. I know we're still in the Taça da Liga but this one means more to win, so we'll be right up for this one. But, all my optimism has disappeared and don't think it'll go our way. We've already seen a 1-0 up advantage meaning very little in the second leg.

I see the Taça da Liga game now has a time and date too. Sunday April 27th at 6:15. I think this is one of those games I'm going to have to escape from work early again. I'm running out of excuses for these earlyish KO's! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    I don’t know whether to laugh or cry about this season, what a complete disaster it has been.

Not a pretty game which made it a difficult one for Pedro Proença, but he didn’t have a great game. So many points you could talk about in this game but I still feel that deflated by it all that I actually can’t say anything. We were terrible and that’s pretty much it, made worse that we pretty much played against 10 men for the majority of the match and still played (and mainly defended) how a bunch of kids in the park would. Lovely bit of skill and finish by Andre Gomes.

Benfica pretty much have the double in their hands, with the chance of two more finals on the card. As great as it is to see Rio Ave in the final (more despair for Braga too!) I really see nothing more than Benfica winning this Taça.

What an absolutely rotten season for both Porto and Wrexham, so different compared to last season for both teams. Football, eh?

Decided to treat myself to the new World Cup top today. I wasn't going to bother but seeing as this season has become such a disaster it has made me look forward to the the WC even more so i ended up buying it. I'll be in Madeira for a couple of weeks during the WC too, so hopefully Portugal progress into the Round of 16 so I can catch a Portugal game whilst I'm there. It's always better to watch Portugal in a Portuguese bar than in a bar in a small town in Wales. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know whether to laugh or cry about this season, what a complete disaster it has been.

Not a pretty game which made it a difficult one for Pedro Proença, but he didn’t have a great game. So many points you could talk about in this game but I still feel that deflated by it all that I actually can’t say anything. We were terrible and that’s pretty much it, made worse that we pretty much played against 10 men for the majority of the match and still played (and mainly defended) how a bunch of kids in the park would. Lovely bit of skill and finish by Andre Gomes.

Benfica pretty much have the double in their hands, with the chance of two more finals on the card. As great as it is to see Rio Ave in the final (more despair for Braga too!) I really see nothing more than Benfica winning this Taça.

What an absolutely rotten season for both Porto and Wrexham, so different compared to last season for both teams. Football, eh?

Decided to treat myself to the new World Cup top today. I wasn't going to bother but seeing as this season has become such a disaster it has made me look forward to the the WC even more so i ended up buying it. I'll be in Madeira for a couple of weeks during the WC too, so hopefully Portugal progress into the Round of 16 so I can catch a Portugal game whilst I'm there. It's always better to watch Portugal in a Portuguese bar than in a bar in a small town in Wales. :rolleyes:
    I really can't believe we won that. The fact that we won with 10 men made it all the more sweeter. We started the game really well, dominating and when we scored the goal to put us level, I thought it was going to be a good match from then on.

But Siqueira's sending off completely changed my mood at that point, because Porto suddenly had total control of the possession whereas Benfica could hardly create a counter-attack.

When Varela got the goal after half-time, I really thought that was it, it was over. Scoring two goals against Porto was going to be tough with just 10 men. But we started to counter-attack much better after that. Enzo's goal gave me some hope but I still thought it would be hard to score another.

But then Andre Gomes did a bit of magic and suddenly we were going through to the final. Unbelievable stuff.

Proenca did have a tough game, but he was handing out yellows and stopping play at every little foul, so he made it worse for himself I think. I can't complain about the red card, completely deserved the second yellow.. I would say the first yellow was very harsh, but he had completely clattered Jackson minutes earlier without any consequence, so it evened itself out. As for the penalty, I think Porto can't have any complaints about either, Reyes dived in and didn't get the ball.

And yeh, like you said, I would really expect us to win the double this season. An excellent job by JJ to repeat what we did last season (hopefully we don't mess up the Cup this time). The only thing missing now is making the Europa final, although unfortunately I think Juventus will be too high of a hurdle for us. However, if we DO manage to make the final, it would be the ultimate redemption.

I can totally understand Porto fans feeling completely disgusted by how this match played out, and how the season has gone in general. And now there's only the League Cup left.. on the bright side, at least that semi-final will be at the Dragao so it is still possible to end up with SOME silverware this season... just a little bit too early to start thinking about the World Cup :P

I'd love to be in Portugal/one of the islands during the world cup.. I think I'm going in late July though, so it'll have passed by then :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    I really can't believe we won that. The fact that we won with 10 men made it all the more sweeter. We started the game really well, dominating and when we scored the goal to put us level, I thought it was going to be a good match from then on.

But Siqueira's sending off completely changed my mood at that point, because Porto suddenly had total control of the possession whereas Benfica could hardly create a counter-attack.

When Varela got the goal after half-time, I really thought that was it, it was over. Scoring two goals against Porto was going to be tough with just 10 men. But we started to counter-attack much better after that. Enzo's goal gave me some hope but I still thought it would be hard to score another.

But then Andre Gomes did a bit of magic and suddenly we were going through to the final. Unbelievable stuff.

Proenca did have a tough game, but he was handing out yellows and stopping play at every little foul, so he made it worse for himself I think. I can't complain about the red card, completely deserved the second yellow.. I would say the first yellow was very harsh, but he had completely clattered Jackson minutes earlier without any consequence, so it evened itself out. As for the penalty, I think Porto can't have any complaints about either, Reyes dived in and didn't get the ball.

And yeh, like you said, I would really expect us to win the double this season. An excellent job by JJ to repeat what we did last season (hopefully we don't mess up the Cup this time). The only thing missing now is making the Europa final, although unfortunately I think Juventus will be too high of a hurdle for us. However, if we DO manage to make the final, it would be the ultimate redemption.

I can totally understand Porto fans feeling completely disgusted by how this match played out, and how the season has gone in general. And now there's only the League Cup left.. on the bright side, at least that semi-final will be at the Dragao so it is still possible to end up with SOME silverware this season... just a little bit too early to start thinking about the World Cup :P

I'd love to be in Portugal/one of the islands during the world cup.. I think I'm going in late July though, so it'll have passed by then :/
    Yeah, it must have been an amazing game from a Benfica perspective but it just added more misery into our season. In a way it hasn’t surprised me that this game turned out like this for us. The story of our season, a complete disappointment.

I don’t think any of us can complain about the red cards or the penalty, it was just the constant stopping for every little thing and then all of a sudden he couldn’t stop throwing these cards everywhere. Even JJ and Luis Castro got sent to the stands! He just kinda lost it a bit but it was a difficult one to referee.

Benfica will be on such a high at the moment though, unlike how they were towards the end of last season. Whereas last season it all went wrong, this season seems to be heading in the right direction. So I image the moral is high with everyone and Benfica might just pull off a surprise.

Haha, it really wouldn’t surprise me if you beat us at the Dragão just to kick us even more whilst we’re down. Even if we reach the final of that cup it will still be a terrible season for us, so it’s never too early to be thinking about the World Cup. Also, it means i can ignore all the transfer rumours about Mangala, Fernando and Jackson... World Cup first, then I'll worry about them leaving after!

ReputationRep:
    Pulis? Mourinho? Which one of these great rivals is a better manager. You decide!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2654190

ReputationRep:
    The new season of the Brasileirão kicked off tonight despite what's going on with Portuguesa in the second division who abandoned their match yesterday and hope to be reinstated to the top division. Such a messy situation. They've had pretty much 5 months to sort this out but it's still on going. Flu are currently having no problems tonight against Figueirense, who have defended terribly. The third goal they conceded sums up their night thus far. Some can argue whether Flu should actually be in this league considering they got relegated last season but only stayed in the league because of the Portuguesa situation. Such a messy league but possibly one of the most unpredictable ones out there which is why i love it. For those interested this gives you a decent overview of the teams.

ReputationRep:
    The new season of the Brasileirão kicked off tonight despite what's going on with Portuguesa in the second division who abandoned their match yesterday and hope to be reinstated to the top division. Such a messy situation. They've had pretty much 5 months to sort this out but it's still on going. Flu are currently having no problems tonight against Figueirense, who have defended terribly. The third goal they conceded sums up their night thus far. Some can argue whether Flu should actually be in this league considering they got relegated last season but only stayed in the league because of the Portuguesa situation. Such a messy league but possibly one of the most unpredictable ones out there which is why i love it. For those interested this gives you a decent overview of the teams.
    The situation is messy and it does seem like the a genuine mistake on Portuguesa's part and Fluminense are been extremely favoured given they're a powerhouse. 4 points for a 15 minute spell; harsh.

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of Brazilian football. Bruno the goalkeeper that made the news for paying someone to kill his mistress is hoping to be allowed to play football despite having to serve a 22 year jail sentence.

ReputationRep:
    The Dutch cup final score though

Zwolle 5: 1 Ajax. 50 minutes gone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    The situation is messy and it does seem like the a genuine mistake on Portuguesa's part and Fluminense are been extremely favoured given they're a powerhouse. 4 points for a 15 minute spell; harsh.
    Flu are very lucky because with the way they played last season they deserved to be relegated, I personally would have liked to see them relegated too. Even with the court order allowing Portuguesa to be reinstated it will mean Flamengo will drop down to Série B because they too fielded an ineligible player and dropped points. But they will probably appeal against it seeing as it’s for the same reason as Portuguesa, so it will just drag on for even longer. The league finished on the 8th December last year, it’s mad that this situation is still ongoing.

It really doesn’t surprise me that Corinthians started the season off with a 0-0 draw. Corinthians had the most draws in the league last season and had a total of ten 0-0s. A terrible first game of the season for Botafogo, São Paulo were on a completely different level though. Really good performance by them and especially Pato. Wonder if he’ll be able to keep it up though. Atlético-PR started from where they left off last season with a narrow 1-0 victory over Grêmio.

I've currently got Criciuma-Palmeiras on and Palmerias' return to the top flight hasn't gone to plan. Criciuma just grabbed a goal and then Palmeiras should have equalised but his shot went flying over. Still plenty time left though.

And with your other post with the Ajax game, not just a crazy score line...

EDIT: Two late goals for Palmerias looks to have given them the three points. Only a couple of minutes remaining.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.