(Original post by alexsong)
    would be interesting if it was true yeah
    Hmm the commentators of BBC radio 5 have lied to the public

Either way it's been a loooong time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    hes better than giroud though plus hes got pace which we need
    He's only slightly better than Giroud, we need a top Striker to lead the line next season

ReputationRep:
    We got QPR/Wigan/Newcastle Left.
    QPR, should be a easy win. They only have won four times this season.
    Wigan, will be the hardest out of the three, this is when they normally peak.
    Newcastle, at St James Park - Will also be hard, although should win.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else miss alex song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    I think its pretty obvious that Cazorla is the exception - he was an absolute steal. Probably not as good as Mata which is the player we should have bought, but nevertheless I love Santi and think Wenger did brilliantly snapping him up. However my point still stands - why has no-one else been in for players like Mertesacker?
    You say Cazorla is an exception, but what exactly is the domain of signings that we are discussing here? Only those from the past two seasons? If so, why not look further back? There are many examples of players that Wenger has picked up, absent of much competition from other clubs, who have turned out to be great players.

I'm not even sure that I see where the problem is with signing Mertesacker. He's played pretty well for us. In his case, we could have bought Cahill at roughly the same time. Presumably you think that because other clubs were also in for Cahill, that somehow marks him out as better quality than Mert? I don't think that's true. In fact I think that's a typical case in which Wenger realised that the player who was attracting all the media and club interest was actually overhyped, would be too expensive, and saw an equally good option in Mertesacker anyway.

I agree that failing to sign Mata was a mistake (albeit we don't know the intricacies of the process and whether Mata actively chose Chelsea over us, making it difficult for us to do anything about it). But every manager makes some transfer mistakes. In general I don't think that big fees and big club interest in players necessarily makes for a good signing. Neither do I see what support there is for such a claim.

(Original post by qwerty2002)
    Anyone else miss alex song
    I certainly do. I haven't yet heard any argument to convince me that we don't miss the physicality he bought to our midfield, particularly in big away matches.

ReputationRep:
    On non Arsenal news Dzeko looks like he'll be signing for Dortmund, he posted a picture of a plane on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/Yp-UNmmQql/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    On non Arsenal news Dzeko looks like he'll be signing for Dortmund, he posted a picture of a plane on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/Yp-UNmmQql/
    Why does that mean he's going to Dortmund?

Edit: oh just scrolled down in the comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    You say Cazorla is an exception, but what exactly is the domain of signings that we are discussing here? Only those from the past two seasons? If so, why not look further back? There are many examples of players that Wenger has picked up, absent of much competition from other clubs, who have turned out to be great players.

I'm not even sure that I see where the problem is with signing Mertesacker. He's played pretty well for us. In his case, we could have bought Cahill at roughly the same time. Presumably you think that because other clubs were also in for Cahill, that somehow marks him out as better quality than Mert? I don't think that's true. In fact I think that's a typical case in which Wenger realised that the player who was attracting all the media and club interest was actually overhyped, would be too expensive, and saw an equally good option in Mertesacker anyway.

I agree that failing to sign Mata was a mistake (albeit we don't know the intricacies of the process and whether Mata actively chose Chelsea over us, making it difficult for us to do anything about it). But every manager makes some transfer mistakes. In general I don't think that big fees and big club interest in players necessarily makes for a good signing. Neither do I see what support there is for such a claim.

I certainly do. I haven't yet heard any argument to convince me that we don't miss the physicality he bought to our midfield, particularly in big away matches.
    My point was that in defense of players like Podolski and Mertesacker, people point out how they've got so many caps between them for a side like Germany, yet you have to ask yourself, why is that no-else has picked them up? Is just a fact I guess, that over the past 8 or so years, we've always looked to bring in second-rate players and I can't remember the last time we landed a big name top player, excluding perhaps Arshavin and Santi.

On a completely unrelated point, if you look at our transfers over the past 7/8 years, they haven't been a shining success on the whole.

Spoiler:
    Show

Almunia - flop
    Flamini - deserted
    Eboue - flop
    Bendtner - flop
    Mannone - flop
    Traore - flop
    Hleb - deserted
    Diaby - unrealised potential
    Adebayor - deserted and now a flop
    Walcott - partial flop
    Rosicky - relative success
    Song - deserted/left
    Gallas - flop
    Denilson - flop
    Eduardo - flop
    Sagna - relative success
    Nasri - deserted
    Ramsey - relative success
    Arshavin - flop
    Sylvestre - flop
    Vermaelan - relative success
    Squids - flop
    Koscielny - relative success
    Miyachi - unknown
    Chamakh - flop
    Mertesacker - relative success
    Santos - flop
    Arteta - relative success
    Park - flop
    Campbell - unknown
    Ox - relative success
    Gervinho - flop
    Jenkinson - relative success
    Cazorla - relative success
    Podolski - relative success
    Giroud - relative success
    Monreal - relative success

I know the later are time-dependent, but hopefully we've turned a corner with our signings and lost the habit of signing deadwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Why does that mean he's going to Dortmund?

Edit: oh just scrolled down in the comments
    Yeah he's basically saying good bye. He'd be a good signing for them though.

ReputationRep:
    My point was that in defense of players like Podolski and Mertesacker, people point out how they've got so many caps between them for a side like Germany, yet you have to ask yourself, why is that no-else has picked them up? Is just a fact I guess, that over the past 8 or so years, we've always looked to bring in second-rate players and I can't remember the last time we landed a big name top player, excluding perhaps Arshavin and Santi.

On a completely unrelated point, if you look at our transfers over the past 7/8 years, they haven't been a shining success on the whole.

Spoiler:
    Show

Almunia - flop
    Flamini - deserted
    Eboue - flop
    Bendtner - flop
    Mannone - flop
    Traore - flop
    Hleb - deserted
    Walcott - partial flop
    Song - deserted/left
    Gallas - flop
    Denilson - flop
    Eduardo - flop
    Sagna - relative success
    Nasri - deserted
    Arshavin - flop
    Sylvestre - flop
    Squids - flop
    Miyachi - unknown
    Chamakh - flop
    Santos - flop
    Park - flop
    Campbell - unknown
    Ox - relative success
    Gervinho - flop

I know the later are time-dependent, but hopefully we've turned a corner with our signings and lost the habit of signing deadwood.

The deserted ones aren't really to do with the transfers made as they were good for us before they went

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    How many years have we been waiting for a big summer ? It is ground hog year mate go out the CL and FA cup in the same week in march or February and then scrape into top 4 in last few weeks then do the bare minimum to preserve top 4 status in the summer
    Lol sad. But true as of 2011. Maybe next year might be the big one.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Almunia - flop
    Flamini - deserted
    Eboue - flop
    Bendtner - flop
    Mannone - flop
    Traore - flop
    Hleb - deserted
    Walcott - partial flop
    Song - deserted/left
    Gallas - flop
    Denilson - flop
    Eduardo - flop
    Sagna - relative success
    Nasri - deserted
    Arshavin - flop
    Sylvestre - flop
    Squids - flop
    Miyachi - unknown
    Chamakh - flop
    Santos - flop
    Park - flop
    Campbell - unknown
    Ox - relative success
    Gervinho - flop

Am I the only person who's actually excited to see Miyachi play properly? The buzz around this Japanese wonder kid was immense a while back. What's his deal, does he have to finish school or something before we see him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielnkwocha)
    Am I the only person who's actually excited to see Miyachi play properly? The buzz around this Japanese wonder kid was immense a while back. What's his deal, does he have to finish school or something before we see him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's injured atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Almunia - flop
    Flamini - deserted
    Eboue - flop
    Bendtner - flop
    Mannone - flop
    Traore - flop
    Hleb - deserted
    Walcott - partial flop
    Song - deserted/left
    Gallas - flop
    Denilson - flop
    Eduardo - flop
    Sagna - relative success
    Nasri - deserted
    Arshavin - flop
    Sylvestre - flop
    Squids - flop
    Miyachi - unknown
    Chamakh - flop
    Santos - flop
    Park - flop
    Campbell - unknown
    Ox - relative success
    Gervinho - flop

calling transfers like Koscielny for 8m, Jenkinson for 1m, and Cazorla for 13m 'relative' successes is ludicrous. Fair enough to be disappointed with Nasri, Hleb deserting but for example we turned around Song/nasri/Adebayor for 50m net profit combined which are definitely good transfers. The likes of Park, Chamakh etc cost peanuts whilst Eduardo, Flamini, Denilson were/can be sold on at no loss.

The only really expensive flops weve had recently are Arshavin, Santos, Squillachi(wages) and potentially Gervinho and even these arent huge amounts really, so my only real issue is with the lack of ambition in the transfer market. When Wenger does spend he generally does very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I'm not convinced a draw is a very good result. To be honest, I can see Chelsea beating United at Old Trafford, and then if Spurs beat Chelsea at WHL (which I think is also entirely plausible) we miss out on top four.
    Wow some really big 'ifs' there. And Chelsea play Spurs at Stamford Bridge so I don't see them losing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    The deserted ones aren't really to do with the transfers made as they were good for us before they went
    True, but half the trick is keeping your good players and adding to them with other equally good players. Otherwise, it seems like we've been a bit of revolving door with our transfers.

(Original post by Zürich)
    calling transfers like Koscielny for 8m, Jenkinson for 1m, and Cazorla for 13m 'relative' successes is ludicrous. Fair enough to be disappointed with Nasri, Hleb deserting but for example we turned around Song/nasri/Adebayor for 50m net profit combined which are definitely good transfers. The likes of Park, Chamakh etc cost peanuts whilst Eduardo, Flamini, Denilson were/can be sold on at no loss.

The only really expensive flops weve had recently are Arshavin, Santos, Squillachi(wages) and potentially Gervinho and even these arent huge amounts really, so my only real issue is with the lack of ambition in the transfer market. When Wenger does spend he generally does very well.
    It's quite sad you see a transfer merely as a bit of business. It doesn't matter that Chamakh is an utter and complete failure of a striker for us - we bought him for nothing and can sell him for a small sum right? No, it's the fact we even bought such a player in the first place to rely on as a (second)striker that I call his transfer a flop. We don't have bundles of cash running around the pitch for us - we have players, and we need good ones. Turning a profit or buying on the cheap to then say oh well, he only cost a million is not the point - it's the fact that we filled positions in our squad with such dross. Maybe I should have used the word signings rather than transfers so you wouldn't just think it was all about Arsenal PLC rather than Arsenal FC. :sigh:

Let's be honest, that list looks pretty horrible.

ReputationRep:
    True, but half the trick is keeping you good players and adding to them with other equally good players. Otherwise, it seems like we've been a bit of revolving door with our transfers.

It's quite sad you see a transfer merely as a bit of business. It doesn't matter that Chamakh is an utter and complete failure of a striker for us - we bought him for nothing and can sell him for a small sum right? No, it's the fact we even bought such a player in the first place to rely on as a (second)striker that I call his transfer a flop. We don't have bundles of cash running around the pitch for us - we have players, and we need good ones. Turning a profit or buying on the cheap to then say oh well, he only cost a million is not the point - it's the fact that we filled positions in our squad with such dross. Maybe I should have used the word signings rather than transfers so you wouldn't just think it was all about Arsenal PLC rather than Arsenal FC. :sigh:

Face it, that list looks pretty horrible.
    I think that's just a sign of how low we've become in terms of football. I do agree with Zurich when he says most of our signings have been astute but the underlying fact is that it's bought no success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Zurich I don't see why your so harsh on Ramsey. Yes he's a limited player BUT SO WAS PARLOUR and he's similar to him. He'll run into the ground for us and if he had more composure he would be a really special player to have. I used to have a similar view to you but come to think of it a Ramsey-Wilshere midfield for the next 10 years? :coma:
    Sacrilege! :eek:

ReputationRep:

Let's be honest, that list looks pretty horrible.
    Woah calm down there, lets not forget chamakh was performed amazing in the CL for Bordeaux and for the first 7 months he was with us I was a massive fan of his, the guy was great in the air and a top finisher then he seemed to die out for some reason. Such a shame but I would take chamakh in his prime over any striker we have at the club now. To say the guy was not worth buying on a free is a ridiculous claim considering how many goals he scored in the champions league year in year out

Wenger says 'everybody's in' for Geoffrey Kondogbia :holmes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.