Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nana96)
    Congrats on all the offers!! Does anyone have any advice on how I should prepare for my interview? I really want to ace it and get an offer, ucl is my dream uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Know your personal statement very well! The interview will be personalised to you so know it well and also your BMAT essay. They may also ask "why UCL?" "why medicine" but most of the questions will be based on something in you PS. For example I mentioned the Da Vinci robot in my PS so they asked quite a bit on robotic surgery :P They are very friendly and the success rate is high so you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiemed)
    Yes, thrilled and relieved.
    Tips are to study your personal statement and to read up on recent medical news and developments. However, the most important thing is to be relaxed and to be yourself. Sorry - that is so cliché, but it's true! I was asked about healthcare in the USA (because I have lived there) and could not answer it at all. Struggled with some other questions too, and came out feeling like I had failed it. But overall, I did succeed in not being too nervous and had a lovely conversation with the interviewers, that was filled with a lot of smiling and even some laughter.
    So yes, keep that in mind! Also prepare for the usual 'Why do you want to study Medicine?' question because, although I did not, many people I spoke to got asked that immediately.
    Congrats to you
    Can I just ask, did you get asked questions on your BMAT essay? And if so, when did they give you a copy of it and what did you get asked on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang599)
    Know your personal statement very well! The interview will be personalised to you so know it well and also your BMAT essay. They may also ask "why UCL?" "why medicine" but most of the questions will be based on something in you PS. For example I mentioned the Da Vinci robot in my PS so they asked quite a bit on robotic surgery :P They are very friendly and the success rate is high so you should be fine!
    Thanks so much I will defo be taking my ps apart ahah! One last question, do they ask you any science related qs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andante22)
    It was about mortality rates, a question if they should be published so that everyone can access it, sth that it could discourage good surgeons who often take risky cases and thus have high mortality rate, sth like that. Hope I helped even just a little bit
    Thanks. Yes, you have helped me a lot more than just a little bit. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webmasterx12)
    Its along the lines of " Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on more difficult cases. Publishing their mortality rates may deter them from doing so. Discuss........"
    Thank you so much. Hope I can remember at least some of what I wrote...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please remind me of the BMAT essay Darwin question with the quote:

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much I will defo be taking my ps apart ahah! One last question, do they ask you any science related qs?
    Nope, none at all! Well the closest academic question I got asked was "why do you think life expectancy has increase so much the past 100 years?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by great life)
    Thank you so much. Hope I can remember at least some of what I wrote...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They give you a copy of your essay beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Does ucl ask any ethical scenarios or ethical stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to send in additional references to UCL from work experience after having being invited to interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ededed123)
    Is it necessary to send in additional references to UCL from work experience after having being invited to interview?
    No it isn't, I'm not sure how they use it either.

Does ucl ask any ethical scenarios or ethical stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Each interview is mainly based around what you have written in your PS, so unless you have written about an ethical issue in your PS or your BMAT essay then it's unlikely to crop up. However there is a still possibility as each interview is different.

ReputationRep:
    Offer, interviewed on 5th, very happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bastille7)
    Offer, interviewed on 5th, very happy
    Congrats. You must be thrilled. Is UCL your first choice?

How was your interview? How much time do you get to go through your BMAT essay? I have my interview coming up. Hope I can join the elite club of offer holders...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by great life)
    Congrats. You must be thrilled. Is UCL your first choice?

How was your interview? How much time do you get to go through your BMAT essay? I have my interview coming up. Hope I can join the elite club of offer holders...

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL is my first choice yeah It depends what time you arrive, but quite a bit. Definitely enough. My interview seemed terrible! I honestly thought I'd blown it, didn't feel like I'd said enough but I think just go in, smile and relax.

ReputationRep:
    Awaiting a rejection from UCL as my BMAT scores were not very high. 4.7 5.0 and 4A
    I don't know what's taking them so long, the wait is getting my hopes high that they may just give me an interview. Awaiting rejection, awaiting rejection...

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think theres much chance of still getting an interview. 6.5 5.5 and 3.5A Bmat, 2A*2A a level predictions, 7A*S/3A's GCSES, quite a lot of work experience volunteering extra curricular ect so id say a decent personal statement.

Please can someone give me some information, desperate here! i really really liked UCL so would be very sad if i didn't hear anything at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bibzilla)
    Awaiting a rejection from UCL as my BMAT scores were not very high. 4.7 5.0 and 4A
    I don't know what's taking them so long, the wait is getting my hopes high that they may just give me an interview. Awaiting rejection, awaiting rejection...
    I have an offer with 4.5 5.5 2.5A, your bmat score is not low. There's still hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got an interview today in the afternoon?
    Couldn't be more stressed

ReputationRep:
    Are UCL still giving out interviews? If so, does anyone know when (datewise) they stop handing them out?

I'm just not entirely sure if anyone has received interviews for March

ReputationRep:
    I really hope they are, yeah does anyone know when they'll stop handing them out??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2014

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.