Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinaBelcher)
    what do you think the lowest gcse grades are that can get you into oxford??
    IMHO......

If a student's mother dies 2 weeks before GCSE exams then 1 A, 7 Bs and 2 Cs might be acceptable, if everything else is sparklingly good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone out here has had email confirmations for faculty/college registrations for the July Oxford open days.

I have booked both faculty and college events but so far I have not had any confirmation emails.

Maybe I am being a bit of a twonk, but when I registered for the 'March Oxford Classics' and the 'June Durham Classics' talks, I got fairly prompt email confirmations.

I imagine they are just swamped with registrations and confirmations will follow in due course, but it would be good to know if anyone else has had confirmations.

Thanks,
    Gerry
    Omfg you do actually speak normally :rofl:
    What is it with you and your lovely way of speaking in the other thread XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the difference is chatty and worried.... dude!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...or maybe I have an Oxford voice and a Cambridge voice

ReputationRep:
    IMHO......

There are always going to be exceptions, where someone might get low grades but with extenuating circumstances, but I suspect that normal looks like 7+ A*s.

But for 'the lowest', I think this really depends on the circumstances.

If a student's mother dies 2 weeks before GCSE exams then 1 A, 7 Bs and 2 Cs might be acceptable, if everything else is spankingly good.

Also, as we all know, an offer is based on many elements including AS results, Oxford's own tests, PS, school reference and the interview, as well as GCSE's.....

...but assuming no extenuating circumstances and averagely brilliant other elements then I would assume that (say) 4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough.

Oxford are looking for the brightest and the best and GCSE's are just another clue as to whether you are up to it - most are not.

Gerry
    "4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough." Speaking as someone with an offer with 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (and no extenuating circumstances) - not true! The average number of A* may well be around 7, but that means there are plenty of people below and above because of how averages are calculated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    "4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough." Speaking as someone with an offer with 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (and no extenuating circumstances) - not true! The average number of A* may well be around 7, but that means there are plenty of people below and above because of how averages are calculated
    Fair point.

ReputationRep:
    ...or maybe I have an Oxford voice and a Cambridge voice
    I like Cambridge voice more :ahee: our chatterbox population made you be :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    I like Cambridge voice more :ahee: our chatterbox population made you be :banana2:
    I am a complex dude and I have multitudinous aspects to my being, but deep down.....

PS That banana is just groooving.

ReputationRep:
    I am a complex dude and I have multitudinous aspects to my being, but deep down I'm very shallow.

PS That banana is just groooving.
    :bl:

ReputationRep:

Too much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I'm a 2017 hopeful sorry to jump on the thread!
    I'm in the middle of my GCSEs, hoping for about 7A*s and the rest As... with the exception of maths. I rarely get above a strong C, and it sticks out like a sore thumb!
    I want to apply for a dual Politics-History degree, so Maths is pretty unrelated. Do you think it'll hinder my application?
    I've got horses and compete heavily in dressage, I've had a job as a stablehand for 3 years but I'm quitting to get a 'real' job and I'm looking to do charity work in the next year. I'm also looking at setting up a business. I read a lot on my subjects and I'm aiming for 90%+ in my A-levels (History, Business, Psychology, and English Lit). Politics clashed with History, sadly
    What are my chances? Should I stop worrying about Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristaWinchester)
    Hi all,
    I'm in the middle of my GCSEs, hoping for about 7A*s and the rest As... with the exception of maths. I rarely get above a strong C, and it sticks out like a sore thumb!
    I want to apply for a dual Politics-History degree, so Maths is pretty unrelated. Do you think it'll hinder my application?
    I've got horses and compete heavily in dressage, I've had a job as a stablehand for 3 years but I'm quitting to get a 'real' job and I'm looking to do charity work in the next year. I'm also looking at setting up a business. I read a lot on my subjects and I'm aiming for 90%+ in my A-levels (History, Business, Psychology, and English Lit). Politics clashed with History, sadly
    I'd do your best to push maths up to a B if you possibly can to be honest. Work hard, look through past papers to see where it is you're going wrong, talk to your teachers about it. But if you're doing well enough when you start A levels, it's worth a try applying - it's only one of your five choices, and if you don't apply you won't know.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristaWinchester)
    Hi all,
    It may be too late to address your problems with Maths (if you have not taken papers then concentrating on this subject during revision may help) and you won't know for sure how you have done until August. I would suggest assessing the position then. Maths is a facilitating subject so in the event it does prove an outlier, I would suggest discussing the option of re-taking the GCSE with your teachers since it is easier to gain the basic competence needed throughout your career at school than to acquire it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    It may be too late to address your problems with Maths (if you have not taken papers then concentrating on this subject during revision may help) and you won't know for sure how you have done until August. I would suggest assessing the position then. Maths is a facilitating subject so in the event it does prove an outlier, I would suggest discussing the option of re-taking the GCSE with your teachers since it is easier to gain the basic competence needed throughout your career at school than to acquire it later.
    Generally, if you mess up one subject (say, Maths, for example) but do well at GCSE overall and the subject in question is not being carried-on or relevant to your final degree course choice, does it matter too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Generally, if you mess up one subject (say, Maths, for example) but do well at GCSE overall and the subject in question is not being carried-on or relevant to your final degree course choice, does it matter too much?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    No.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    Great! Are you going to make a direct application? What are you hoping to study?
    Yes I think I will make a direct one, hopefully chinese!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isla42)
    Yes I think I will make a direct one, hopefjully chinese!
    OMG same! Haha do you do an A level in Chinese? What are your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    OMG same! Haha do you do an A level in Chinese? What are your grades?
    Ah cool No I don't chinese but I'm hoping for 3-4 As and 1-2 Bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isla42)
    Ah cool No I don't chinese but I'm hoping for 3-4 As and 1-2 Bs
    Oh right cool! What colleges you looking at?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.