Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura143)
    I got 870 for DA this year so don't think that's the case :/

Is there anywhere on TSR yet with a poll for people's average UKCAT score? So we can get a rough idea if there's been a change in how well people are scoring this year? I think there was a poll last year...

Good luck to everybody who's still yet to sit their UKCAT! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found a poll for the UKCAT on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...%202016%20poll
    Not many people have voted yet, but I think the thread is relatively unknown!

ReputationRep:
    What are likely questions they'd ask in interviews about the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoeADeer)
    What are likely questions they'd ask in interviews about the NHS?
    I'm guessing here, but I'd think it'd be along the lines of; FYFV, A&E waiting times, ageing population, hinchingbrooke/privatisation, maybe even something on Mid Staffs etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    why swansea may i ask
    Cos I did the GAMSAT in March and I got a score of 60 which should be good enough to get to interview there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    I'm guessing here, but I'd think it'd be along the lines of; FYFV, A&E waiting times, ageing population, hinchingbrooke/privatisation, maybe even something on Mid Staffs etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Call me stupid but what is FYFV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Call me stupid but what is FYFV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Five Year Forward View. The 'plan' for the future NHS:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/futurenhs/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Five Year Forward View. The 'plan' for the future NHS:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/futurenhs/
    Ye thought so! Just wanted to be sure haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perfect, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I just have a quick question. I'm a pre-reg pharmacist, hopefully qualifying in September, spent my year training in hospital, rotating through different areas of medicine and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, been part of discussions on patients care with consultants, nurses and other doctors. Lots of patient contact also. I really have learnt so much about the NHS and what is to be a doctor over this year.

I want to apply for GEM, I really fancy Warwick too. Does anyone know if that would count towards the 70 hour work experience, or is it specifically voluntary work they are after?

Also I'm planning on only applying for UKCAT GEM courses (got a huge pre-reg exam to study for), anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonWill71)
    Hey guys,

I just have a quick question. I'm a pre-reg pharmacist, hopefully qualifying in September, spent my year training in hospital, rotating through different areas of medicine and working as part of a multidisciplinary team, been part of discussions on patients care with consultants, nurses and other doctors. Lots of patient contact also. I really have learnt so much about the NHS and what is to be a doctor over this year.

I want to apply for GEM, I really fancy Warwick too. Does anyone know if that would count towards the 70 hour work experience, or is it specifically voluntary work they are after?

Also I'm planning on only applying for UKCAT GEM courses (got a huge pre-reg exam to study for), anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!
    They wouldnt count my nursing placement hours, so not sure if they consider hours that are part of your studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonWill71)
    Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
    For our cohort it had to be care or voluntary work, not education. Warwick have a bad habit of changing admissions requirements every 5 minutes so I recommend you just email them: [email protected]

They don't bite

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Human Biology and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks. Not sure if I am 100% ready yet and to be honest its the QR section that I am very rusty on. DR is my best section and with more practice I will improve on VR and AR. I am just worried about QR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenniferuttams)
    Hi Guys,
    I'm currently a 2nd year student doing Human Biology and my UKCAT is in 2 weeks. Not sure if I am 100% ready yet and to be honest its the QR section that I am very rusty on. DR is my best section and with more practice I will improve on VR and AR. I am just worried about QR
    Honestly QR is so much easier in the exam than in practise. I was getting barely 700 in mock tests and got 810 in the real thing. Medify is a really good resource to practise using the number pad and calculator as well as being pretty similar to the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've been really struggling with what to do and absolutely nobody knows really what to advise me to do about this. Over the last two years, i've been very indecisive about things; I get adamant that I want to study medicine and then something (first it was a teacher after my AS results came out) that put me off of studying it, and so I gave up. I went through sixth form with all sorts of obstacles (including a couple of family deaths and some other struggles) which I suppose could classify as extenuating circumstances. I'm HOPING to come out of this year with AAB or ABB. I currently hold an offer for Bath (a university which I really love) for biomedical sciences for AAB, and I had decided that perhaps I should go down the graduate entry route. What i'd like to know is; as people attempting to get into graduate entry medicine now, would you suggest to me I do this, or take a third year of A-levels (with extenuating circumstances) and apply for undergraduate medicine? Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hinicetomeetyou)
    Hi guys, I've been really struggling with what to do and absolutely nobody knows really what to advise me to do about this. Over the last two years, i've been very indecisive about things; I get adamant that I want to study medicine and then something (first it was a teacher after my AS results came out) that put me off of studying it, and so I gave up. I went through sixth form with all sorts of obstacles (including a couple of family deaths and some other struggles) which I suppose could classify as extenuating circumstances. I'm HOPING to come out of this year with AAB or ABB. I currently hold an offer for Bath (a university which I really love) for biomedical sciences for AAB, and I had decided that perhaps I should go down the graduate entry route. What i'd like to know is; as people attempting to get into graduate entry medicine now, would you suggest to me I do this, or take a third year of A-levels (with extenuating circumstances) and apply for undergraduate medicine? Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to read ^^
    If you get AAB then go for undergraduate, no shadow of a doubt. It will save you a tonne of money and is the logical option. If you get ABB and can't get universities to accept your circumstances as extenuating, then GEM is an option to consider. Please note there is a large uncertainty about whether GEM will exist in the future, the government is taking strides to reduce the number of places available so really, really, really do not bank on it. Treat it as a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    Take the third year, find out where you can apply and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm currently in the process of applying for GEM. As far as i'm aware there are more advantages to applying as a college applicant compared to graduate entrant e.g. less competitive. So i would suggest taking a third year of a-levels.

Its a career choice you need to be certain off however its perfectly normal as a young adult to be indecisive about the career path to pursue. I will say, try and gain as much healthcare related experience to see if it is for you e.g. work in carehome.

ReputationRep:
    Take the third year for sure. It would be a huge shame to do your biomed degree only for GEM to be scrapped before you get a chance to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Going with everyone else here. Absolutely spend one more year and sort your a levels out. Just think for a second about how much more money it would take to do your latter option. For me the equivalent idea would be....would you prefer a date with scarlet Johansen or be set on fire? Decide early- stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody for all of the sound advice, really appreciate it. I hope you guys all manage to make your way in, as you say, GEM is so competitive and I guess it feels much like a last chance to most of you :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.