Miscellaneous Thread Part II Watch

This discussion is closed.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
another acorn ramble...

So I was thinking about race last night.. because of a thread on here about white privalidge.

--

Through my life, I have lived in 4 types of places:

1 - countryside, 100% white british, very few people, no problems, very traditional.
2 - town, 90% white british, larger more people, few problems, averagly traditional.
3 - diverse london university, 50% white british, loads of people, still very few problems, very modern.
4 - northern town, 80% white, lots of people, lots of problems, pretty modern.

i find myself torn a lot.. because there is a huge part of me that idolises the first two.. they were where I grew up as a child, lovely places, still had a lot of what I grew up viewing as english culture. though should be more specifically viewed as 'southern countryside english culture' as its not at all applicable to english cities/more modern places, and quite different from northern culture/tradition. -- but they not diverse at all. a close friend of mine was sikh, indian origin, and until I was 16, was my only non-white friend.. in my school, there were probably 6-10 non-white students out of over two thousand..

And yes, there was a fair bit of rasicsm.. a lot of older people in the areas, had never had any exposer to other cultures, or properly met anyone from a different race, so as an enviroment it bread intolerance.. because all those people knew about other races where what they read in the papers and saw on the news, which was never good.. (imagine your whole knowledge of islam comes from the daily mail)

now what I have been thinking about lately, is that it seems quite natrual that people who were happy with their childhood, want their children to grow up in a similar enviroment to them. You see it all the time..

'I wish my child could have grown up in the 90s, with all our culture'
' I wish my child could have grown up without phones/internet'
' I wish my child could have grown up when I did, where it was safe to play outside and leave your door unlocked'

Etc.

They are all quite common opinions, and stem from our desire to give our children a good childhood.. and the only way many of us know how to do that, is drawing from either our own good childhood, or trying to make sure its different from our own bad childhood. It also stems, with technology, from what we view as acceptable for a child.

For my age (23) a computer + phone was a teenage thing. Most people were getting their first phones around 11-15, and mots people I know started using the internet and computers to al large degree, wen they were around that age also. - so thats what I view it as, something apropriate for a teenager.. but my idea of childhood is entirely without technologoy, because thats what I had (bar games consoles and things)

For my parents generation, a computer and phone are adult things.. because that is when they first experianced them, etc.

So what I am getting at is that it seems fairly normal for us all to have an internal fight between what we view is best for a child (based on our own experiances as a child) and the current state of modern life, and how children are raised now.. (see 3 year olds with ipads and such)

for me, a part of this though is that looking at the areas I grew up in, and where I would want to live..

They would be great for me. but my wife is not white, and our kids will not be white. so would it be best for my kids to grow up in an area that I know is fairly racist in places.. and I know that they will be a tiny minority.. an area that my wife will probably never have a larger community of people from her country that she can spend time with, and my kids will never really get to see that much of their mothers culture..

I have kind of lost track of where I am going with this.. but I guess until I got married, I always presumed that my children would be white, and my ideals about how I would build a family were based around that.. and I guess its only dawning on me now, that there will be a large number of considerations that i will have to factor in, now I may someday be raising a child that comes from two very different cultures, and will likely face problems in their life that I have never experianced or even worried about..

Hmm
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So Sunday League went well...
The Shed End
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know how buying/paying for a phone from the Giffgaff website works? Want to get a new HTC (preferably One M8) but I'm on O2 atm and i want to keep my contract at around £15-20 a month. It says on the site that all the phones are unlocked which would mean I'd just use my current sim/number on that handset. But do i have to then have a giffgaff goodybag to be on their network as that pushes the price up from £17 a month to almost £30. Don't generally give a **** if it's 3G/4G just can't work out if I'd be paying £17 a month or loads more.
SA-1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423486134.193835.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  118.9 KB

What's the world coming too? This would have sounded obnoxious in say, 2002 or something but now it's something that apparently needs to be taken into consideration 😂

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
boy people really let themselves go past the age of 20

have to scroll back to 2012 to find half decent fapping material on FB
SA-1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pahaha check this attempt to scam me:-

I received this email

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423488974.005514.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  93.4 KB

Then I click on the actual email adress that I received it from

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1423489004.085676.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.3 KB

Thing is, they've made it look so official. I bet if I click on the link I'll have to sign in, and then they'll somehow get my login details.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone here actually lift? srs
jam277
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
Anyone here actually lift? srs
I did but I'm now broke. On average I lift 3 times a week for 4 months a year.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I lift food to my mouth
The Shed End
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I lift your mum...with my d*ck
jam277
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I miss tom ford.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
I miss tom ford.
has he gone?
swirly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I miss talking to Deshi about The Vampire Diaries :moon:

GOAT show tbf
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
also, found out today that they are happy to move my interview to the day before, so that I can go to it, before catching my flights to china.

--

Raises questions for me though, of is this a good thing..

I will be interviewed one day by myself... and then they will interview possibly 4-7 more people in half an hour slots on the second day..

Seems like it has the potential to work in my favour - standing out from the crowd, and getting to go first, get all of my great things said, etc.

Hmm.. just trying to clutch at any straws to hope that I get it.. (my current work has just faced a ton of redundancies, not me, but its pretty chaotic, and I dont want to be there at all any more..need this new job)
swirly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
50 Cent did an AMA :lol: (verified)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...k_me_anything/

Iggy azalea's booty real or no?!!!

[–]Official50Cent[S] 4252 points 8 months ago
next time i see her ima squeeze it and find out for you ok. I will report back to you shortly lol

:rofl:
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
I miss tom ford.
I didn't even notice he was gone

Posted from TSR Mobile
JulianRothschild
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where is Tom_Ford actually? I miss his rambling nature.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JulianRothschild)
Where is Tom_Ford actually? I miss his rambling nature.
The guy is surely autistic. Sent me all manner of gay messages and images by PM before actually coming out. No issues with him being gay but he is a strange guy.

If ever one guy shoots up a school etc from TSR, then it will be Tom_Ford though.
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thought it was all for show, didn't actually think he even took it to PM's wtf :rofl3:
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I miss him

Always liked him as a poster.

Sure he had a bit of a crazy side, and was a bit of a character.. but thats what a good forum needs.. if we were all boring and stayed well within the lines of whats normal to say, then this place would be rubbish.

Seemed like he was going through a tough time, and his posts on employment were getting increasingly more angry.. so I do hope that if he does not return in some form of dupe, that he manages to find a job and has a good life

(however I call dupe iminent, look out for any model/aesthetic themed user name... given his last two were: Mr. Vain, and Tom Ford
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (47)
45.63%
Pro-humanity (56)
54.37%

Watched Threads