Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AffirmedCube)
    Basic organic chemistry, nucleophilic substitution of Br with OH, followed by reprotonation of the O- to OH by addition of a strong acid. I believe this is discussed a few pages back in the thread.
    Dammit do you know what AS stuff we need for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thymolphthalein)
    IAL Jan 2015 had a 3 mark question for briefly describing the steps for determining purity by recrystallization. It did not ask for details though.
    For that you just need to say add 2,4-DNPH and filter, then recrystallise to get the pure solid, and then measure the melting temperature and compare it to known values in a data book

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why is 14aiii 20cm3?

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20120613.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nautic4l)
    You must know SN1 and SN2 (nucleophilic substitution) and how it links to rates, and which one forms a racemic mixture (SN1) vs. a single enantiomer (SN2)! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArielHaeems)
    partial pressure = mole fraction x total pressure

rearranging this, mole fraction = partial pressure / total pressure

so mole fraction does decrease if total pressure increases..?
    thats what i thought
    but on the jan 2010 paper, the answer for number 1 is B:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowanbarnesss)
    For that you just need to say add 2,4-DNPH and filter, then recrystallise to get the pure solid, and then measure the melting temperature and compare it to known values in a data book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I know. I sat for that paper.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, its 1 mark, so you know it will not require any calculations (this does not apply to MCQs).
    The end point is when the no. of moles of acid and base are equal, so because they have the same concentration and the alkali is in excess, it is 20cm3.

ReputationRep:
    You must know SN1 and SN2 (nucleophilic substitution) and how it links to rates, and which one forms a racemic mixture (SN1) vs. a single enantiomer (SN2)! Good luck
    Ah okay thank you Nothing else yeah? Basic organic chem?

ReputationRep:
    What's better HPLC or low resolution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Helps if you remember most of the basic organic chemistry. I've also seen a question regarding E-Z isomers in an IAL paper.

Heterogeneous/Homogeneous catalysts might come up for a few marks with a rate question.

AS mechanisms are important as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thank you Nothing else yeah? Basic organic chem?
    Because the paper is synoptic (I think), they would assume you remember stuff about alkanes and alkenes, as well as free radical substitution (the role of UV light in form radicals). But I don't think will play a big part in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    DOES ANYONE HAVE A DOCUMENT CONTAINING MARK SCHEME ANSWERS TO COMMON/RE-OCCURING QUESTIONS? WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

(ps - sorry for the caps)

ReputationRep:

Why is 15ei the 2nd H on the very bottom?

Is it because it is attached to a C which is attached to a C with 2 Hs on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baymax96)
    thats what i thought
    Oh, I think we are overcomplicating it.

If the pressure increases, the side of the equation with fewer moles is favoured, so more PCl5 is produced, so it's mole fraction goes up. Kp is unaltered, only temperature directly changes it.

ReputationRep:

Spot on

ReputationRep:
    Why does SN1 produce racemic and SN2 doesnt?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baymax96)
    thats what i thought
    See my post earlier on the thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=#post56808187

ReputationRep:

Yes

ReputationRep:
    We need to know it for unit 5, I'm sure. Just to be on the safe side, it would help to know the steps, but I doubt it would be asked. You just need to know that it is used to purify the product, to find out the carbonyl that had react with Brady's, me thinks.
    It came up on the 2015 Jan international paper so I'm learning the stages. It's only a few steps anyway

ReputationRep:
    In Sn1 reactions, the intermediate carbocation is trigonal planar in shape, meaning that the OH- ion can attack the molecule from above or below the plane with equal likelihood. As a result, equimolar amounts of both enantiomers are formed.

Sn2 reactions happen in one step, so no planar intermediate is formed. Instead the OH- ion can only attack the halogenoalkane on the side directly opposite the halogen - forming an optically active mixture with only one enantiomer.
    Lemme know if you want clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2016

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.