Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Is it me or is the VR on Medify horrible?
    I found it horrible initially but after practice, it is getting better. I have gone from 4/10 to 7/10.
    So keep practising and do more untimed questions.

Which questions are you finding horrible: t/f/ct or the comprehension?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr_2b)
    I found it horrible initially but after practice, it is getting better. I have gone from 4/10 to 7/10.
    So keep practising and do more untimed questions.

Which questions are you finding horrible: t/f/ct or the comprehension?
    how do you attempt the comprehension type questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemauricien)
    how do you attempt the comprehension type questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Under the practice section in medify, i have the option to do a mix of both or just one set. Although, if i am not wrong, i may have got this option after a week or two. It may be something that is available after you do a certain number of practice questions. I have also done 2 out of 3 of the mocks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    It seems as though the scores for QR are really high. Was it harder than usual and did you miss out any questions. How hard was in compared to medify/1000q's book. Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr_2b)
    Under the practice section in medify, i have the option to do a mix of both or just one set. Although, if i am not wrong, i may have got this option after a week or two. It may be something that is available after you do a certain number of practice questions. I have also done 2 out of 3 of the mocks.
    My bad , I meant technique wise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    God I am honestly panicking. Abstract reasoning is the one section in the ISC book that I cannot get my head around and no matter how much i practise, i am just not getting it! I am worried I will finish the entire section and still feel the same. Did anyone else feel the same or is this a sign

ReputationRep:
    How does medify compare to the UKCAT? Sitting on September 5th, at the moment verbal and situational are my best on medify (in good time and only on occasion being incorrect) but worried in the UKCAT they will be harder?

I am alright at abstract and really bad at quantitative time is an issue, what are they like on medify vs the real exam?

Also what resources are good apart from medify and 1000Q exhausting medify right now haha

ReputationRep:
    My bad , I meant technique wise

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read the question then try to find key words in the text. If the text is on a subject i dont like, i don't spend too long on it. If the ans is not obvious, pick a random one and flag (so i can come back to it if i have time).
    My big improvement was the t/f/ct and that's because i have stopped "over-analysing" and no longer use my own knowledge; so for eg if the text does not mention the PM is Theresa May then a question asking if the PM is May will be "cant tell".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr_2b)
    I read the question then try to find key words in the text. If the text is on a subject i dont like, i don't spend too long on it. If the ans is not obvious, pick a random one and flag (so i can come back to it if i have time).
    My big improvement was the t/f/ct and that's because i have stopped "over-analysing" and no longer use my own knowledge; so for eg if the text does not mention the PM is Theresa May then a question asking if the PM is May will be "cant tell".
    Ahh I see, t/f/ct questions take so much less time than the sentence one. But sometimes keywords come up in a different form in the text , so what happens then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!!

On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer).

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, t/f/ct questions take so much less time than the sentence one. But sometimes keywords come up in a different form in the text , so what happens then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just try to understand the meaning of the statement. If thr statement is about a subject, maybe scan for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    How do people find the medify mocks compare to the isc mock? Personally I found the isc mock a fair bit easier than the medify ones, not sure if this is just me but I was expecting to do a lot worse in the isc one but actullY found it okay. Apart from QR. That was dreadful 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan1603)
    How do people find the medify mocks compare to the isc mock? Personally I found the isc mock a fair bit easier than the medify ones, not sure if this is just me but I was expecting to do a lot worse in the isc one but actullY found it okay. Apart from QR. That was dreadful 😂😂
    Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty decent, i just skipped the QR,isc are known for getting a bit excited on maths questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmedic123)
    Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!!

On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer).

Thanks in advance
    What's wrong with uniadmissions? I've heard mixed reviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr_2b)
    I do the same :shh: :lol: I usually flunk the history questions And yes, the easiest is T/F/CT

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty decent, i just skipped the QR,isc are known for getting a bit excited on maths questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've also noticed medify use a different scheme for working out your score. I normally do it by scaling up my score to make it out of 600 then add 300 to top and bottom i.e. I got 39/55 in AR on medify, this is equal to 425/600, then I add 300 to top and bottom, giving 725/900. Yet medify say I scored 700? Anyone else notice this? Got my test tomorrow btw hahaha FML

ReputationRep:
    is anyone here finding the VR section so hard?! any good tips??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan1603)
    I've also noticed medify use a different scheme for working out your score. I normally do it by scaling up my score to make it out of 600 then add 300 to top and bottom i.e. I got 39/55 in AR on medify, this is equal to 425/600, then I add 300 to top and bottom, giving 725/900. Yet medify say I scored 700? Anyone else notice this? Got my test tomorrow btw hahaha FML
    Still above 650 so it's fine, good luck tomorrow bruh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still above 650 so it's fine, good luck tomorrow bruh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man! When do you have yours? Feeling a bit more confident I think now

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me whether the QR on medify is representative of the real test. It's too
    time consuming at the moment and the questions can be confusing ( I do A level maths as well)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.