St George's
    5.56%
    Other
    25.75%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    That's very impressive! Well done. I have noticed that you have lots of work experience so you do need to figure out which ones are the best to justify the reasons on what you learnt during work experience and put them on your personal statement. The thing is University of Birmingham really emphasis on doing a lot of volunteering and they really like if people did help the elderly, disabled and sick people. Also they appreciate any part time work because it shows that people are well rounded individuals. I talked to a few people who got rejected from UoB and they were told they weren't doing enough extracurricular activities, eg just saying I play basketball sometimes doesn't count. But other than that you have a very strong application! Are you considering Oxbridge?
    Thank you!

Indeed, it's not going to be easy to figure out which ones I wish to include.
    I think it's fair to say I have a decent amount of volunteering (if you refer back to my stat post), so hopefully that won't hinder me!
    In regards to the extra-curriculars, I'd say my performing arts make me stand out somewhat!

Also, yes, I am considering Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the student room so thought I would post my stats here:

GCSE: 8 A*s, 3 As (unfortunately my As are in core subjects which are always considered when ranking)
    AS: AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Spanish. My teachers have said I will be predicted 4A* grades.
    UKCAT: sat today, 670 average with band 1 SJT
    Work Experience and Voluntary Work:
    1 week at a hospital reception
    1 year at a nursing home for the elderly (still volunteering here)
    1 year on a scheme which helps lower school students with learning difficulties (still a part of this)
    1 week on a general ward in a hospital for endocrinology
    2 days spent in hospital theatres

Extra curricular is sports, qualifying for district and county in some of these. I have a vague idea of where I want to apply, but any recommendations would be extremely helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?

GCSE: 4A*, 7A
    AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
    A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
    UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.
    I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)
    I'm thinking of applying Manchester, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenericEm)
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the student room so thought I would post my stats here:

GCSE: 8 A*s, 3 As (unfortunately my As are in core subjects which are always considered when ranking)
    AS: AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Spanish. My teachers have said I will be predicted 4A* grades.
    UKCAT: sat today, 670 average with band 1 SJT
    Work Experience and Voluntary Work:
    1 week at a hospital reception
    1 year at a nursing home for the elderly (still volunteering here)
    1 year on a scheme which helps lower school students with learning difficulties (still a part of this)
    1 week on a general ward in a hospital for endocrinology
    2 days spent in hospital theatres

Extra curricular is sports, qualifying for district and county in some of these. I have a vague idea of where I want to apply, but any recommendations would be extremely helpful!
    Hey! I'm applying this year too so I'm not an expert aha but I will try and help howevwr I can you should probably avoid unis that score GCSEs heavily because of your 3A's in core subjects such as Edinburgh, Nottingham, Birmingham, Oxford, Leicester and UCL. Also, with your UKCAT you should be fine for most unis apart from the really UKCAT heavy with high average scores (690+) over the years like kings, Edinburgh, Newcastle and, Southampton.

You did really well at AS though, can I ask what UMS you got in unreformed subjects? As if you got 90+ (85+ if you ace the BMAT apparently) you could have a chance at Cambridge! And maybe look at Barts as they look at UCAS tariff and as you are doing four A2s you would be at an advantage here. Perhaps look at Liverpool as they score A's the same as A*'s at GCSE. Also, imperial are not too GCSE heavy they don't really look at them. I'm not sure about others, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Hey! I'm applying this year too so I'm not an expert aha but I will try and help howevwr I can you should probably avoid unis that score GCSEs heavily because of your 3A's in core subjects such as Edinburgh, Nottingham, Birmingham, Oxford, Leicester and UCL. Also, with your UKCAT you should be fine for most unis apart from the really UKCAT heavy with high average scores (690+) over the years like kings, Edinburgh, Newcastle and, Southampton.

You did really well at AS though, can I ask what UMS you got in unreformed subjects? As if you got 90+ (85+ if you ace the BMAT apparently) you could have a chance at Cambridge! And maybe look at Barts as they look at UCAS tariff and as you are doing four A2s you would be at an advantage here. Perhaps look at Liverpool as they score A's the same as A*'s at GCSE. Also, imperial are not too GCSE heavy they don't really look at them. I'm not sure about others, sorry!
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate it My UMS wasn't high for my unreformed so I won't be looking at UMS heavy ones such as Cambridge. I'm hoping that my work experience can help me for universities which focus on that a lot too. I hope you get into the uni you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenericEm)
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate it My UMS wasn't high for my unreformed so I won't be looking at UMS heavy ones such as Cambridge. I'm hoping that my work experience can help me for universities which focus on that a lot too. I hope you get into the uni you want!
    Ooo forgot about work experience, look at Bristol and Keele! And thanks hahaha

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about PBL? Yea or nay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    I don't know enough about it to judge it, but I feel like there's a general, mostly unjustified, consensus that it's poor?

I've spoken to a number of third and fourth year medical students at Liverpool University, which is infamously known for it's PBL, as you likely know. A few of them said they though it weren't the greatest and others said it suited them. However, due to the majority of feedback from Liverpool University medical students being against it they've now (last year, in fact) moved away from it to a more integrated course.

Other than that though, I haven't heard even remotely bad things about PBL from students themselves.

What about yourself?
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    I dislike it a lot and am glad we only have 6 PBL sessions a year at my Med School. Of course, others will disagree - some love it, I personally think it's good to teach you some skills like group work but not so good for teaching Medicine content.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im going into second year at Cardiff who after a rigorous first term of lecture based science and anatomy teaching, we undergo 2 years of CBL (similar but more focussed and directed than PBL - this is gathered from talking to manchester PBL medics).

I personally find it a really great way to learn as it enables me to learn my way, through my own preferred resource and then compare my learning and reading to others to create a much deeper knowledge.
    We have 3 CBL sessions every case, so every 2 weeks. the first 2 are 3 hours long, we get given a case scenario and then decide upon learning outcomes to answer the questions raised. Then throughout the week we undergo lectures, labs and classes to help answer our questions, I would personally say 70% of the information we need to know in years 1 and 2 is provided via lectures and the rest we find ourselves through independant study. We then meet in our groups of 10 next monday to answer the learning outcomes and share our ideas, after this the case evolves with another follow on scenario and we repeat the next week. on the final friday of the 2 weeks we have a 2 hour session to sum up our findings before a final all year lecture to release official learning outcomes for the case and help us ask questions we did not have answered by our group of group facilitator (who prevents us from going off track and will often raise issues for discussion).

It to me is one of the better ways to learn, I hated the 3 months of high intensity lecture based learning, it drained me and I find with so many lectures and classes it was so difficult to review material easily and have it go in (especially with the sheer amount of content).

overall yes I love CBL/PBL (especially at my med school), many dont like the self directed style or the fact that they have to think for themselves, other just dont suit that style and prefer to be spoon-fed information, but for me its fab!

EDIT: forgot to add also that once a week we do a full day of clinical placement in GP surgeries and clinics as well as clinical skills, this is also great!

ReputationRep:
    I am so disappointed. 640 Avg and Band 2, my exam was so hard!
    I have 7A* and 3A (A's in eng lang, maths and ICT.)
    AAAB at AS A's in bio chem and maths.
    I have WE and volunteering at GPs, hospices, nurse, with disabled adults/children, in research too.
    Any ideas or have I blown it? Would rather avoid BMAT but was thinking along the lines of Sheffield, Kings, Birmingham (GCSEs may be too low?), Bristol, Liverpool, HYMS, UEA. I am considering Aberdeen too, but worried my UKCAT is too low. Also was considering St George's but the cut off was 650 last year. Keele may be a good option but I think my volunteering is insufficient.
    I have literally slaved over the UKCAT for about 10-12 weeks and nothing has paid off.

HELP ME PLEASE, I am devastated. How can all this hard work come to an end with one exam

ReputationRep:
    I have 7A*, 3A at GCSE (A in Chemistry)
    AS: ABBBB (A in Bio)
    UKCAT: 660 avg (I got really unlucky in AR) Band 2 SJT
    Personal Statement is looking fine with WE, Volunteering etc

Is there anywhere I'm likely to be interviewed at?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisdale98)
    I have 7A*, 3A at GCSE (A in Chemistry)
    AS: ABBBB (A in Bio)
    UKCAT: 660 avg (I got really unlucky in AR) Band 2 SJT
    Personal Statement is looking fine with WE, Volunteering etc

Is there anywhere I'm likely to be interviewed at?

Thanks!
    I also got really unlucky in AR, so upset!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow these profiles are amazing, mine not so much… however my school is a secondary and I was highest achiever GCSE and AS
    GCSE - 3A* (double science and maths)
    4.5 A's
    2 B's
    AS AABB( A's in math and biology)
    Ukcat next week
    I was wondering if I should bother applying and if I was where? I was thinking St Georges, Glasgow or keele?

ReputationRep:
    I got AABB in my AS, RS Bio Chem and Maths respectively (dropping Maths). I realise this is probably below average but at GCSE I achieved 10 A*'s (and an A in Chemistry) and I'm looking at an A*AA prediction. I sat my ukcat and got 650 average (610 VR 630 AR 710 QR) and Band 1. Considering my AS grades and ukcat aren't amazingly high, what universities do i stand a chance at applying too?

I was considering Kings, Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, UCL, Leeds but I'm open to other places.

WE and volunteering is all fine and I've got a really good reference.
    Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasi98)
    I got AABB in my AS, RS Bio Chem and Maths respectively (dropping Maths). I realise this is probably below average but at GCSE I achieved 10 A*'s (and an A in Chemistry) and I'm looking at an A*AA prediction. I sat my ukcat and got 650 average (610 VR 630 AR 710 QR) and Band 1. Considering my AS grades and ukcat aren't amazingly high, what universities do i stand a chance at applying too?

I was considering Kings, Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, UCL, Leeds but I'm open to other places.

Many thanks!
    Hi, firstly Kings is very heavy on UKCAT so I would advise not to apply there, your'e GCSES are great and birmingham is a good choice for that, UCL doesn't take UKCAT but BMAT so do well in that and you have a very good chance. Cardiff are also quite heavy on GCSEs and don't use UKCAT. As for the rest I haven't looked at them but visit their admissions process to see how they select for interviews, hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Just another stats guy here and wondering if these are ok for:
    4.5 A*s 5As (the .5 was a short course)
    AAAB at AS
    Predicted: A*AA
    UKCAT: 2080, 693 avg band 3
    Are imperial, st george's, southampton and leicester good choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    I don't know enough about it to judge it, but I feel like there's a general, mostly unjustified, consensus that it's poor?

I've spoken to a number of third and fourth year medical students at Liverpool University, which is infamously known for it's PBL, as you likely know. A few of them said they though it weren't the greatest and others said it suited them. However, due to the majority of feedback from Liverpool University medical students being against it they've now (last year, in fact) moved away from it to a more integrated course.

Other than that though, I haven't heard even remotely bad things about PBL from students themselves.

What about yourself?
    I've heard universally bad things about everyone I've spoken to about it in person. But surely it can't be that bad since its so popular? I went to UCL today ( and Bristol yesterday) and was speaking to a medical student there and she said that its very easy for gaps in your learning to form with PBL. I know its not for me but I dont mind a bit (in fact i would like a bit) of PBL, just not my whole course, I'm not paying £9,250 to be taught by any old Tom **** and Harry Having said that, I'm sure the courses are not exclusively PBL and will have a degree of lectures and practicals, but the balance in a course that describes itself as 'PBL' is what I find off-putting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yasi98)

Many thanks!
    avoid kings and notts probably, but the others are looking like very good choices, what about places like QUB, liverpool etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    avoid kings and notts probably, but the others are looking like very good choices, what about places like QUB, liverpool etc?
    Hi Natalie,
    sorry if you're busy!

GCSEs
    7A* and 3A (in Maths, Eng lang and ICT)

AS
    AAAB (A's in Bio Chem and Maths, B is dropped)

PREDICTIONS
    AAA, but my AS is high enough for A*'s in 2 subjects if that is needed.

UKCAT
    An unfortunate 640 band 2.

My WE and volunteering is sufficient, as is my extra curricular, trying to keep this post short so I wont list as I'm sure you get bombarded with them!

These are my questions:
    Would you say HYMS, UEA and Liverpool are good choices?
    On the Sheffield medical school website it says below 1850 wont be considered, is this risky for me?
    Is Bristol a good option considering my UKCAT?
    If I was to apply to Keele, what would you say is a safe amount of volunteering?
    St. George's cut off last year was 650. Too risky?
    My UKCAT scores 24/30 for Nottingham, I was considering here until now.
    Aberdeen- is my UKCAT too low?
    And finally, for Birmingham would you say I need more A* at GCSE to be competitive?

I'm terribly sorry for the long message, I feel very annoying but after my unexpected UKCAT these are the universities I have come up with over the past couple of days. I don't feel like any part of my application has any strengths.I hope I'm not wasting your time.
    Xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2017

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.