Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    Firstly, I took a bit of a punt and I'm presuming it's wrong by saying that ln(3x)^2 = ln(3x) + ln(3x), and secondly, I have no idea how to prepare for core 4 now because obviously working through past papers until I'm at A* level hasn't worked...
    My preparation will be opening a beer and watching the France game...

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting them to cover topics I hadn't gone over as much, to my luck they covered all the topics I'd say I was best at.

However to my misfortune how they covered them was a whole other story, insane paper tbh.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-g...aries-for-mpc3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarharoun3)
    so it can give 2pi and then inside the integral lnx/x^2
    I did the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kickthebj)
    got a little rant to post about that mother****ing core 3 exam
    it was completely different to anything we've ever seen before????????!!!!!!!!! what the **** like there were 9 question mother****ing 9 ?????????? could anyone even answer question 9 like was it even possible?????? i have never seen anything like that before or been taught how to do it and then you need that in order to answer the next 2 questions and it was worth 8 marks!!!!!!!!!! how the **** i am supposed to ****ing show that i do in fact know how to complete part c if i can't work out part a because it has never been a question before??????also why would u include a mother ****ing area of a triangle that is irrelevant afcould u pls also explain what ln(3x) squared is i mean the following 7 marks relied on me knowing that????????? (I didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)STOP GIVING US HENCE QUESTIONS WHEN WE CANT WORK OUT THE BIT BEFORE THE ****ING HENCEX^x ????????????????????????//the face that i was RELIEVED about seeing an integration by subsitution question after praying all week that it WOULDN'T come up really says a lota ****ing range question worth 5 MARKS???????Look at the mother****ING PAST PAPERS IN COMPARISON TO THAT QUESTION AND TO ALL THE QUESTIONS???i've been getting As and Bs in all my mocks, i've even got full marks a few times but i managed to miss about about 30 marks worth of questions and then was unable to complete any of the others also giving us a simpsons rule question with SIX strips to do in 4 minutes is quite a lot don't u think???AND SINCE WHEN DID A CORE 3 PAPER HAVE 9 QUESTIONS????????thank u so much aqa looking forward to seeing the grade boundaries as low as ur popularity right now although no matter how low they are i'm still ****ed lol xxxxxxxxxx
    well **** lol, the paper wasnt that bad, it just required a deeper understanding of topics, if you were only doing aqa papers for revision your doing somethign wrong, they dont prepare you for ****, do edexcel, soloman, ocr maybe. doesnt matter how many questions it depends how fast and good you are (comes wiht practise) the boundaries will roughly be the same as last year if not maybe 2 marks lower maximum

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I took a bit of a punt and I'm presuming it's wrong by saying that ln(3x)^2 = ln(3x) + ln(3x), and secondly, I have no idea how to prepare for core 4 now because obviously working through past papers until I'm at A* level hasn't worked...
    Idk. The paper was definitely hard. But for questions like that either you see it or you dont and you will waste a lot of time working out the solution. The paper asked us what was never asked before tbh... so past papers wont help you with that. AQA especially do this whereas Edexcel has a certain style of questions they ask in every exam so past papers are useful there. The best thing to do will be to be ready to apply the knowledge to any question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypandahype)
    Regarding the volumes of revolution question, is it ok to have u as (ln(3x))^2 and v' = x^-2 ?

and then u' = (2/x)*(ln3x) and v = -1/x

and go from there?
    I believe that is what I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirelis)
    i got that and my friend got that too
    I got 4.48. This is also nearly identical to the exact value of the integral so I think it's right.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that this is unrelated but does anybody know how to move a thread? Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes unfortunately ln(x^2) =/= [ln(x)]^2
    (Original post by omarharoun3)
    couldnt you rearrage (lnx)^2 to 2lnx and then take the 2 out of the integral???
    No, I posted a worked solution for that earlier
    (Original post by lollypandahype)
    Regarding the volumes of revolution question, is it ok to have u as (ln(3x))^2 and v' = x^-2 ?and then u' = (2/x)*(ln3x) and v = -1/xand go from there?
    You could start like that but not sure about getting to the final answer. It would have been easier to write it as lnx * (lnx)/x^2 and setting v'=(lnx)/x^2 and u=lnx, as you already integrated lnx/x^2 in part a.

ReputationRep:
    What were the limits for the substitution question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bartbarrow)
    You could start like that but not sure about getting to the final answer. It would have been easier to write it as lnx * (lnx)/x^2 and setting v'=(lnx)/x^2 and u=lnx, as you already integrated lnx/x^2 in part a.
    I got an answer at least roughly similar to what I've seen elsewhere (I can't fully remember the signs). After the first integration by parts the way I did, the integral of u'v was the same as part a so I could just sub in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marelitza)
    What were the limits for the substitution question?
    1 and 0 i believe

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4166871

mark scheme with questions, pls add to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanigger)
    well **** lol, the paper wasnt that bad, it just required a deeper understanding of topics, if you were only doing aqa papers for revision your doing somethign wrong, they dont prepare you for ****, do edexcel, soloman, ocr maybe. doesnt matter how many questions it depends how fast and good you are (comes wiht practise) the boundaries will roughly be the same as last year if not maybe 2 marks lower maximum
    Yeah I agree 100%

ReputationRep:
    Great seeing so many people declaring how easy the paper was and how the only people complaining are ones who didn't revise.

In my school, some of the best students left the exam hall in tears, many people came in after getting As on every past paper (including other exam boards) and then came out expecting a D. Just because you found it easy, it doesn't make it easy

ReputationRep:
    For the Vol of revolution I got 'in its exact form' Pi(4-2ln3 -(ln3)^2).
    This seems correct as when I typed the integral into my calculator and took away the value I wrote down above away from it(expecting to get 0 if my answer is correct) I got something like 2.4x10^-13. So I think my calculator rounded off slightly, leaving a very small decimal left over, what did other people get for this question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JahJah)
    For the Vol of revolution I got 'in its exact form' Pi(4-2ln3 -(ln3)^2).
    This seems correct as when I typed the integral into my calculator and took away the value I wrote down above away from it(expecting to get 0 if my answer is correct) I got something like 2.4x10^-13. So I think my calculator rounded off slightly, leaving a very small decimal left over, what did other people get for this question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got exactly the same. I think it's right, I've seen quite a few people with the same answer

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for an A or A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kickthebj)
    got a little rant to post about that mother****ing core 3 exam
    it was completely different to anything we've ever seen before????????!!!!!!!!! what the **** like there were 9 question mother****ing 9 ?????????? could anyone even answer question 9 like was it even possible?????? i have never seen anything like that before or been taught how to do it and then you need that in order to answer the next 2 questions and it was worth 8 marks!!!!!!!!!! how the **** i am supposed to ****ing show that i do in fact know how to complete part c if i can't work out part a because it has never been a question before??????also why would u include a mother ****ing area of a triangle that is irrelevant afcould u pls also explain what ln(3x) squared is i mean the following 7 marks relied on me knowing that????????? (I didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)STOP GIVING US HENCE QUESTIONS WHEN WE CANT WORK OUT THE BIT BEFORE THE ****ING HENCEX^x ????????????????????????//the face that i was RELIEVED about seeing an integration by subsitution question after praying all week that it WOULDN'T come up really says a lota ****ing range question worth 5 MARKS???????Look at the mother****ING PAST PAPERS IN COMPARISON TO THAT QUESTION AND TO ALL THE QUESTIONS???i've been getting As and Bs in all my mocks, i've even got full marks a few times but i managed to miss about about 30 marks worth of questions and then was unable to complete any of the others also giving us a simpsons rule question with SIX strips to do in 4 minutes is quite a lot don't u think???AND SINCE WHEN DID A CORE 3 PAPER HAVE 9 QUESTIONS????????thank u so much aqa looking forward to seeing the grade boundaries as low as ur popularity right now although no matter how low they are i'm still ****ed lol xxxxxxxxxx
    You obviously didn't do the past paper with 10 questions then, I take it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.