Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    ergh, the most common misconception is that nuclear is needed before we can move to renewables. Renewables are ALREADY cheaper than nuclear, what sense is there in using a more expensive source of energy as a 'stopgap'?
    This is the opposite of everything I've heard, could you provide a source please?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    ergh, the most common misconception is that nuclear is needed before we can move to renewables. Renewables are ALREADY cheaper than nuclear, what sense is there in using a more expensive source of energy as a 'stopgap'?

As for the 'danger' aspect, whilst the risk of failure is very low, that risk is still there (albeit less so in a country like ours which has very few natural disasters) and a single failure makes an entire swathe of land uninhabitable for a very long time. If there was no alternative to coal, oil, gas etc, then I would say yea go for it, but the fact is that it's simply unnecessary to take that risk when renewable sources are the same price, let alone cheaper.
    Yes, but renewables don't have a high enough production rate to match that of fossil fuels. That's why pretty much no government have completely stopped their fossil fuel production and used renewables except Iceland, and that's because they're on top of a plate boundary and use geothermal.
    Nuclear is needed to meet demand until renewables can be advanced to a stage where their production rate is as high as suitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)

As for the 'danger' aspect, whilst the risk of failure is very low, that risk is still there (albeit less so in a country like ours which has very few natural disasters) and a single failure makes an entire swathe of land uninhabitable for a very long time. If there was no alternative to coal, oil, gas etc, then I would say yea go for it, but the fact is that it's simply unnecessary to take that risk when renewable sources are the same price, let alone cheaper.
    Renewable sources would currently be unable to provide enough energy for the whole population. Alongside our unreliable weather, my concern is that we'd struggle to effectively provide energy to the whole of the UK. That's why I support the use of nuclear energy until we are able to effectively switch to renewable sources.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    It's not necessary to define a specific point. It becomes less of an error over time.
    #Jacuzzi

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It's not necessary to define a specific point. It becomes less of an error over time.
    Except there is either a point in time when the error is 0 or it is still an error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Except there is either a point in time when the error is 0 or it is still an error.
    I agree that's probably the case but defining that specific point is completely useless and probably impossible.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I agree that's probably the case but defining that specific point is completely useless and probably impossible.
    I agree but there has to be an event to happen which causes zero error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I agree but there has to be an event to happen which causes zero error
    I agree that event has to occur - it is not necessary, however, that humans be capable of discerning when that event occurs.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I agree that event has to occur - it is not necessary, however, that humans be capable of discerning when that event occurs.
    But if you don't know what the event is which causes the event and you don't know when they occurred how do you know that the event has definitely occurred?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But if you don't know what the event is which causes the event and you don't know when they occurred how do you know that the event has definitely occurred?
    If you see a tree out of the ground, is it safe to say that said tree has been somehow uprooted?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Vote leave internal polling is very promising

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    If you see a tree out of the ground, is it safe to say that said tree has been somehow uprooted?
    9 times out of 10 probably.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    9 times out of 10 probably.
    How did it grow if initially uprooted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Very busy today at work. I actually outnumber the customers.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg 1460831003430.jpg (73.7 KB, 19 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Having some kind of sport to watch all day must be a nice boon.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Having some kind of sport to watch all day must be a nice boon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: jpg 1460832640489.jpg (44.9 KB, 16 views)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The other day I was first in the bar...3 hours after it opened

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The other day I was first in the bar...3 hours after it opened

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice being paid to do nothing. Not nice to have nothing to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How did it grow if initially uprooted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The soil could erode away beneath is which wouldn't be uprooting.

ReputationRep:
    How much did you guys take on the national last week?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.