Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DystopiaisReal)
    I'm not going to guess what results i got; why put myself through that?
    Anyone else absolutely terrified?

Hey you'll be okay. I'm terrified too. I don't want to fail anything. I'm sure you've done okay ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExoIceCream99)
    I agree that my parents did it when they were different and things are different, jobs are harder to get. But I had no other examples.

I know life is harder obviously with less high GCSEs. But it isn't over. I stated it was harder cause I know, but that's what life is like. You have to work hard (unless you're someone like Joey Essex).

It isn't the same thing, the person going to college would have no other option, the Oxford person can be to other universities. I am looking from the perspective because I have known several people who have been there.

Of course they'll be disappointed but none of them appreciate how set 10A*'s and one A gets them compared to 11 D's.

All I said is its not worth worrying too much about. You can still achieve goals and dreams.
    Why you knocking Joey Essex's hustle though :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well **** - I'm screwed if I want to be a lawyer I won't even get 3 A*'s let alone ten 😂

I know it's changed but that's because the government want to push young people into apprenticeships into what they deem more useful jobs e.g. Being an accountant, plumber, engineer or other apprenticeship jobs.

It's really ironic though because we need a lot of doctors and that's the hardest job to get into currently apart from if you want to be a singer or movie star (and we all know what's going on to do with doctors).

To the government university is simply a waste of time when a person can move up the ranks from *****iest pay to less *****ier pay (apprenticeship route.)

Apprenticeships usually require 5 A*-C unless it's an A level sort one they usually want 8 A*-C in GCSE. If you want to be something like a lawyer that's the minimum you need, although you need university (some teacher showed us a chart of the steps to take to be that and a plumber.)

If you get all D's in real life I really feel sorry for you (unless you're a **** and didn't do any revision and failed on purpose, then I have no sympathy, talking about the people who put effort in as much as the A* crew do). But your life isn't over. You will struggle, but those A* people are also going to struggle with the increasing university funds going up to £9,250 a year, so don't feel too bad they're in the same boat (that doesn't include accommodation or anything. Education at its finest).

Regarding the A* people, I don't mind you being a little disappointed, but the way you put it across isn't great. I know it's not your intention, it just hurts the others who wish upon wish they could get 9 A*'s and 2 A's. Regarding Oxford, as long as you got a good mix of A*'s and A's, maybe couple B's and C's in there (not in the subjects that are relevant to your course like it you're doing a course in law they won't care if you have a C in graffics but they will in stuff like RS or English), they won't be too harsh. They mainly focus on your A level grades, UCAS points, and you as a person (e.g. doing NCS, volunteering for a charity, that sort of thing). I know I'm not the boss of you but if you are disappointed I ask you simply put I am a little disappointed but at least I did okay or I didn't fail or even I did good. Because that would make us smile and reply oh well done, reply with our grades and stuff. If you reply so disappointed only *insert less than 10 A* grades* not many people will get on your band wagon.

P.S Thank you to the person in the crown wishing me luck? I couldn't find how to tag because I'm a hopeless being of nature (no wonder I failed ICT...well I don't know for definite but I'm 99% sure).
    For Oxford University they put a strong emphasis on gcse grades, I don't know why as one could improve but probably because of competition I don't know, Cambridge focus less on gcses and a basically all the other unis.. But for example to do maths with economics at lse you need an A in GCSE maths..

And no problem if your on the app just press what I said then 'quote' if on website it said reply under what I say

And yeah it is a bit annoying when people say they've failed even doe they have all A* I agree, it would be better to say something like I didn't meet my target or something..

And those things are so competitive because the while world applies for them so they need to cut some people off and go for the top if you get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Do it Right)
    Why you knocking Joey Essex's hustle though :/
    Cause he can't tell time. Or tie his shoe laces.

ReputationRep:
    All you've got to remember is, someone's 100% might be an A* and your 100% might be an A, the important thing isn't comparing your 100% to anyone else's. As long as you put that 100% in you should be happy with your results. I think my 100% in History is an A* but my 100% in IT is a B. Only compare your results to your own expectations on how well you think you did based on how much work you put in. The fact that you tried your best is something you should be proud of.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    For Oxford University they put a strong emphasis on gcse grades, I don't know why as one could improve but probably because of competition I don't know, Cambridge focus less on gcses and a basically all the other unis.. But for example to do maths with economics you need an A in GCSE maths..

And no problem if your on the app just press what I said then 'quote' if on website it said reply under what I say

And yeah it is a bit annoying when people say they've failed even doe they have all A* I agree, it would be better to say something like I didn't meet my target or something..

And those things are so competitive because the while world applies for them so they need to cut some people off and go for the top if you get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks I'm on mobile but not the app (cause it's a lil **** in my opinion). I know what you mean, they want people to go for the jobs with space.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sahil19)
    All you've got to remember is, someone's 100% might be an A* and your 100% might be an A, the important thing isn't comparing your 100% to anyone else's. As long as you put that 100% in you should be happy with your results. I think my 100% in History is an A* but my 100% in IT is a B. Only compare your results to your own expectations on how well you think you did based on how much work you put in. The fact that you tried your best is something you should be proud of.
    Thanks advice, I like this one
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And btw with 3A*s you can still become a lawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'll only get one but that's maths but I know that's good so idm
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You'll probably do better than you think, what are you expecting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll only get one but that's maths but I know that's good so idm
    I want to be a lawyer as well, as someone with family friends in the profession they have said as long as your English Language is an A then you should be fine, along with high grades in other essay based subjects.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I want to be a lawyer as well, as someone with family friends in the profession they have said as long as your English Language is an A then you should be fine, along with high grades in other essay based subjects.
    Ah okay makes sense, but you need an A 100% in English language?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay makes sense, but you need an A 100% in English language?
    Well it's a good start to get an A in English. Also if you want to go into the corporate side of law then maths at a minimum of an A in expected. For example many Russell Group Uni's expect an A minimum in English and a B minimum in maths. My top 3 priorities are an A* in history and an A in both maths and English.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    You'll probably do better than you think, what are you expecting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths : A*
    English Language: B
    Business: A or B. Not sure
    Statistics: A, maybe A* idk
    Media: C, maybe a B if lucky.
    French: D as I only did 70%, no speaking at all. So C if I'm super lucky.
    ICT: D because some coursework was incomplete but the exam went well so maybe a C.
    Biology: B or A if lucky
    Physics: I'm not sure, between A-C Mark
    Geography: A or maybe if I'm luckier than Joey Essex A*
    Chemistry: C if I'm lucky. C1 was great. C2 and c3 I was so bad.
    I got an A in all my science coursework for triple science (which is 25% of each science)

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually so scared for results day because I missed so much school and I just want 1 A just to feel that I achieved something despite my illness. I can't wait until college even if it will be hard :P
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Well it's a good start to get an A in English. Also if you want to go into the corporate side of law then maths at a minimum of an A in expected. For example many Russell Group Uni's expect an A minimum in English and a B minimum in maths. My top 3 priorities are an A* in history and an A in both maths and English.
    They do say history goes well with being a lawyer.

I'm okay with an A in maths.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Oh and B/C in English literature.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
    I'm actually so scared for results day because I missed so much school and I just want 1 A just to feel that I achieved something despite my illness. I can't wait until college even if it will be hard :P
    College will be hard but more exciting. What you studying?

ReputationRep:
    They do say history goes well with being a lawyer.

I'm okay with an A in maths.
    What A-levels are you taking?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Maths : A*
    English Language: B
    Business: A or B. Not sure
    Statistics: A, maybe A* idk
    Media: C, maybe a B if lucky.
    French: D as I only did 70%, no speaking at all. So C if I'm super lucky.
    ICT: D because some coursework was incomplete but the exam went well so maybe a C.
    Biology: B or A if lucky
    Physics: I'm not sure, between A-C Mark
    Geography: A or maybe if I'm luckier than Joey Essex A*
    Chemistry: C if I'm lucky. C1 was great. C2 and c3 I was so bad.
    I got an A in all my science coursework for triple science (which is 25% of each science)
    Those sound good

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.