Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me! On a related note, I listed a few related sentences I found.

Most of the sources are blogs. I added them just in case! Not sure about anyone else but, I like to look these things up in general just to look at various things I could say and how I'd go about saying them. Anyways, can't hurt to share them I thought.

I want to go to sleep, but I can't turn my brain off. What should I do?
    寝たいんだけど、脳をオフにすることができないのよね。どうすればい い? [Source].

My brain doesn't work anymore...
    もうこれ以上脳が働きません・・・ [Source].

I know I feel like my brain shuts down whenever I take a nap!
    私もうたた寝する際,脳がシステム終了するような気がす る。 [Source (HTML of a PDF file)].

I rest my brain. It wants to sleep.
    脳を休ませる。眠りたい [Source].
    *I changed the English a little bit. It was part of a nice poem.

You must give your brains a rest at times.
    たまには脳を休めないと毒だ. [Source].
    Not direct, but I liked the Japanese.

After having a long week at work, my brain cells needed to take a break.
    仕事でハードな1週間でした。とにかく脳細胞を休ませた い。[Source].

It helps me to switch off my brain.
    あれで脳のスイッチを切ることができるんです。 [Source].

That's when my brain goes off duty.
    それが私の脳が働かなくなった時でした。[Source].

Brain imaging such as CAT, PET and fMRI shows that even while asleep there aren't any areas of our brain that completely 'switch off'.
    CT(コンピュータ断層撮影)やPET(陽電子放出断層撮影法)やf MRI(機能的磁気共鳴映像法)のような脳イメージングは、眠ってい る時ですら、
    完全に「スイッチの切れる」領域は、脳のどこにもないことを示してい る。 [Source].

PC game-rotton brain.
    ゲームのやりすぎで腐った脳。 [Source].

My brain is still sleeping.
    私の脳みそだけがまだ眠ってるせいです。[Source].
    The person saying this casts blame on their brain instead of themselves regarding something as far as I can tell.

To turn someone's brain off.
    (人)の脳のスイッチを切る [Source].

We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on.
    あなたがテレビのスイッチをオンにするのはあなたが自分の脳のスイッ チをオフにしたいからだと思います。それに対してコンピュータで仕事 をするのは、
    脳のスイッチをオンにしたいときではないでしょうか。[Source].

I wish I could turn my brain off when I go to bed. So that I don't have to think.
    寝よう、と思った時に脳のスイッチをオフに出来ればいいのに。そした ら余計なことを考えないで眠れるのに。[Source].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    Thanks, you were right on the money with what I wanted to say, but I wasn't sure. +rep for that post man.

And thanks for your input too, Sinley.

ReputationRep:
    No worries!

Regarding using "を消す", I found A LOT to do with stress for some reason.
    E.g., (脳から/休日の/仕事の )ストレスを消す = Get rid of the stress of holidays/Let go of stress from the brain/Let go of job stress.

I won't list another bunch of terms though, ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    No worries!

Regarding using "を消す", I found A LOT to do with stress for some reason.
    E.g., (脳から/休日の/仕事の )ストレスを消す = Get rid of the stress of holidays/Let go of stress from the brain/Let go of job stress.

I won't list another bunch of terms though, ha ha.
    Oh that's really interesting. ありがとう

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry for not saying this earlier either: Thank you very much for the rep, Sapientia! xx

I was wondering, do any of you use Lang-8 at all? And if so, how do you learn from it?

This is what I do (although I may've mentioned this before, sorry!): I copy and paste the entry - with its corrections - and I write translations of what I wanted to say (and sometimes what I did say, after realising any nonsencial speech), then I translate the corrections to understand the changes. Of course, I may be flawed in my understanding but, I do find it really helps. And I also make a note of new vocabulary I've used in it, so I remember it (I do this for vocab. that I always re-forget a million times too). If that doesn't make sense, here's an example:

日本語を一年半間勉強してきた後でも、まだ私は2歳児の語彙力があり ます。
    > 日本語を一年半勉強してきたけど、まだ私は2歳児の語彙力しかありません
    Even after a year and a half of studying Japanese, I've still got the vocabulary of a two-year-old.
    Correction added: Although I've been studying Japanese for a year and a half, I've still only got the vocabulary of a two-year-old.

語彙力 (ごいりょく ) = (the extent of) one's vocabulary

I'm currently using this process with my latest Lang-8 entry, which is taking my ages 'cause the mistakes are neverending. That example is from my previous one. I thought it worth mentioning in case I hadn't spoken about it before, particularly if this method can help other people too.

But I want to know what other people do! So any insight would be lovely, x.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry for not saying this earlier either: Thank you very much for the rep, Sapientia! xx

I was wondering, do any of you use Lang-8 at all? And if so, how do you learn from it?

This is what I do (although I may've mentioned this before, sorry!): I copy and paste the entry - with its corrections - and I write translations of what I wanted to say (and sometimes what I did say, after realising any nonsencial speech), then I translate the corrections to understand the changes. Of course, I may be flawed in my understanding but, I do find it really helps. And I also make a note of new vocabulary I've used in it, so I remember it (I do this for vocab. that I always re-forget a million times too). If that doesn't make sense, here's an example:

日本語を一年半間勉強してきた後でも、まだ私は2歳児の語彙力があり ます。
    > 日本語を一年半勉強してきたけど、まだ私は2歳児の語彙力しかありません
    Even after a year and a half of studying Japanese, I've still got the vocabulary of a two-year-old.
    Correction added: Although I've been studying Japanese for a year and a half, I've still only got the vocabulary of a two-year-old.

語彙力 (ごいりょく ) = (the extent of) one's vocabulary

I'm currently using this process with my latest Lang-8 entry, which is taking my ages 'cause the mistakes are neverending. That example is from my previous one. I thought it worth mentioning in case I hadn't spoken about it before, particularly if this method can help other people too.

But I want to know what other people do! So any insight would be lovely, x.
    That's my pleasure.

I've never used Lang-8 myself. It's basically a website where you write something and natives come along to correct it, isn't it? I will definitely check it out. The only thing that really puts me off is that I don't feel very keen on saying things that are wrong. If I don't know how to say something, I try and find natural sentences that are close enough so that I can confidently express myself naturally, or I just find a different way to say it, or just leave it and know that one day I will be able to say it.

How quickly do you find that you get a response or a correction to what you post?

Do you use an SRS? What else do you use in your Japanese studies? I've just found mangahelper.com which has raw manga, if you're interested. Seems quite good as it's obviously bursting with natural dialogue to copy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    I've never used Lang-8 myself. It's basically a website where you write something and natives come along to correct it, isn't it?

How quickly do you find that you get a response or a correction to what you post?

Do you use an SRS? What else do you use in your Japanese studies?
    It is! I find that I get responses very quickly, actually. Within the day/couple of hours. I find that people also correct you if you correct them sometimes (if you're learning their native language). I used to do tons of corrections per day I spent on there but I got lazy after a while, unfortunately. By doing this however, if people really like your corrections, they ask to add you and if they speak the language you're learning, of course that's a plus for you 'cause they'll be more likely to correct you whenever you make a new entry.

Bad things about Lang-8:

> It's not really suitable for beginners.
    This is because often they will not speak to you in English, all corrections will be Japanese and any comments or explanations will also be in Japanese most probably. If you can't understand what they're saying, it's a bit annoying. Having said that, I was a beginner when I joined and I'm still a beginner and I think I do just fine. I also set up a Japanese blog and spoke to people on that site within two months of study, bloody difficult but I think you get used to it quickly. Same goes for Lang-8.

> It's not 100% reliable - of course.
    I have seen some English speakers give really poor corrections before. Hell, I saw someone who's English was so appauling that I truly doubted whether they were truly native to English, as they claimed. Either way, they should've been banned from giving corrections =P. So, no doubt there are some Japanese people on there correcting poorly sometimes also, so.. you have to watch out for that. I also think that giving corrections is so difficult anyways, sometimes you don't even know what people are trying to say and you get caught up in trying to modify their speech when, really, you should be giving completely alternative sentences to what they're saying that still hold the same feeling. So, even for those who are very well-spoken, it can be challenging to write good corrections. I like to think that most corrections are decent though.

I'm the opposite, I want to express things in the same way I express them in English (ha ha). I have been trying to break things down like that too though, use smaller more simpler sentences, etc, in order to get across what I want to say as much as I can with what I know. Most of the time, I think of what I want to say in English and then I write it down in whatever way I can then look up how to say it, or how to say something similar to it. Comparing it to what I said, seeing if my grammar is flawed, finding out common ways of saying what I want to say, etc. I do this by looking up various things people say, e.g. as in that post I did full of quotes - that's actually what I do daily. I'm absolutely poor at explainings things though, so I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense.

I absolutely hate making mistakes 'cause I have a huge sense of pride. Unfortunately, I do not possess pride positively, I feel pride in a negative sense. It means that I get embarrassed easily, have a fear of failure and mistakes kill my soul, etc. But you know, you just have to suck it up and if you say something that's wrong, you'll be told and you'll hopefully remember it for next time. I find that learning a language is possibly the most humiliating thing I've ever done, I sometimes take ages to respond to someone who's corrected me (native or learner) because I feel so ashamed of myself and it takes me a while to gather the courage to face up to it. I truly did avoid interacting with anyone who was learning Japanese or was Japanese at one point because I just did not want my errors to be noticed. However, I'm over it.. I'll never get exceptionally better that way. =)

Ha ha, so although it's hopefully not so much of an issue for you evenso, get stuck in, do your best and if you're wrong, no worries, eh?

I read Yotsuba&! regarding manga. I'm not really a comic-person for some reason, but I do find it to be really easy to read and really good. There is furigana and Yotsuba (a little girl) always speaks in kana. It's pretty sweet, although I think it's popular so maybe you already know about it?

I also have all three Japanese games on the DS called Kodomo no Tame no Yomikikase: Ehon de Asobou. Per game, you have three stories. The text is all in kana and you can listen to a woman reading it or not (accompanied by some images). It also helps teach English, so if you click to read the stories in English, you can hear an American woman reading the story accompanied by Japanese text, if you like. I quite like that also.

As far as what I use in my Japanese studies... Sadly enough, I would now say I do not study Japanese. Ha ha, I can't recall the last time I picked up any of my Japanese learning books. All I currently do is browse online dictionaries and random websites (incl. Japanese blogs, Japanese grammar sites, etc). Hm, so I am pretty useless regarding helping anyone with their studies. =( I don't use an SRS, no. Flashcards never much suited me, I'm afraid.

Sorry for the really long response!

ReputationRep:
    ジャズミン、PMを送信します。

(Original post by Azimuth)
    新しい仕事はどうでした?

ReputationRep:
    みんなさん、こんばんは!

夏に成ってから、たくさんこのサイトでいる学生は日本語の試験が直ぐ 有ると思いますか。
    誰か試験がありますか。(がんばってください!)

来月私の初めて大切試験があります。 先月は日本語の試験があった、 私は 69.7%点をとった。幸せでて大変よかった。でも、ファース トマークは70%です。私はとても近くでした…0.3%!(もっと勉 強する方がいいでしょうね!)

(ここで私の日本語が恐ろしても、試験ついて冗談しないでください! )

ReputationRep:
    はじめまして、はつゆきと申します。(当たり前のようですが、ハンド ルネームですorz)
    TSRに関しては随分前からROMしているが(= reading posts and never reply, just like CD-Rom →Read-only)、メンバーとしてはまだ新手です。
    同じくTSRの経済学の方のサブフォーラムを見ている方は私を見た覚 えがある知れません(苦笑

ぼんやりとしている間にここを見つけた、「ここ、面白そうかな?」と 思ってて、「書き込んでみようかな」と…ちょっと迷ったが、やっぱり 好奇心でしてみちゃったw
    日本語的には上手に話せるとはいえないですが、今後皆さんと一緒にが んばってみたいところです。
    よろしければ、よろしくお願いします。

> screenager2004さん
    試験ならこっちもありますよ。A Levelのだけど、一気にASと A2を受けるつもりです。復習用の素材(マテリアル)があまりなくて 困っているところです。
    新しい試験仕様を基にした09年テストがまだ、全部Se cure Downloadであって(関係者しかダウンロードできない仕様のよ うです)。
    それに、十二月にJLPT N1を受けるつもりです。

あぁ、そういえば…いきなりですが、大学で日本語を学んだ人に質問が ひとつあります。
    大学(特にSOAS、Manchester?)の日本語または経済+ 日本語コースは日本語をある程度まで学んだ学生のために設立した特殊 パスウェイ、コースとかありますか?各大学のModul e detailsからみれば、大体のコースのYear1がまったく経験 のない初心者のために設立しているだそうです。SOAS (BA Japanese(T210))だけが一年短縮できるそうだけど、私 は純日本語コースに興味があまりないので…(興味があるのはLT12 (経済学+日本語 )です)
    LT12、または別の大学のコースがそうできるかどうかが知りたいで す。情報いただければ幸いです、ありがとうございます。

長文ですみませんでした。

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    みんなさん、こんばんは!

夏に成ってから、たくさんこのサイトでいる学生は日本語の試験が直ぐ 有ると思いますか。
    誰か試験がありますか。(がんばってください!)

来月私の初めて大切試験があります。 先月は日本語の試験があった、 私は 69.7%点をとった。幸せでて大変よかった。でも、ファース トマークは70%です。私はとても近くでした…0.3%!(もっ と勉強する方がいいでしょうね!)

(ここで私の日本語が恐ろしても、試験ついて冗談しないでください! )
    僕にとっちゃ、試験がないんですが、皆に「頑張って下さいね〜」って 言いたい!もうすぐ夏だから。試験が終わったら、晴れた空を緊張せず に楽しめるようになるはずでしょう。:)

(Original post by asabashoyuki)
    。。。
    おはようございま〜す、日本語のスレへようこそ 

今どうやって日本語を学んでいるのですか?超ー上手くなったみたい! 大学の日本語が勉強したことはないので、手伝ってあげられないでごめ んなさい。他人の意見を読むのが楽しみです。

ReputationRep:
    おはようございま〜す、日本語のスレへようこそ 

今どうやって日本語を学んでいるのですか?超ー上手くなったみたい! 大学の日本語が勉強したことはないので、手伝ってあげられないでごめ んなさい。他人の意見を読むのが楽しみです。
    おはようございますw   

十二歳のころから、日本語に興味を持ってて、(マカオの)日本語学校 の日本語クラスを受けてみた。最初は週二回で一回90分かな?そうし て日本語を三年学んだ。あのときの私は約三級程度。
    そしてイギリスに留学した、周りにそういう学校がないので自学しなけ ればならない状況になった。アニメを見てて、歌を聴いてて、文法書と かを見てて…それだけ。なんとなく去年に二級を受けました、33 6点でした。因みにあれは初めて受けたJLPT試験でした 。
    いまもLower Sixthの課程を受けながら、日本語を勉強してい・・・・実はあま り勉強してない気がするorz

とりあえず、以上ですw

ReputationRep:
    おはようございますw   

十二歳のころから、日本語に興味を持ってて、(マカオの)日本語学校 の日本語クラスを受けてみた。最初は週二回で一回90分かな?そうし て日本語を三年学んだ。あのときの私は約三級程度。
    そしてイギリスに留学した、周りにそういう学校がないので自学しなけ ればならない状況になった。アニメを見てて、歌を聴いてて、文法書と かを見てて…それだけ。なんとなく去年に二級を受けました、33 6点でした。因みにあれは初めて受けたJLPT試験でした 。
    いまもLower Sixthの課程を受けながら、日本語を勉強してい・・・・実はあま り勉強してない気がするorz

とりあえず、以上ですw
    あ〜そうなんですか。去年、僕も二級JLPT受けてパスしたよ。あな た見たかも?

ReputationRep:
    あ〜そうなんですか。去年、僕も二級JLPT受けてパスしたよ。あな た見たかも?
    (がっかり

そうならば、見たことあるかもね。
    私はあの何回も「上に上ったり、下に何かを探したり」としたバカな子 です。印象、あるかな?

余談ですが、去年の会場にいた人はだいぶ大学生でした気がする。それ に、私自身が一番若かった気も…

ReputationRep:
    (がっかり

そうならば、見たことあるかもね。
    私はあの何回も「上に上ったり、下に何かを探したり」としたバカな子 です。印象、あるかな?

余談ですが、去年の会場にいた人はだいぶ大学生でした気がする。それ に、私自身が一番若かった気も…
    そのような思い出が全くないんですよ。ごめん!

同感。僕は一人でいた(大学生じゃない)。誰にも話さな かった。

金髪の男の人が試験の説明を読んでいる会場にいたのか?試験場が二つ あったっけ。

ReputationRep:
    「同感。僕は一人でいた(大学生じゃない)。誰にも話さなかった。」 こっちも同じでした(笑

あぁ、んじゃ私たちはそれぞれ別の試験場に編入されたそうですね、私 のほうは中年の日本人女先生(みたいな人)が説明してく ださった。

ReputationRep:
    > screenager2004さん
    試験ならこっちもありますよ。A Levelのだけど、一気にASと A2を受けるつもりです。復習用の素材(マテリアル)があまりなくて 困っているところです。
    新しい試験仕様を基にした09年テストがまだ、全部Se cure Downloadであって(関係者しかダウンロードできない仕様のよ うです)。
    それに、十二月にJLPT N1を受けるつもりです。

あぁ、そういえば…いきなりですが、大学で日本語を学んだ人に質 問がひとつあります。
    大学(特にSOAS、Manchester?)の日本語または経済+ 日本語コースは日本語をある程度まで学んだ学生のために設立した特殊 パスウェイ、コースとかありますか?各大学のModul e detailsからみれば、大体のコースのYear1がまったく経験 のない初心者のために設立しているだそうです。SOAS (BA Japanese(T210))だけが一年短縮できるそうだけど、私 は純日本語コースに興味があまりないので…(興味があるのはLT 12(経済学+日本語 )です)
    LT12、または別の大学のコースがそうできるかどうかが知りたいで す。情報いただければ幸いです、ありがとうございます。

長文ですみませんでした。
    え、がんばって!あなたは日本語が得意で上手そうですね、全文試験で 大丈夫だろうと思います。私はいつもJLPTを受けたいと言っている んですが、まだ時間を見つけられない。卒業する前に受けるつもりです 。
    私は、社会学を勉強している大学生ですが、週に一回日本語を習って、 成績で25%を占めている。しかし、来年は部活動(Extracur ricular?)しかですね。

多目に大学で外国語を習えるの所があります。Angli a RuskinとLSEとUCLで友達は中国語や日本語やポルトガル語 を習っています。満の学位でわないので、科目はちょっと難しくなくて 遅いでしょうでも。

-_- 私は日曜日で日本語を書けません!誤記ですみません。

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    え、がんばって!あなたは日本語が得意で上手そうですね、全文試験で 大丈夫だろうと思います。私はいつもJLPTを受けたいと言っている んですが、まだ時間を見つけられない。卒業する前に受けるつもりです 。
    私は、社会学を勉強している大学生ですが、週に一回日本語を習って、 成績で25%を占めている。しかし、来年は部活動(Extracur ricular?)しかですね。

多目に大学で外国語を習えるの所があります。Angli a RuskinとLSEとUCLで友達は中国語や日本語やポルトガル語 を習っています。満の学位でわないので、科目はちょっと難しくなくて 遅いでしょうでも。

-_- 私は日曜日で日本語を書けません!誤記ですみません。
    別に上手じゃないです、本当に。でも、ありがとう。
    うむ…過去問題を見た限り、あの試験は簡単とはいえないですね €¦翻訳とA2パート3の作文がちょっと苦手ので(苦笑

25%…日本語をマイナーにして、学んでいる方ですか?

(誤字訂正)

ReputationRep:
    新しい仕事はどうでした?
    遅くなってごめん。新しいアパートに引っ越したんでインターネット接 続がなかった :P

最初は一言で言えば難しい。 ._.

けど、それから慣れてきて今は超大好き!日本語を勉強出来る時間がな くなってしまったのにな・・・

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azimuth)
    遅くなってごめん。新しいアパートに引っ越したんでインターネット接 続がなかった :P

最初は一言で言えば難しい。 ._.

けど、それから慣れてきて今は超大好き!日本語を勉強出来る時間がな くなってしまったのにな・・・
    いいですよ。

難しい?どゆ仕事してるの?どうやって職場へ行くの?バスなら、本を 読んだりすることをすすめる。車なら、オーディオブックなどをね。や っぱり仕事をしてて日本語を勉強するのは大変なものです ね。

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.