Chess games

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    XOR_ nm about the rematch.
    Gonna call it a day now lol.
    Okay, ggs, I'll be on tomorrow .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    That's true, by avoiding e5 I'm dodging Ruy Lopez, King's Gambit, Scotch, Danish, Italian and all that malarky. Maybe I'll just stick with c5 now that I think about it XD.

It is a bit embarrassing though that the most common opening we play against is the Bowdler, shows how good some of our opponents are lol.
    I'll probably end up playing it at some point, but I might prep myself by watching some opening videos first. Otherwise I'll probably just blunder everything lol.

Yeah it's much more common in blitz for me. The faster the time control, the more permissible crap openings are. I played a guy in bullet, we drew 8-8, and it was so annoying because I knew his openings were a pile of crap, he'd play Scandinavian (okay, this is playable - but it's not the most ambitious try surely) and Grand Prix attack stuff, but there was little time for me, less versed in these systems, to work out how to best beat them, and he just kept getting great positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I'll probably end up playing it at some point, but I might prep myself by watching some opening videos first. Otherwise I'll probably just blunder everything lol.

Yeah it's much more common in blitz for me. The faster the time control, the more permissible crap openings are. I played a guy in bullet, we drew 8-8, and it was so annoying because I knew his openings were a pile of crap, he'd play Scandinavian (okay, this is playable - but it's not the most ambitious try surely) and Grand Prix attack stuff, but there was little time for me, less versed in these systems, to work out how to best beat them, and he just kept getting great positions.
    After playing a couple of games just then I've realised that my strategic understanding is still very poor. Even when my opponents play terrible moves I can't improve my position properly; ok if they make a move which gives me an obviously strong move/tactical sequence I'll play it, but otherwise I can't seem to do anything. I guess I'll have to wait until I can start playing OTB until I improve; I don't see myself improving online since I always feel so lost against any reasonable play from my opponent.

Something that would be useful (probably for both of us) is to find a way to make the games more complicated. I think that would help you in particular given your tactical ability, because if the position is lifeless/simple, any patzer could play solid moves against you for the whole game. I've noticed I keep unintentionally getting dead positions despite a stronger position in the opening and then the game fizzles out into an endgame that could go either way.

ReputationRep:
    After playing a couple of games just then I've realised that my strategic understanding is still very poor. Even when my opponents play terrible moves I can't improve my position properly; ok if they make a move which gives me an obviously strong move/tactical sequence I'll play it, but otherwise I can't seem to do anything. I guess I'll have to wait until I can start playing OTB until I improve; I don't see myself improving online since I always feel so lost against any reasonable play from my opponent.

Something that would be useful (probably for both of us) is to find a way to make the games more complicated. I think that would help you in particular given your tactical ability, because if the position is lifeless/simple, any patzer could play solid moves against you for the whole game. I've noticed I keep unintentionally getting dead positions despite a stronger position in the opening and then the game fizzles out into an endgame that could go either way.
    I know what you mean. So often I'm developing my pieces to decent squares, I think, gaining central control, doing all the principled things, but nothing really comes of it. I've certainly found that complications can aid things, but I also need to have a good position. I find myself, as I'm not treating every move like tactics trainer, to sometimes make woeful oversights in that regard, even if my absolute ability to figure out the tactics of a position is quite good. I mean I'm playing a game right now where my opponent has been tactically walking all over me, I even hanged a piece (well, I had to stop mate on the kingside, so I can forgive myself for not even looking at that piece, over on the queenside, which couldn't aid anything - and my opponent had already sacrificed one).
    Well, paused to actually concentrate on that game. It fizzled out to an ending. I had a knight, he had a bishop. He had four pawns, I had three, but he had doubled pawns. I'm quite happy with the play here...I dunno how accurate I was (I probably could have used opportunities to push pawns earlier rather than dilly dallying) but it's a nice illustration of the knight's limitations. Made up for the middlegame (which I was probably losing by force, as usual I moved too fast, I'll check with the engine) https://www.chess.com/live/game/1711767114

edit: lol in hindsight I was worried about far too much on the kingside. I was up over -2, then hanging my knight indeed puts white easily winning (+3). I really should have thought more. Got too scared by the way the position looked and ignored the actual mechanics and particulars of the position.
    double edit: lmao computer announces mate in 10 on move 24 for white. But he didn't find it, and I cannot be blamed for my opponent's failings.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. So often I'm developing my pieces to decent squares, I think, gaining central control, doing all the principled things, but nothing really comes of it. I've certainly found that complications can aid things, but I also need to have a good position. I find myself, as I'm not treating every move like tactics trainer, to sometimes make woeful oversights in that regard, even if my absolute ability to figure out the tactics of a position is quite good. I mean I'm playing a game right now where my opponent has been tactically walking all over me, I even hanged a piece (well, I had to stop mate on the kingside, so I can forgive myself for not even looking at that piece, over on the queenside, which couldn't aid anything - and my opponent had already sacrificed one).
    Well, paused to actually concentrate on that game. It fizzled out to an ending. I had a knight, he had a bishop. He had four pawns, I had three, but he had doubled pawns. I'm quite happy with the play here...I dunno how accurate I was (I probably could have used opportunities to push pawns earlier rather than dilly dallying) but it's a nice illustration of the knight's limitations. Made up for the middlegame (which I was probably losing by force, as usual I moved too fast, I'll check with the engine) https://www.chess.com/live/game/1711767114

edit: lol in hindsight I was worried about far too much on the kingside. I was up over -2, then hanging my knight indeed puts white easily winning (+3). I really should have thought more. Got too scared by the way the position looked and ignored the actual mechanics and particulars of the position.
    double edit: lmao computer announces mate in 10 on move 24 for white. But he didn't find it, and I cannot be blamed for my opponent's failings.
    Woah those are some fancy looking tactical shots at the end from your opponent, but nice work holding your ground and winning the endgame (I didn't analyse though so don't know how accurate the moves were, just going by how it looked).

At the start though, white undoubtedly had a very nice position, I'm talking about move 9. The best play for black would've been to meet the intial Nc3 with d5 and then black is just straight up better; it's a QGD type position except white can't move his c pawn and black can. Also e4 should almost always be stopped whenever white plays any sub par moves; otherwise it allows white to gain an advantage instead of black.

ReputationRep:
    Woah those are some fancy looking tactical shots at the end from your opponent, but nice work holding your ground and winning the endgame (I didn't analyse though so don't know how accurate the moves were, just going by how it looked).

At the start though, white undoubtedly had a very nice position, I'm talking about move 9. The best play for black would've been to meet the intial Nc3 with d5 and then black is just straight up better; it's a QGD type position except white can't move his c pawn and black can. Also e4 should almost always be stopped whenever white plays any sub par moves; otherwise it allows white to gain an advantage instead of black.
    Yeah I dunno why I'm setting up basically a King's Indian in this structure. Still not thinking properly. I got some bias, I'd recently watched vids on the King's Indian for black, and I thought I'd play that, but obviously when he plays Nc3 it's a whole different kind of position. But I still wanted to keep my dream alive so I just played the moves of that opening. And then he castles queenside anyway.
    I faced 1. d3 later yesterday. I'd like to say I destroyed it, but my main plan was scuppered. A dubious attacking exchange sacrifice by my opponent ultimately brought him down (I actually overestimated it, playing very inaccurately in general, and allowed a perpetual, but he was having none of it and instead decided to blunder into a losing endgame)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dunno why I'm setting up basically a King's Indian in this structure. Still not thinking properly. I got some bias, I'd recently watched vids on the King's Indian for black, and I thought I'd play that, but obviously when he plays Nc3 it's a whole different kind of position. But I still wanted to keep my dream alive so I just played the moves of that opening. And then he castles queenside anyway.
    I faced 1. d3 later yesterday. I'd like to say I destroyed it, but my main plan was scuppered. A dubious attacking exchange sacrifice by my opponent ultimately brought him down (I actually overestimated it, playing very inaccurately in general, and allowed a perpetual, but he was having none of it and instead decided to blunder into a losing endgame)
    I get it yeah, you're thinking "I want to practise KID" but then they come up with this Nc3 rubbish and then you can't play it (if you still want an opening advantage).

1.d3 lol. The main problem with those moves is that, although terribly unambitious, they can easily transpose and you have to be very patient with them, not expect to win since that'll make you 'go for it' too early only to have your position fizzle down to a draw (or worse).
    But generally if your opponent plays that move you can trust that he won't play too many good moves .

I just played my first black QGD (weird I know) and I've gotta say I love the opening: https://www.chess.com/live/game/1712300855

My position didn't die this time, and I think I played strategically fairly strongly for once (although the computer might disagree). Position got very dynamic and interesting, and ok my opponent lost at the end by hanging his bishop, but I did have a lot of pressure on him for the whole game which must've contributed.
    Funny though, I felt very time pressured towards the end with only 7 minutes remaining, I'm a really slow thinker haha.

ReputationRep:
    Just lost to an 800 in blitz. Rating points shot up over 300 after beating me so obviously underrated, but ffs. They played aggressive if ultimately pointless moves and I was just down on time and had no time to think. Their play was ****ing **** but they still won. Hate blitz sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I get it yeah, you're thinking "I want to practise KID" but then they come up with this Nc3 rubbish and then you can't play it (if you still want an opening advantage).

1.d3 lol. The main problem with those moves is that, although terribly unambitious, they can easily transpose and you have to be very patient with them, not expect to win since that'll make you 'go for it' too early only to have your position fizzle down to a draw (or worse).
    But generally if your opponent plays that move you can trust that he won't play too many good moves .

I just played my first black QGD (weird I know) and I've gotta say I love the opening: https://www.chess.com/live/game/1712300855

My position didn't die this time, and I think I played strategically fairly strongly for once (although the computer might disagree). Position got very dynamic and interesting, and ok my opponent lost at the end by hanging his bishop, but I did have a lot of pressure on him for the whole game which must've contributed.
    Funny though, I felt very time pressured towards the end with only 7 minutes remaining, I'm a really slow thinker haha.
    Well the thing you have to remember when white plays 1. d3 or 1. e3 is that 1. ...e6 and 1. ...d6 (especially 1.e6 of course - trying to play a bit more French lately as an alternative to the Sicilian, it's an interesting opening) are completely playable opening moves for black against e4 and d4 respectively, so can it really be that terrible for white to do similar with an extra tempo? I mean, there are more aggressive choices, but it's not like 1.d3 is a mistake I guess.

Nice game. Seems like good principled play, getting that c5 break in, making sure you're the one who controls the files when the lines rip open, and just generally targetting weaknesses. White seemed rather "slow". I don't think I've played the QGD as black lol. I've played the Grunfeld, the Slav, and, of course, the King's Indian. Closest I've come is probably semi-slav. I like the Grunfeld as it combines some more classical central play with d5 and the nice Indian style kingside set up. It's all relative, I mean top masters can play bullet and play good moves, but because they're engaged in a different way in classical, presumably, they seem more liable to make silly mistakes in time pressure, even if the time they have is more than they'd have in a bullet or short blitz game.

Just had a very funny blitz game. I missed that their knight was hanging in true patzer fashion, then decided to play a piece sacrifice for maximum banter. The resulting game was interesting, if as unsound as it could possibly get. (checking with the computer and so far, past like the first couple of moves, up to 10 or so everything is a blunder, mistake or inaccuracy xD) At least until I got a clear advantage and started proper king-hunting, I might have missed a mate somewhere along the line but it was nice in general. https://www.chess.com/live/game/1712357009

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing you have to remember when white plays 1. d3 or 1. e3 is that 1. ...e6 and 1. ...d6 (especially 1.e6 of course - trying to play a bit more French lately as an alternative to the Sicilian, it's an interesting opening) are completely playable opening moves for black against e4 and d4 respectively, so can it really be that terrible for white to do similar with an extra tempo? I mean, there are more aggressive choices, but it's not like 1.d3 is a mistake I guess.

Nice game. Seems like good principled play, getting that c5 break in, making sure you're the one who controls the files when the lines rip open, and just generally targetting weaknesses. White seemed rather "slow". I don't think I've played the QGD as black lol. I've played the Grunfeld, the Slav, and, of course, the King's Indian. Closest I've come is probably semi-slav. I like the Grunfeld as it combines some more classical central play with d5 and the nice Indian style kingside set up. It's all relative, I mean top masters can play bullet and play good moves, but because they're engaged in a different way in classical, presumably, they seem more liable to make silly mistakes in time pressure, even if the time they have is more than they'd have in a bullet or short blitz game.

Just had a very funny blitz game. I missed that their knight was hanging in true patzer fashion, then decided to play a piece sacrifice for maximum banter. The resulting game was interesting, if as unsound as it could possibly get. (checking with the computer and so far, past like the first couple of moves, up to 10 or so everything is a blunder, mistake or inaccuracy xD) At least until I got a clear advantage and started proper king-hunting, I might have missed a mate somewhere along the line but it was nice in general. https://www.chess.com/live/game/1712357009
    Thanks, I was quite happy with this game .

I recommend you try QGD, it's quite easy to play and teaches you a lot about principled, strategic play. I also used to play everything but QGD, so KID, Grunfeld, Nimzo - I tried everything. But then I realise it's probably better to get good at the fundamentals before branching out to more complicated hypermodern openings which require greater positional understanding.

Lol, there are a lot funny points about your game, most notably the mass of clicking sounds when playing through your game XD (you checked like every other move lol). Also the fact that your king was never checked and was so safe for the entire game haha. But yeah even though Bxf2 is obviously pretty unsound it was definitely a nice tactical display from your part.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was quite happy with this game .

I recommend you try QGD, it's quite easy to play and teaches you a lot about principled, strategic play. I also used to play everything but QGD, so KID, Grunfeld, Nimzo - I tried everything. But then I realise it's probably better to get good at the fundamentals before branching out to more complicated hypermodern openings which require greater positional understanding.

Lol, there are a lot funny points about your game, most notably the mass of clicking sounds when playing through your game XD (you checked like every other move lol). Also the fact that your king was never checked and was so safe for the entire game haha. But yeah even though Bxf2 is obviously pretty unsound it was definitely a nice tactical display from your part.
    To be honest I dunno much about the QGD (even though I've played it as white). c5 for black is a typical thematic break yes? It seems in general most play is on the queenside.

Yeah I made sure not to go for any super aggressive developing moves or extra queen moves and just act like nothing had happened and castle. I missed a mate in 4 by taking the queen, and I allowed the king refuge (obviously the game itself is lost, but the mating attack is massively delayed) on b1, but other than that it was decent lol.

Just had my internet cut out for literally like a few seconds more than I needed to auto-resign (only played like two moves) gg internet.

ReputationRep:
    Just played a blindfold game against the (weak, level 3 of 10) computer. You see the empty board, and it highlights the squares on the last move (the square moved from, and the square moved to), and obviously you see the moves written down. Plus the computer evaluation is there so you know when to look for tactics. xD Despite all these factors, pretty cool stuff..

https://www.chess.com/analysis-board...ram_id=3123792

ReputationRep:
    EnglishMuon are you still there??

ReputationRep:
    O.P.E.N.G.A.M.E: https://lichess.org/NZewcwvw

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 2.46.30 PM.png
Views: 23
Size:  27.2 KB

+ a lichess error page which doesn't want to be uploaded for some reason...

XOR_

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharaohFromSpace)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 2.46.30 PM.png
Views: 23
Size:  27.2 KB

+ a lichess error page which doesn't want to be uploaded for some reason...

XOR_
    If in doubt, refresh a million times

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt, refresh a million times
    Guess what, I won
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I lost the second match:shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    https://www.chess.com/live/game/1713753417 After a reasonable run of wins in Rapid, this guy rekt me. It's an example of thinking both too much and too little - I thought I had to do something clever, cue the exchange sacrifice, but I misplayed it ridiculously, and, indeed, I do not believe there was any correct way to play it. My actions and what was going on my head did not align. The line I was thinking over involved taking the knight on f4 first, then planting the rook there (this was actually an even bigger blunder because it hangs a piece lol), so that if knight takes then knight takes and the monster knight can never be taken without giving the exchange back and planting a jucy protected passed pawn there. But I was also thinking about using the rook as an attacker of c5 together with the bishop. So everything just mixed and matched and in the end I played a ridiculous move. Must remind myself to always be as concrete as possible: good to imagine the ideal position, but if it's not available, it's not available. Of course, the instantly losing tactical blunder afterwards is even more ridiculous, and that was also due to mixing things up (and ignoring the rook that delivered the killer blow for some reason - I seemed to forget it existed).

edit: but even if I had been able to manufacture such a position, black's kingside play is too fast and deadly. Made a load of nothing moves for black to give white time to prep it, but even then black just comes into the kingside and destroys everything.

ReputationRep:
    Where's everyone at? Having a ridiculous blitz session. Gone down like 100 points from yesterday with about seven losses in a row. Just missing basic tactics. Feels.

ReputationRep:
    Where's everyone at? Having a ridiculous blitz session. Gone down like 100 points from yesterday with about seven losses in a row. Just missing basic tactics. Feels.
    Dw at least you're not having as many tactical problems as me. I spent a couple of weeks hovering around 1800 on TT and recently things have been going wrong and I kept getting the puzzles wrong, so I decided to just reduce my rating to 1600 and try to work my way up again. But then I struggled even more with 1500 rated problems (don't ask how) so I got really pissed and reduced my tactics rating all the way to 1100. Now working my way back up, spending time on each tactic and making sure my basics are in place before I get back to 1800. I really am not a good tactician lol. I don't know if it's lack of familiarity with the chess pieces, but I cannot help missing that a piece is hanging etc. in these puzzles.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.