The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepearl7)
    I did one week with British Red Cross and also another week with a hospital. I am going to start volunteering in a care home soon as well.
    I thought you aren't allowed to do work experience in a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Has anyone done any work experience?
    In year 10 we all had a week where we had to do some sort of work experience. I did a week in an accountant's office which was great fun (and really short hours because all the people in there had small children to either drop off or pick up and I couldn't be there alone lol).
    I also volunteer for a few hours a week working with children (aged between 0 and 11-->Much prefer working with the tiny babies who don't answer back or run off lol), and in the autumn term I do work with children in an amateur dramatics group before their show (used to be involved in the show, but it's the week before mocks so I can't this year).
    I would probably count all of this as work experience, even if it isn't the average job lol as it gives you many skills which you would gain from a job equally, but with more enjoyment from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    I thought you aren't allowed to do work experience in a hospital.
    You can do a clinical placement at a hospital when you are 16 or a non-clinical one if your under 16

ReputationRep:
    I know I say this pretty much every time I come here, but...

TAKE ME BACK TO THE GOOD DAYS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I know I say this pretty much every time I come here, but...

TAKE ME BACK TO THE GOOD DAYS!!!
    I just want to go back to primary school golden time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I just want to go back to primary school golden time.
    lool, life is just streeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss in Year 11 and I agree with you, I defo would return back to Primary School if I could.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Fi and I'm taking 11 GCSEs
    Maths (AQA)
    English Lit & Language (AQA)
    Spanish (Edexcel)
    Sociology (AQA)
    Media (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Geography A (AQA)
    RE (Edexcel)
    I'm not very confident in any😂
    and I can never seem to get an A* in triple science! but I really want to!
    Maths is probably my weakest subject (6A in mocks)

ReputationRep:
    There's this event at the hospital for National Pathology Week which I want to go to. The only thing is that it is during the school day so I would miss a day of school. Do you think its worth it to miss a day in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    There's this event at the hospital for National Pathology Week which I want to go to. The only thing is that it is during the school day so I would miss a day of school. Do you think its worth it to miss a day in year 11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I've missed quite a few already and going to miss more (various activities supported by school). Just make sure you know what you missed and catch up on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Introduce Yourself
    Hi, I'm umar39 and I'm going into Year 11 this September. I set really high aims for myself and really enjoy a challenge

I enjoy reading, sports, chess, debating, politics, board games, motor vehicles, technology, coding/designing although it's pretty hard trying to complete all these hobbies/interests regularly.

I take the following GCSE subjects
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Maths (AQA H)
    • Maths
    • Further Maths (OCR)
    • English (WJEC EDUQAS)
    • Biology (AQA)
    • Physics (AQA)
    • Chemistry (AQA)
    • Religious Studies (AQA)
    • Design and Technology (AQA)
    • Business and Economics (Edexcel)
    • Geography (AQA)
    • German (AQA)
    • ICT (Cambridge iGCSE- achieved A grade)
    I think I'm ready for all subjects apart from English, Maths and German. Although I don't struggle with English and Maths the new specifications/grading system is proving hard to get used to.

My favourite subjects are:
    • Biology
    • Business and Economics
    • Geography
    • Physics
    • Chemistry
    • Maths
    I am considering the following subjects to take for A-Level:
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Maths (possibly)
    • Business and Economics (possibly)
    I would, idealistically, like a career in Medicine so I've realised how important my GCSE's are. I aim to achieve the best grades that I am capable of so that I can pursue this dream.Yet, I'm still quite young so I am still very open to any other careers that involve STEM as these are the subjects/areas that I enjoy the most.

I would like to attend a prestigious Russell Group University (ideally Imperial College London :awesome:).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If anyone wants any help or to chat about the following subjects please feel free to PM me.(2 brains are better than 1 ):call2::call:

Biology
    Chemistry:bigsmile:
    Physics
    Design and Technology
    Business and Economics:excited:
    wait but for a level r u gonna do all 3 sciences.. that isnt a good idea, i am in yr 11 and i am gonna do phy and bio but never do all 3 that is a work load as at a level things gert a lot harder and most teachers recommed to just do 2 as u will never be asked for 3 in any uni course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dee Mented)
    wait but for a level r u gonna do all 3 sciences.. that isnt a good idea, i am in yr 11 and i am gonna do phy and bio but never do all 3 that is a work load as at a level things gert a lot harder and most teachers recommed to just do 2 as u will never be asked for 3 in any uni course
    There's nothing wrong with taking 3 sciences if you like the subjects and are willing to work hard. And top uni courses such as medicine at a top uni does require 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BobBobson;68121866]There's nothing wrong with taking 3 sciences if you like the subjects and are willing to work hard. And top uni courses such as medicine at a top uni does require 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I think you only have to do 3 A - levels as all exams will be linear, so taking 3 science will be fine but will be harder as the science's are known to be the hardest subject's.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Simon

Im an avid designer and love messing around with computers. Also an aspiring medic in the emergency care field.

I am going to be taking 13 GCSE exams this year:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mathematics, Further Mathematics - Edexcel GCSE
    Biology, Chemistry and Physics - Edexcel Certificate iGCSE (Double award)
    History, Religious Studies B, English Lang & Lit, Spanish - AQA
    Italian, Graphics - WJEC CBAC
    Computing - OCR

I can tell the new GCSE exams are going to be tough, but if I keep looking through the SAM's (Sample Assessment Materials) from Edexcel, about mathematics, i'm sure I can crack down on what difficulties will be faced. As for English, i'm slightly worried about the amount I have to memorise for the exam (all the poems + Lord of the Flies + Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde + Romeo and Juliet). Having peace of mind that I can take a re-sit if the stress overtakes me due to the length of the exam (2h 15) is going to help me a lot though.

Computing, Graphics and Biology are my favourites - probably due to the variety. I love problem solving and seeing things work out. As I previously said, a paramedic would be my dream career, but stress is the only negative I mainly see. I have always wanted to try and help people and after looking at statistics from the SWAST, people are being put at unnecessary danger because of the lack of paramedics.

Well.. thats me. Its been really interesting reading the variety in everyone else's qualifications and dream jobs, but I hope I didn't bore you!

ReputationRep:
    We just had our Year 11 into 12 open evening and it made me get even more choices on what to take for A-levels. I know I can get the grade for all of the ones I want, it's just my school's max is four options and I've got six in mind still and I wanna do them all. Eckkkk

ReputationRep:
    hey guyss great thread btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryJan)
    We just had our Year 11 into 12 open evening and it made me get even more choices on what to take for A-levels. I know I can get the grade for all of the ones I want, it's just my school's max is four options and I've got six in mind still and I wanna do them all. Eckkkk
    What options are you thinking about?

ReputationRep:
    6 A-Levels is a lot considering most universities only look at 3 (if that is what you were planning on doing). The stress would be so much I dont think you could bear it. If you really wanted to do it, consider doing AS for 2-3 of your extra options, that way you can drop it if you dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenTube)
    hey guyss great thread btw
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't. 5 is too much, and 6 is ludicrous. Limit yourself to 4. What are your options? Maybe we can give you a few pointers

ReputationRep:
    Normally with A Levels you take 3 subjects with 4 being the max as if you do more you're more likely to get mediocre grades than grades that you're proud off. I guess if you're struggling to choose the subjects you want to study to perhaps ask your school for advice or something.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.