62.66%
not helpful (149)
37.34%
weirdwakkidolli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham disregard the Extended Project?? News to me! Wish I'd known this a few months ago, I would have dropped it. This is only because I hated my supervisor haha I loved the Project itself. But I kept it on, in case that was the deciding factor in my offer from Durham - it would have been a bit naff if, once I'd got my offer I'd dropped it, when this is what they based my offer on or something hahha

But I'd definitely do it. I don't see what harm it can do, it can only improve your chances?

If you're doing the EP in essay format, it is a 5,000 word essay + Project Log (Length varies). It took me about 9 months to complete, but I didn't work flat out on it all the time - I kind of left it to last miute so in the end it probably took me a month? If you add it all together haha It depends on your work ethic really.

If you want examples, http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications...ed-project.php this has it under Key Materials>Teacher Resource Bank>Extended Project Candidate Exemplar Work. Might give you some idea of what's involved?

EDIT: Also on the same page look under "Additional Extended Project Samples" and there's some really good ones.
jamz0770
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is basically a research project on a topic of your choosing. I can only speak for the AQA one as thats the one I did. You think of an essay title/thesis (Usually based around a subject your doing) and then research it and produce a 5000 word essay/project. (You can do other options such as a film but essay is by far the most common) Then you fill in a ridiculously long book of paperwork and do a 20 minute presentation on your subject, followed by questions. Its supposed to prepare you more for university style essays/projects.

Some uni's like it more than others, Warwick accept it in place of an AS level but when I went for my UCL interview they didnt really care about it.

EDIT; Damn was beaten to it :p:
bubbaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Universities like it because it displays the skills needed on an undergraduate course, so whilst they may not automatically decrease your offer (although some will) its definitely a positive and if its tailored towards your degree will allow you to find something you're really interested in for your personal statement
weirdwakkidolli
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
What is the extended project? I've heard of it, don't know what it's about though.
The Extended PRoject is a qualification akin to Key Skills. It is a Level Three Key Skill and is offered under AQA and Edexcel (I don't think any of the other boards do it, but don't quote me).
Edexcel it tends to be more science based, AQA you can do a project on anything!! If you click on my link above, there are examples of the variety of things you can do.

It's a research-based project, supposedly similar to the kind you will do at University (although obviously I haven't been there yet so wouldn't know!). Universities supposedly like this for this reason.

You can either produce a performance, a product or an essay, the theme/topic of which can be anything you are interested in, as long as you don't cover it in your A-Level syllabi.
There are new similar qualifications, the Higher Project and the Foundation Project, that are now being offered, after the success of the Extended Project at A-Level, to younger students too.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! I've just completed mine, and am a mentor for both Extended Project and the Higher Project at my College, which last year was the top state college for the extended project (and A-Level results!) so we're pretty qualified on the subject!!!!
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have been offered the chance to do EPQ and have had some vague ideas of what I could do it on. The main thing I have come him for is some pros and cons of taking it.

Thanks
kuroshokora
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Am I the only one who thinks that 5000 words isn't enough for this project?
gernumblies
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kuroshokora)
It depends on your topic. What are you writing yours on?
kuroshokora
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
It depends on your topic. What are you writing yours on?
The societal censoring of language and character representation and the historical accuracy of Shakespeare's history plays.
Jhyzone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol, my one is going to be scientific and is struggling of trying to reach the word limit and not writing too much either!
Jhyzone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by singsongballadsmiles)
I was wondering how do they actually mark the EPQ? Like what distinguished the A* from the A, the A from the B and so on?
Wow, Pinoy!!

umm, they mark it using bands - top, average, low. each of these bands has marks.
eg.
top has 7-9 in A01 part of the specification
average has 5-7
low 3-6

or something. they have criteria for each (A01-A04) I think
then they total your marks and if total marks is:
TOP/average band A*/A
average/low A/B
low B - E

you get marks on - literature review, conclusion and your activity log.

good luck!
gernumblies
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The societal censoring of language and character representation and the historical accuracy of Shakespeare's history plays.
:eek: I can see how that could run over...
kuroshokora
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
:eek: I can see how that could run over...
And that's after narrowing it down from my original idea... :lolwut:
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*bump*
Yoyodiza
Report 8 years ago
Hi everyone.
I'm about to go into year 12, and I've opted to do extended project.
I have a couple of ideas on what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure whether they're good enough etc.

1) How multiculturism has changed Britain within the last 100 years.

2) How dialect/accent can change depending on age.

3) Either an essay analyzing a certain genre of book or looking a certain part of history e.g. Was Hitler evil, or just mentally unstable?

As A level subjects, I'm doing English Lit, Geography, History and Psychology. Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you.
d0mz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What is 'extended project' and why have you opted to do it?

Sounds like more work for little benefit.
username330427
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definitely number 2. :coma:
Yoyodiza
Report 8 years ago
It's like a long essay which is a stand alone AS qualification.
You can choose what it's about, but you have to research it
and write it up independently.
I chose to do it because I like to have the freedom to write about
things that interest me.
1platinum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can you do "Why England can't play football"? :p:
toothpaste kisses
Report 8 years ago
I think the second one sounds the best. Having done an EPQ this year my advice is to make sure it's something you really are interested in as it makes the project so much easier! Oh and make sure you keep track of all the dates of your review meetings to avoid making them up like I had to!
fallen__roses
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like no.3 - I think you can get quite a lot out of it I did the epq too - good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.7%
Leave (348)
20.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise