Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Did not expect that from the Patriots. At all...like literally, it's the most un-Patriots display you can imagine.

I don't know whether it was the O-line, Tom Brady the receivers, the play calling or a combination of all four, but I think I counted just one completion of throw which travelled more than 10 yards in the air. Most of Tom Brady's yards were short throws and long YACs in garbage time. And that defense...well...it was supposed to be a "bend but don't break defense" but they kept giving up the big play. Run defense for the Patriots has been absolutely atrocious and teams are finding ways to put up the yards on them...which baffles me because you have people like Donte Hightower, Jarad Mayo, Vince Wilfork and Brandon Spikes in that front seven. (Serious question: would you consider them better against the pass or against the run?) The jury's out on Revis...but he won't get too much lee-way, consistently allowing catches.

Patriots fans, is Garropolo the future? And when will that future arrive? I don't believe Brady is finished (despite being a Broncos fan...I hope Brady plays for a while yet)...but it must be an issue weighing heavily, right? I mean, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately business" and a "what can you do moving forward" one as well. Being benched, no matter how much the team is down, in a blowout, must be a first, however.
    The Pats getting blown out is such a rare occurence it's hard to remember - I looked back through their results and the last regular season blowout (or at the very least, game where a comeback is impossible in the 4th quarter) I can see is against the Saints in 2009, and Brady was benched then too with 5 minutes to go in the 4th Q, so it's not without precedent. Go back again to 2006 and Cassel took over when they got shut out against the Dolphins, so it looks at the very least that Brady gets benched when the game is out of reach (as he should be). What it really shows is how remarkable the Tom Brady era has been that they've only had a couple of blowouts in the last 8 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    The Pats getting blown out is such a rare occurence it's hard to remember - I looked back through their results and the last regular season blowout (or at the very least, game where a comeback is impossible in the 4th quarter) I can see is against the Saints in 2009, and Brady was benched then too with 5 minutes to go in the 4th Q, so it's not without precedent. Go back again to 2006 and Cassel took over when they got shut out against the Dolphins, so it looks at the very least that Brady gets benched when the game is out of reach (as he should be). What it really shows is how remarkable the Tom Brady era has been that they've only had a couple of blowouts in the last 8 years
    OK, thanks for that...it is right that the bench him where all hope is lost to reduce the chance of injury, however.

ReputationRep:
    Tom says he wants to play another 5 years. At this rate he wont be playing another season. There are numerous problems in the Patriots right now. Brady being one of them but it doesn't end there.

Firstly lets start with the coaching staff. Dante Scarnecchia was probably the best offensive line coach in the NFL. Trading Mankins has really made the Patriots lose a lot of grit and mental toughness. Last season with all those injuries they had no business being anywhere near the conference finals yet they made it still. This year the defense on paper is so much better yet its shambles. They can't stop the run and for some really puzzling reason. The coaching staff is making them play zone... You have Darelle Revis and yet you insist on playing so much zone. Besides Chandler Jones there is no pass rush, Ninkovich and Wilfork usually can play run well but even that this season they have been horrendous.

Matt Patricia is also an utter disgrace of a defensive coordinator. He plays to contain, no aggressiveness whatsoever.Josh McDaniels is also a joke, his plays are so obvious and vanilla I swear its a pattern non stop. Pats today passed a hell lot, yet they only had 3 WR active game day? Thompkins and Dobson inactive. What was that all about? The drafting has been pretty abysmal from the front office as well. Constantly trying to act "smart" by picking obscure reaches. Players like Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon in the second round? Get that crap out of here Bill. Sometimes you just go with the player who stood out. The coaches are a big problem. Kraft hasn't helped when he keeps being a cheap skate. We could have got Emmanuel Sanders yet we got LaFell... We have so much cap room for crying out loud.

Tom Brady is another problem, yes hes being hit and sacked at a crazy rate but today the O-line gave him a decent window a couple of times and he threw some crazy interceptions that were no where near Edelman. He also forced the ball to Gronkowski when Develin was wide open. He locks in on receivers and has had a tendency to do so. Its almost too easy to lose Brady's trust. Amendola was actually open quite a few times today yet Brady just blatently ignored him and when Amendola did make a catch it was always negated by a flag. His throws are wobbly and his decision making is horrible. Yes his receiving cast isn't great but there have been poor receiving casts before for the Patriots.

The Offensive line is another huge problem. Nate Solder is playing like ass. His pad level is so horrible its laughable, he loses leverage so easily and is stiffer than a 90 year old grandma that even Michael Sam could get multiple sacks on him. Dunno why though he has regressed so horribly. Marcus Cannon was playing as a tackle all last season and well most of TC yet hes now playing as a guard so slightly more understandable. Vollmer still hasn't recovered from the leg break and also looks pretty lumbering. They've lost nastiness that Mankins used to provide. There are no holes for the RB's and Brady can't really even do a simple 3 step drop back before theres pressure and even if he gets it out he gets blasted after. Can't throw to receivers if they have no time to get open.

There are numerous problems in this Patriots team right now and I find it very hard to see how they can right the ship, its not impossible but its damn hard. Edelman and Ghostkowski are the only ones who can hold their head high.

ReputationRep:
    Well done "Red Wright 88" on a deserved victory.

Now let the saltiness begin. I was sunk by some stupid quarterbacking play, which denied my wide recievers the chance to shine. In any other week, I'm certain Brandon Marshall and Julio Jones put up more than 15 combined points.

Like seriously, thanks Jay Cutler. PASS TO MARSHALL....NOT TO GREEN BAY. Of course...it would happen to be that I was I would be facing A-Rod in fantasy...great. When he's constantly given short fields because of Cutler's terrible picks...Touchdowns. Touchdowns everywhere. Grrr. Julio's numbers were a bit meh, although there were opportunities deep, and he has put up a great amount of points this season. In my IDP league, I was definitely not happy with the 3.80 points (out of 21 predicted points) put up by Pierre Garcon (Of which, 1.00 point on a tackle, from yet another Kirk Cousins interception), but fortunately, the person I was facing had Desean Jackson. 0.90 points (out of 5 projected points). Ouch.

The other thing is, every NFL.com pundit was like, start this player...because x, y and z. Had I followed their advice, I *shouldn't* have started Steve Smith Sr. in my other two teams...like their projections are a heap of steaming..well..you get the rest. In my main IDP league, I know Calvin Johnson was limited by a foot injury, but everyone was like..."sure...Start him with confidence...obvious starter etc...".....to just put up 1.20 points. 12 measly yards. Ugh.

/End Rant.
    Thanks - it's always a bit rough to get 110+ points and lose. In my other league I only needed 2 points from the Pats D. That didn't work out so well.

Also, the projections are always a bit dodgy, because they try and project some variance and they can't predict a player to have a touchdown every game. I tend to trust the ESPN ratings over them.

ReputationRep:
    Tempted to watch tonights game. Anyone in for a late one or am I talking to myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Tempted to watch tonights game. Anyone in for a late one or am I talking to myself?
    It's not late for me...but packers @ vikings vikings @ packers will be good. Although with it being outside and the vikings without Bridgewater and Peterson...I'm tempted to say Packers will win by 2 scores. :cool:. It'll be particularly interesting to see the battle between the packer's linebackers and the running game. (Although from a fantasy perspective, I need AJ Hawk to put in another 11 point game, really).

ReputationRep:
    It's not late for me...but packers @ vikings will be good. Although with it being outside and the vikings without Bridgewater and Peterson...I'm tempted to say Packers will win by 2 scores. :cool:. It'll be particularly interesting to see the battle between the packer's linebackers and the running game. (Although from a fantasy perspective, I need AJ Hawk to put in another 11 point game, really).
    I'd like to see 48-42 either way with Asiata and Patterson doing damage for the Vikes and Jordy Nelson putting up passing yard numbers for the Packers. That would be a fantasy ideal.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see 48-42 either way with Asiata and Patterson doing damage for the Vikes and Jordy Nelson putting up passing yard numbers for the Packers. That would be a fantasy ideal.
    In that case...as long as AJ Hawk puts in about 10 tackles and gets the game-winning pick-six...I will be most pleased with that

ReputationRep:
    Oh one more thing...expect the fantasy rushing vulture that is Christian Ponder to steal TDs from the running backs though......he had like 4 rushing TDs...one of the most by a QB last season...and how many games did he start again??

Edit: Geno Smith (72 rush) and Cam Newton (111) each had 6 rushing TDs, and Ponder (34) is tied with Luck (63) and Kaepernick (95).

ReputationRep:
    Oh one more thing...expect the fantasy rushing vulture that is Christian Ponder to steal TDs from the running backs though......he had like 4 rushing TDs...one of the most by a QB last season...and how many games did he start again??

Edit: Geno Smith (72 rush) and Cam Newton (111) each had 6 rushing TDs, and Ponder (34) is tied with Luck (63) and Kaepernick (95).
    Jesus. This was an unforseen problem.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus. This was an unforseen problem.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. That's a good throw. Rodgers could have taken a nap in that pocket...he had so much time...uncorked it deep and wow...easy TD for Jordy Nelson

ReputationRep:
    Matt Asiata and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Play.

WHY DIDN'T YOU KEEP THE BALL COVERED?!
    BASIC, BASIC PEE-WEE FOOTBALL 101.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep Glad that I got half of the score right but Asiata and Patterson both did horribly. I knew I should have benched him! It is my autopick, automanaged league though so I care about it less than TSR where Jordy Nelson did alright.

ReputationRep:
    Jersey day at work today

ReputationRep:
    Signed up for the american football society at freshers, still waiting on when trials or whatever are on!

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep Glad that I got half of the score right but Asiata and Patterson both did horribly. I knew I should have benched him! It is my autopick, automanaged league though so I care about it less than TSR where Jordy Nelson did alright.
    And who got the Viking's only rushing TD? The fantasy vulture...Christian Ponder :eek:

(Original post by Joshale)
    Signed up for the american football society at freshers, still waiting on when trials or whatever are on!
    Excellent. Which university?

Just remember, you'll get out of playing American Football at university what you put in, so stick at it.

And remember these wise words, from Theodore Roosevelt:

(Original post by Theodore Roosevelt)
    In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard.

ReputationRep:
    And who got the Viking's only rushing TD? The fantasy vulture...Christian Ponder :eek:

Excellent. Which university?

Just remember, you'll get out of playing American Football at university what you put in, so stick at it.

And remember these wise words, from Theodore Roosevelt:
    Leeds Met, I love the sport (watching it) so will be good to finally have a go at playing it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    Leeds Met, I love the sport (watching it) so will be good to finally have a go at playing it properly.
    Nice. It helps being a fan of watching. I found the NFL Up videos useful for polishing technique.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.