Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara8000)
    have you seen that video where someone converted colour frequencies into sound and made a piece of music based on it? :O (admittedly it was a vodaphone ad... )
    I've seen that yeah! It's so cool, it's so annoying it had to be vodafone.0, dam them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuremedic2096)
    Ha ha I'd like to think not but believe it or not I've seen people do it!
    and you would refer to the fine people of this great thread with the same brush? :O
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford shadowing day was amazing! I got a tour of the Said Business School and of New College for the first half of the day. My first shadow took me into one of his management tutorials and WOW, I've never experienced a more eye-opening experience - the level of analysis and discussion was more than anything I have witnessed at school! The tutor, rather unexpectedly, asked me to input on some of the ideas being discussed.

My second shadow gave me a tour of Pembroke and some of the *spacious* dorms, she didn't have any lectures so she decided me to show me some of her economics work. Lunch at Hertford was quite interesting... to say the least.

Overall a great day, until I found out my train was cancelled! I had to get a bus down to Coventry then concurrently connect trains to Crewe - only to find that my train to Aberdeen was cancelled. I spent the night at the station, without sleeping one wink, to catch the next train at 7am.

ReputationRep:
    and you would refer to the fine people of this great thread with the same brush? :O
    I send my outermost apologies to you all! I am deeply ashamed :eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    The Oxford shadowing day was amazing! I got a tour of the Said Business School and of New College for the first half of the day. My first shadow took me into one of his management tutorials and WOW, I've never experienced a more eye-opening experience - the level of analysis and discussion was more than anything I have witnessed at school! The tutor, rather unexpectedly, asked me to input on some of the ideas being discussed.

My second shadow gave me a tour of Pembroke and some of the *spacious* dorms, she didn't have any lectures so she decided me to show me some of her economics work. Lunch at Hertford was quite interesting... to say the least.

Overall a great day, until I found out my train was cancelled! I had to get a bus down to Coventry then concurrently connect trains to Crewe - only to find that my train to Aberdeen was cancelled. I spent the night at the station, without sleeping one wink, to catch the next train at 7am.
    haha, was waiting for you to get back to ask about it! so does oxford look like the place for you?

ReputationRep:
    WAHAY! have fun! don't forget to tell us all about it!
    Will do. Everyone here seems to be militant Cambridge fans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)

Will do. Everyone here seems to be militant Cambridge fans
    haha, well of course Cambridge is the better of the two but that doesn't mean we don't respect oxford haha so you prefer oxford, or don't know yet?

ReputationRep:
    haha, well of course Cambridge is the better of the two but that doesn't mean we don't respect oxford haha so you prefer oxford, or don't know yet?
    Can't say I have a preference yet, although I do pop onto the Cambridge applicants thread occasionally:cool:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    haha, was waiting for you to get back to ask about it! so does oxford look like the place for you?
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Though, I have to make the decision between Engineering at Cambridge and E&M at Oxford. The Said business school thoo.. so much awesome. *drools*

ReputationRep:
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Though, I have to make the decision between Engineering at Cambridge and E&M at Oxford. The Said business school thoo.. so much awesome. *drools*
    hmm, I'd go for the Cambridge have you applied for Sutton trust UK summer school? maybe you'd get an idea as to which then
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    hmm, I'd go for the Cambridge have you applied for Sutton trust UK summer school? maybe you'd get an idea as to which then
    I did, but to St. Andrews. I get to take two courses there Comp Sci. and Economics so, I'm hoping I'll be swayed towards either the engineering or econ side depending on my experience there.

I sense a very strong bias for Cambridge, how come? I haven't asked yet, but where else are you applying to (or thinking about applying to) and for what subject?

ReputationRep:
    I did, but to St. Andrews. I get to take two courses there Comp Sci. and Economics so, I'm hoping I'll be swayed towards either the engineering or econ side depending on my experience there.

I sense a very strong bias for Cambridge, how come? I haven't asked yet, but where else are you applying to (or thinking about applying to) and for what subject?
    haha, I always like there better for some reason, I think it's a result of my dad saying when he went to the open days all those years ago, he preferred Cambridge, also I fell in love with the place while on the shadowing scheme i'm not sure about where else, it's generally philosophy across the board atm it's a mashup of leeds, York, Exeter, durham, ucl, lse, heythrop college, and definitely Cambridge..... and then there's all the American unis should I make the Sutton trust us programme

ReputationRep:
    haha, I always like there better for some reason, I think it's a result of my dad saying when he went to the open days all those years ago, he preferred Cambridge, also I fell in love with the place while on the shadowing scheme i'm not sure about where else, it's generally philosophy across the board atm it's a mashup of leeds, York, Exeter, durham, ucl, lse, heythrop college, and definitely Cambridge..... and then there's all the American unis should I make the Sutton trust us programme
    Are you aware of the huge costs resulting in American uni as an international student!

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware of the huge costs resulting in American uni as an international student!
    ....yes... I have looked into these things I would apply for scholarships ofc... If I was to get into Harvard I think they cover costs for those from poor backgrounds anyway.... they have crazy amounts of money...or at least that's what this guy whose friend goes there said...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, it's much more of a tie for me - even after visiting Oxford. Ooh, philosophy? That's interesting, a lot of mental strain though, haha. I remember a fond conversation with a Philosophy teacher at my school, more specifically I remember scratching my head in confusion.

Nice mix of unis! I am (being forced) to apply to two Scottish universities - free tution etc... So, it looks like Oxford or Cambridge, Bristol (epic city!), UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

The US programme doesn't preclude you from applying! I would still apply to the American unis - you would get the same result either way. The sutton trust is only really there to give you advice and a feel of the university life in the states in doesn't help nor increase your chances of admission. I mean just check out my sticky for some financial aid stuff: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2160183 and the Harvard UK site: http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.u...inancial%20aid

ReputationRep:
    ....yes... I have looked into these things I would apply for scholarships ofc... If I was to get into Harvard I think they cover costs for those from poor backgrounds anyway.... they have crazy amounts of money...or at least that's what this guy whose friend goes there said...
    That's ok then, I had this one friend who thought the finance worked the same as it does here! :confused::confused:youre right Harvard is crazy rich!!! I think it's one of the wealthiest instructions globally!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It can be quite affordable depending on your family income! At the universities that meet a student's financial need (regardless of citizenship), you could end up paying nothing if your parents earn less than $65,000 (£38,000). Likewise, anyone earning up to about £100,000 can receive generous grants.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, it's much more of a tie for me - even after visiting Oxford. Ooh, philosophy? That's interesting, a lot of mental strain though, haha. I remember a fond conversation with a Philosophy teacher at my school, more specifically I remember scratching my head in confusion.

Nice mix of unis! I am (being forced) to apply to two Scottish universities - free tution etc... So, it looks like Oxford or Cambridge, Bristol (epic city!), UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

The US programme doesn't preclude you from applying! I would still apply to the American unis - you would get the same result either way. The sutton trust is only really there to give you advice and a feel of the university life in the states in doesn't help nor increase your chances of admission. I mean just check out my sticky for some financial aid stuff: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2160183 and the Harvard UK site: http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.u...inancial%20aid
    oxford and Edinburgh are my two favourite unis! I don't have 90% A* at GCSE though for oxford

ReputationRep:

yeah, it's just I want to know that I would be the right type of person, and get a feel, America would be such a big jump without a feel for the place... thanks for the proper links! I think i'd probably still go for Harvard and Chicago, but it wouldn't be with as much enthusiasm as if I did get on the programme, also I may want to apply for more I have friends in texas who want me to go there, so I could always apply there.... cept the fee to apply isn't nice ;_;

ReputationRep:
    It can be quite affordable depending on your family income! At the universities that meet a student's financial need (regardless of citizenship), you could end up paying nothing if your parents earn less than $65,000 (£38,000). Likewise, anyone earning up to about £100,000 can receive generous grants.
    Do you know more about this because I've always wanted to study in America but discounted it due to cost! I want to do medicine by the way! Thanks. Also what's Aberdeen like I'm thinking about the uni

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.