Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Think he was left out to dry a bit by Markovic tbh. Hazard had the beating of him a fair few times, but he held is own considering this is only his fifth game at the back for us.
    true - markovic definitely got caught up in attacking a little too much
    chelsea didn't exploit that enough imo.

yeah that's what i meant; he didn't shut hazard down, but he definitely did better than anybody thought he was gonna do.
    he really isn't made for CB though; i'm hoping rodgers will ease him in to the DM role, but i'm a little worried he might continue with this system and almost force Can in to being a CB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    No relief and we decided to sit back and use the leagues slowest midfield with two fast wingers when in reality Mourinho decided to be a pussy against a team that man for man in all areas of the pitch we were stronger than.
    why no relief?
    you could've easily lost that game - you were lucky that the referee loves you and that courtois is a top keeper.

you're better than us in every position like you said; no reason for you not to go out and beat us 2-0, then park the bus at the bridge.
    instead what you've done is let us completely dominate you for 90 minutes and give our players a sense of belief.

i am not in any way saying we'll win the tie; i think you're too strong for us at home.
    but our players will definitely feel better about facing you again after how much we did against you in the second half with virtually no reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    He's the best WUM there is so just best to ignore him. Usually if you take the exact opposite of what he's said, you're spot on.
    I was discussing Mourinho with my barber last year (random, I know ) and he was saying that he thinks Mourinho talks **** on purpose. That way everyone is focusing on what he is saying and not his players' performances, taking the pressure off of the players. It's pretty genius if that's actually his reasoning.

As for the game, we clearly dominated the entire game, just a shame we couldn't get a win out of it. Also a shame that Gerrard didn't get that revenge goal .

ReputationRep:
    They don't really need the three points against City though, unfortunately.
    Mourinho knows how massive the "6 pointer" is. They're playing at Stamford Bridge and City have no Toure so he'll go for the win. An 8 point lead at this point will be massive whereas a lead cut to 2 points and it's game on for the title.

We might have given an away goal but I don't think they kick in until after extra time. So if we're drawing after 90 mins, Chelsea will have to play another 30 mins which they won't want.

I think we'll see Mourinho rotate a bit more and we'll see a player like Ramires come in and maybe Remy/Drogba over Costa?

Shame it will be a 2nd string side against Bolton when I'm at Anfield
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    true - markovic definitely got caught up in attacking a little too much
    chelsea didn't exploit that enough imo.

yeah that's what i meant; he didn't shut hazard down, but he definitely did better than anybody thought he was gonna do.
    he really isn't made for CB though; i'm hoping rodgers will ease him in to the DM role, but i'm a little worried he might continue with this system and almost force Can in to being a CB.
    I think Can will be deployed there for the forseeable, so he can learn his trade and then eventually move into DM. Makes sense.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Shame it will be a 2nd string side against Bolton when I'm at Anfield
    I'm there too! Don't expect it will be that weak.

ReputationRep:
    I think Can will be deployed there for the forseeable, so he can learn his trade and then eventually move into DM. Makes sense.
    Yea I agree - I think we'll see Can there for the rest of this season but then next season we've see him rotated more regularly with Lucas in the DM role.

I'm there too! Don't expect it will be that weak.
    Well this is the game to rest a few players before we play Chelsea again and West Ham? Although we do then have a week break before Everton.

I think Rodgers really wants to win one domestic cup. It's something he can point to as success and the youngsters may get a taste for success and work harder for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well this is the game to rest a few players before we play Chelsea again and West Ham? Although we do then have a week break before Everton.

I think Rodgers really wants to win one domestic up. It's something he can point to as success and the youngsters may get a taste for success and work harder for it.
    It certainly is, but I'm not sure whether players like Sterling will be desperate for a rest yet. He's the type of player who needs to be used for five or six games on the bounce, then taken out for some respite, imo.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is, but I'm not sure whether players like Sterling will be desperate for a rest yet. He's the type of player who needs to be used for five or six games on the bounce, then taken out for some respite, imo.
    Well Sterling has had a couple of weeks off so he should start. Ibe is cup tied which is annoying. We may see Enrique and then Johnson/Manquillo come in? Lallana will probably start. Henderson is a machine so likely to play. Doubt we'll change the back 3 or GK. Not sure who out of Borini/Lambert/Balotelli may play - maybe all 3?

ReputationRep:
    http://instagram.com/p/yFo1a6Lj6n/?modal=true

Balo-onsie
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well Sterling has had a couple of weeks off so he should start. Ibe is cup tied which is annoying. We may see Enrique and then Johnson/Manquillo come in? Lallana will probably start. Henderson is a machine so likely to play. Doubt we'll change the back 3 or GK. Not sure who out of Borini/Lambert/Balotelli may play - maybe all 3?
    I'd take an XI of Mignolet, Johnson, Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Manquillo, Henderson, Gerrard, Lallana, Borini, Lambert right now tbh. Think that's quite realistic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're set to bid for Lacazette in the coming days, according to ESPN.

The Mirror, meanwhile, says we're only set to bid for Winston Reid.

ReputationRep:
    I think last night was a great view of the future of our squad - you can see where the gaps are and where we need to buy:

ST: Sturridge, [new striker], Origi, Lambert
    Attacking: Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana, Ibe, [either left sided player or attacking midfield player]
    Midfield: Henderson, Allen, [back-up to Henderson], Lucas, Can
    Defense: Moreno, [buy new LB who can play at LCB or LB], Sakho, Skrtel, [buy new RCB], Wisdom, Flanagan/Manquillo, [buy new attacking wingback]
    Goalkeeper: [new starting GK], [GK who can challenge or develop]

That gives us a squad of 25 players - looking to buy 8 new players is actually a lot.. although a few are just for squad depth.

New striker - this needs to be a player who can replace Sturridge as like-for-like or play with him to give flexibility. We should be shelling out top dollar for this player [budget: 20-30mil]
    New LW/AM - We probably have enough with the 5 currently in our squad and I imagine if Coutinho is out then Sterling goes over to the left side to cut in but I do wonder if we need another left-footed player in the squad or if we just go for a goal-scoring AM? This would be squad depth so I wouldn't spend too much unless it was the right target [budget: less than 10mil or don't spend]
    New CM: Henderson gives us real energy and ability from CM and we might be fine with Allen/Can covering either him or Lucas but I do wonder if 4 players are enough to cover such an important part of the midfield? I'd try and buy a young promising player and take a punt on someone for 5-10mil at the most.
    New LB: Everyone knows I dislike Enrique and hopefully he'll be sold in the summer. If we want the flexibility to play 3 at the back, I'd like a defensive styled LB who can also play LCB and give us the option to shut down the flank. Would be a squad player so no more than 5-10mil
    New RCB: We need an adequate back-up and I'm happy to cut my losses on Lovren. Need to be able to either replace Skrtel or play on the right side (with Wisdom as his understudy). Would splash out 15-20mil. I don't think Toure has the legs to play that role for us regularly.
    New RB: Need someone to replace Johnson. No doubt Wisdom can cover RB and we should have either or both of Flanagan/Manquillo but I do think we could use an attacking player. Markovic has done well so maybe Rodgers will opt not to buy and then we have 2 RBs + Markovic who moves back when needed? Spend 0-8mil
    New GKs: Mignolet has been shocking and he's not going to get better for us. His distribution/playing with feet isn't great and he flaps way too much for me. Would want a commanding GK and then perhaps a new back-up though not necessity. Spend £15mil on both max.

Sell: Balotelli, Lovren, Mignolet, B.Jones, Enrique, Borini, Coates, Aspas, Alberto - could raise about 50mil with this lot.
    Leave on free: Gerrard, Johnson, K.Toure

Looking to spend just over £100mil at the most on the 8 players I'd want so a net spend of about £50mil if we can afford it. Although we could spend around 70mil and only buy like 5 targets and rely on our squad which would only be a net spend of around 20mil.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take an XI of Mignolet, Johnson, Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Manquillo, Henderson, Gerrard, Lallana, Borini, Lambert right now tbh. Think that's quite realistic.
    Not sure we'll see Gerrard since he was a risk before the Chelsea game and he'll want to play away at Chelsea. Probably a sub for me?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not sure we'll see Gerrard since he was a risk before the Chelsea game and he'll want to play away at Chelsea. Probably a sub for me?
    I'd be comfortable with Lallana starting - especially because we'll have to be compact at Stamford Bridge given the result.

Our formation burst into life when Gerrard was replaced last night, and Lallana looked hungry and creative. His movement was great and his skill will trouble Bolton. He could be our match-winner, in truth.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mourinho's comments - while obvious - are absolutely on the money: "We have to win at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool have to win at Stamford Bridge".

They've got exactly what they wanted. It's all square after the first leg, and we'll struggle to make last night's performance mean anything in a week's time to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    When Sturridge comes back, who will get dropped for a regular starting lineup? We have Ibe, Gerrard, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling. Sterling is not getting dropped unless he gets injured and Ibe is not ready to start games, so that leaves two of Lallana, Coutinho and Gerrard having to make way. Bit of a headache for Rodgers as all three have been playing well. There's Markovic too but I'm presuming Rodgers will leave him at wingback, feel like he can offer more in AM tbh but he's doing fine at the wing back role, can offer something going forward and has pace and determination to track back and defend unlike Johnson.

Refreshing to have options in AM now, we can rotate in EL, PL and FA Cup games, last season we only had Moses...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    When Sturridge comes back, who will get dropped for a regular starting lineup? We have Ibe, Gerrard, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling. Sterling is not getting dropped unless he gets injured and Ibe is not ready to start games, so that leaves two of Lallana, Coutinho and Gerrard having to make way. Bit of a headache for Rodgers as all three have been playing well. There's Markovic too but I'm presuming Rodgers will leave him at wingback, feel like he can offer more in AM tbh but he's doing fine at the wing back role, can offer something going forward and has pace and determination to track back and defend unlike Johnson.

Refreshing to have options in AM now, we can rotate in EL, PL and FA Cup games, last season we only had Moses...
    Interestingly, Rodgers has been quotes as saying our "style" is working, rather than the system. That hints that we'll use many systems depending on the situation.

Fielding two players behind the main striker means Rodgers can always pair creative talents together: Sterling and Coutinho are the first-choice, obviously, but Gerrard still has a place.

Getting maximum impact from Gerrard will rely on Rodgers not overusing him. He can be explosive and breathe life into a game, rather than sauntering along at a pedestrian pace.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game since I was at the theatre but I hear we played really well and we were unlucky to draw. I saw Sterling's goal and it was lovely and wrt to the penalty it was the correct decision since Hazard was quick with the ball and Can was a little clumsy. The second leg will be difficult since it's at the bridge but I feel confident that we can win especially as our form has been improving of late. Will Sturridge get a cameo at Bolton/Chelsea? I'm dying for him to get fit and play already!

ReputationRep:
    Don't think Rodgers is going to risk Sturridge yet, he'll probably be on the bench for the West Ham game which is arguably more important than the FA and League cup games.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.