Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jarred)
    If anyone was ever interested, this is kinda why offsite communications in principle were fought so strongly by me in my time as Speaker and later mod. It just made what I had to do 10x more difficult to manage, especially from an investigation perspective. Because I always felt compelled to do something to help, but when it goes offsite that really becomes very difficult! Things like Skype rooms and external sites are a lot more prevalent now, but I just try to imagine what the fallout would have been like if we had all that stuff in the Morgsie era! Wow!

On the other hand, this wiki seems fun at least. I am bored enough to consider writing myself an article :teeth: Until TMD goes and vandalises it or whatever. But yeah it's certainly a very difficult thing to manage when people use (abuse?) it. Obviously I'm just a normal member now but I think we only had that thing about extending the rules offsite material as a way to stop people being dicks with AdHoC, which is really only an extension of what goes on onsite, because any given AdHoC issue was basically just a hyperlink or attachment contained within a normal post. You can't exactly apply that same reasoning with a completely different site. You have no idea of telling who's who for starters.

Also HELLO AGAIN :heart:
    Hello stranger

Will you stick around for a little longer this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jarred)
    To be fair I haven't lived up to the name of SL in a very long time! But D&CA still has miser as before
    Where have you been? :eek: Each time I asked where you and Kit were the CT said you were still active in the background.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Where have you been? :eek: Each time I asked where you and Kit were the CT said you were still active in the background.
    Haha, of course they're gonna say that... Not gonna admit that they had an inactive ST and SL member...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I've always said i valued the working poor and their prosperity.
    Unfortunately your party with its love of agencies and insecure, low paid work, does not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Unfortunately your party with its love of agencies and insecure, low paid work, does not.
    How did I guess you would be tory bashing again like a broken record.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    On look, yet another murderous "refugee"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...thern-germany/

ReputationRep:
    I am pleased to see that things have quietened down after the heated debate over proposers and seconders of the VoNC. I enjoyed the cup of tea I recommended and the end of the Tour de France.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I am pleased to see that things have quietened down after the heated debate over proposers and seconders of the VoNC. I enjoyed the cup of tea I recommended and the end of the Tour de France.
    You have good tastes. I enjoy watching the Tour too but I missed it today. Who won? The Manx Missile I presume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How did I guess you would be tory bashing again like a broken record.
    How did I know you'd have your nose up the arse of the tory party again like a broken record?

Oh give over JD. As if you don't bash other parties with every other post... You're one of the biggest hypocrites on here. You regularly attack other parties and other posters yet as soon as someone criticizes your beloved tory party you get super sensitive and start firing shots left right and centre to deflect away from the actual point being discussed.

It's a place for political debate. If you disagree with my post then debate me about the part you take issue with rather than attacking me personally.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Agency work suits some, in fact I know some teachers who prefer supply work for its flexibility. Instead of being against flexibility in the labour market, why don't you ask people what they actually want - I think that you'll find some workers who like the flexibility of agency work and other types of work such as zero hours contracts.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How did I know you'd have your nose up the arse of the tory party again like a broken record?

Oh give over JD. As if you don't bash other parties with every other post... You're one of the biggest hypocrites on here. You regularly attack other parties and other posters yet as soon as someone criticizes your beloved tory party you get super sensitive and start firing shots left right and centre to deflect away from the actual point being discussed.

It's a place for political debate. If you disagree with my post then debate me about the part you take issue with rather than attacking me personally.
    I wish there were an easy way to see what perecentage of posts are bashing other parties, pretty sure your percentage would be by a long long way the highest in the thread, bar perhaps people that only have one or two posts. All you do is come in, say how evil the tories are, and then leave again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Agency work suits some, in fact I know some teachers who prefer supply work for its flexibility. Instead of being against flexibility in the labour market, why don't you ask people what they actually want - I think that you'll find some workers who like the flexibility of agency work and other types of work such as zero hours contracts.
    That would require being in touch
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Well quite - as I say, I've spoken to many on zero hours contracts and those who work for agencies and sure, one or two are concerned about the lack of fixed hours/ guaranteed work, but the vast majority like the flexibility it provides them.

ReputationRep:
    I wish there were an easy way to see what perecentage of posts are bashing other parties, pretty sure your percentage would be by a long long way the highest in the thread, bar perhaps people that only have one or two posts. All you do is come in, say how evil the tories are, and then leave again.
    Actualy it's not at all. I discuss a whole host of things. In fact the majority of my posts, recently have been ones in which I fully supported our conservative prime minister and government or about how I want rid of Corbyn.

On the other hand, near enough every other post of yours seems to be criticizing labour or lefties. That's fine, it's a place of political debate but it's laughable you get so offended and sensitive any time anyone so much as criticizes your beloved conservatives.
    Any time someone slates the tories you either attack the poster or attack labour. You never actually engage with the point being made.

If you have an issue with the point I was making then address the point rather than attacking the poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Some workers will. But I highly doubt that Agency workers 'prefer' having no sick or holiday pay and having no guarantees about working hours.
    And it's not just about the workers. Agencies leach money out our public services, giving tax payers money to big agency firms rather than local councils.

You can still have flexible contracts which are not ZHC.

The idea that we have to choose between flexibility and workers rights is laughable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Some workers will. But I highly doubt that Agency workers 'prefer' having no sick or holiday pay and having no guarantees about working hours.
    And it's not just about the workers. Agencies leach money out our public services, giving tax payers money to big agency firms rather than local councils.

You can still have flexible contracts which are not ZHC.

The idea that we have to choose between flexibility and workers rights is laughable.
    Have you spoken to agency workers? I have and I can tell you that those that I speak to don't focus on on a lack of sick or holiday pay or a lack of guaranteed hours, they first and foremost prefer the flexibility and the ability to adjust their hours to what they want and can cope with. Now, if you've spoken to agency workers who say the opposite, please present your evidence and I'd be happy to have a proper debate on this. You can have flexible contracts that aren't ZHC you're right, but ZHC are good for companies who are susceptible to uneven business, having lulls in orders say, and are good for workers who might be able to work some weeks, but not others. Again, if you've spoken to people who say to the contrary, please present your evidence. But the people I have spoken to like the flexibility and time and again that is what they focus on more than anything else.

Did I say that we have to choose between flexibility and workers rights? No.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I swear the TdF finished much later than this last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No surprise to see you run and leave the debate when challenged to deal with the substance of a post rather than make petty personal attacks or generic attacks against 'lefties' and 'labour'.

You really do need to get your head out the arse of the tory party once in a while.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No surprise to see you run and leave the debate when challenged to deal with the substance of a post rather than make petty personal attacks or generic attacks against 'lefties' and 'labour'.

You really do need to get your head out the arse of the tory party once in a while.
    A debate I don't care about, but I'm yet to run from debate when being asked to confirm the existence of central park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    You have good tastes. I enjoy watching the Tour too but I missed it today. Who won? The Manx Missile I presume?
    Mark Cavendish dropped out of the Tour earlier in the week to prepare for the Rio Olympics, even though he'd won four stages. *Chris Froome won the race overall, the last stage was won by Andre Greipel narrowly over Peter Sagan. *I was in Paris only four weeks ago visiting my family there and so the route was fresh in my mind.

Chris Froome is the first rider to defend the title in a long time, if you discount the cheat Lance Armstrong. *He also gave his speech of thanks in both English and French.*

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.