Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Terrible. Sums up everything.

I'll give NI credit too. Some of their counters looked dangerous and Jonny Evans, well... great game for him.

Always make qualifying so much harder than it has to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)

I'll give NI credit too. Some of their counters looked dangerous and Jonny Evans, well... great game for him.

Dear, oh dear... what a rubbish week for Portugal. Dominated Russia but lost, dominated against N. Ireland but couldn't win and we were pretty poor throughout. At home.

I hate how we play like a completely different team in the qualifiers, as if the qualification will happen on its own. The calculators will be out by the end, I'm sure..

ReputationRep:
    Messi scores again. His 12th international goal this year.

ReputationRep:

Yup, dunno why portugal are always so poor qualifying yet do well in tournaments. Who were the last 'big team' that you beat in the actual tournament though, if I remember it was england in the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yup, dunno why portugal are always so poor qualifying yet do well in tournaments. Who were the last 'big team' that you beat in the actual tournament though, if I remember it was england in the world cup.
    Holland at Euro 2012?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Holland at Euro 2012?
    I'm an idiot, completely forgot portugal were in a group of death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Dear, oh dear... what a rubbish week for Portugal. Dominated Russia but lost, dominated against N. Ireland but couldn't win and we were pretty poor throughout. At home.

I hate how we play like a completely different team in the qualifiers, as if the qualification will happen on its own. The calculators will be out by the end, I'm sure..
    Yeah, a week to forget for Bento & Portugal really. I just wish Bento was a little less stubborn in terms of his selections and line ups. I wish he gave a couple of the other guys a chance.

I know we’re not that far into the season but Varela has had a couple of games where he has played a huge part in the Porto games and possibly deserves to be starting instead of Nani – who hasn’t been great this season.

With Fab being injured Miguel Lopes shouldn’t have been in the LB position because he quite simply isn’t a LB so we lost that running down the left wing. What was the point in calling Nelson (I know he can play LB too, but like Lopes he is far better on the right than left)? Why not give Eliseu a call who is an actual LB? Even Silvio could be thrown there. Would have liked to see Pizzi or Nelson Oliveira get a run out too (or even Eder on sooner), we needed a goal...

But yeah, another nail-biting qualification we'll have to sit through it seems.

(Original post by jam277)
    I'm an idiot, completely forgot portugal were in a group of death.
    Yeah - that group. Holland were woeful though and as for Denmark, are they really “big” like you asked in the question? To us that was a huge game because we’ve often struggled against them in the past, but are they big? When it comes to actually playing in the tournaments we play well and look quite decent but come to the qualifiers and it tends to be “another one of those games”. Quite annoying.

Neymar. :sogood:

Lovely first touch.

Also,

After the game the striker again denied growing speculation that he will leave the club in January for Chelsea or Barcelona. The player rights agency DIS, which owns 40 percent of the striker's economic rights, has spoken of its desire to end all ties with Santos.

"DIS may still have some of my rights, as you know, but they don't have responsibility for my life," he said. "Those who control my life are me and my dad. From the moment you hear from my mouth, or from my dad's mouth that I will leave, then you can start to believe it."

He told reporters: "There are always rumours and I am always saying 'no, I'm staying'. Then, you guys always say I'm leaving. So, please, believe me for once."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...jet-lag-santos

ReputationRep:
    It staggers me that some people still think that he's just another Robinho. He's so much better than that.

ReputationRep:
    Dortmund lost at home to Schalke. That defeat leaves them 12 points behind Bayern, who have a 100% record in the Bundesliga.

ReputationRep:
    They'll still find a way to blow it, I'm sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Neymar. :sogood:
    (...)
    No doubt, he is a genius on the ball. Awesome solo! I'm wonder that he doesn't still play by a top team in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone catch the Atletico Mineiro vs Fluminense game? Absolute cracker of a game! Title race is not over yet after that. Atletico closed it up to only 6 points between them now after a 93rd minute winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    And Sportings misery continues. Only caught the ET part of the game... what the hell is up with them? They had chances just in that 30m period though and i thought RvW's shot at the end was in. So far, it's completely not Sportings season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Despite losing to Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps become the first ever Canadian team to reach the MLS play offs thanks to Seattle beating FC Dallas. Vancouver will play either Seattle themselves or LA Galaxy.

ReputationRep:
    And Sportings misery continues. Only caught the ET part of the game... what the hell is up with them? They had chances just in that 30m period though and i thought RvW's shot at the end was in. So far, it's completely not Sportings season.
    Haha, yeh.. I saw Sporting were 1-0 in the first half and then went off to do something else. Came back later and saw it was 3-2 to Moreirense in ET and turned on the match for the last 15 mins.

Sporting were dominating and had a couple of good chances, but why didn't they play like that for the first 90 minutes (I dunno if they did actually, because I didn't watch it)?

Anyway, it has been very poor from Sporting. Nothing they do makes any sort of impact on their football. They brought in a couple of good players this season, they've sacked managers, but its still exactly the same mess as last season. In fact, its probably worse because they were at least pretty good in the Europa League.

Anyway. Benfica, Porto and Braga all safely through to the next round.

European football again from tomorrow. Annoyed that Benfica starts early (in Russia)... very important match, hopefully I can get home in time to watch it and then Braga later on most likely.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
    Despite losing to Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps become the first ever Canadian team to reach the MLS play offs thanks to Seattle beating FC Dallas. Vancouver will play either Seattle themselves or LA Galaxy.
    Intriguing. Do you think they have any chance of clinching it? :beard:

Also, what Canadian teams play in the MLS? Do any of them have a decent history in it?

ReputationRep:

Also, what Canadian teams play in the MLS? Do any of them have a decent history in it?
    Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Intriguing. Do you think they have any chance of clinching it? :beard:

I don't think Vancouver will clinch it overall, the likes of LA Galaxy, San Jose, Chicago Fire, New York, DC United and Real Salt Lake are much stronger teams, then again you never know Vancouver have surprised a few times this season. Until last season there wasn't any Canadian teams in the MLS, Vancouver became the first team to enter it, this season we also had Toronto and Montreal enter, as expected though they found the first season tough, apparantly Ottawa plan to enter in 2014. Vancouver reaching the play offs in just their second season in the MLS is a remarkable achievement really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Haha, yeh.. I saw Sporting were 1-0 in the first half and then went off to do something else. Came back later and saw it was 3-2 to Moreirense in ET and turned on the match for the last 15 mins.

Sporting were dominating and had a couple of good chances, but why didn't they play like that for the first 90 minutes (I dunno if they did actually, because I didn't watch it)?

Anyway, it has been very poor from Sporting. Nothing they do makes any sort of impact on their football. They brought in a couple of good players this season, they've sacked managers, but its still exactly the same mess as last season. In fact, its probably worse because they were at least pretty good in the Europa League.

Anyway. Benfica, Porto and Braga all safely through to the next round.

European football again from tomorrow. Annoyed that Benfica starts early (in Russia)... very important match, hopefully I can get home in time to watch it and then Braga later on most likely.
    Contrasting Champions League for us. Benfica seem to be having a CL like what we had last season, and we seem to be doing a you by not losing yet!

Disappointing from Benfica last night really. Pretty much all over the place, i thought Matic was terribly poor but just generally not a good performance all round from Benfica.

As for Braga, i couldn't quite believe Alan had scored two and they were two-nil up. Shame they couldn't hold on for the point though but a much better performance from them in the CL than last time when they were in the UK at the Emirates and lost 6-0 and looked a bit of a joke.

Big difference for us from last year, we might actually progress further this season! Jackson continues to be beastly. He could have scored more in that game too but i'll take his other two goals. Not great in the 2nd half, defence was a bit all over the place but Lucho was great, two assists, endless tackles and was just everywhere. Just glad we held on.

I see Sporting have got themselves a new manager until the end of the season. Lets see if he can kick them into gear. Genk for them tomorrow but I don't know what to expect from Sporting right now. Academica have got a tough match vs Atleti and Maritimo equally as tough vs Bordeaux, don’t really expect much from either.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.