The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirMasterKey
Do you think that a London based NFL franchise would work?

Absolutely not. There is no way to make it feasible, and I really think the NFLPA would oppose it...with the way the draft works, is it right that players from college would be forced to live in another country and assimilate to the culture of another country? I think not. I don't see it.

If I'm stating the obvious, it's because a lot of people are not seeing the practicalities of it all. A British home game represents an international away game. Take fans of the Broncos for example. A round trip, Denver to Heathrow, for November 23rd-24th, begins at $2500 a pop. That's just flights. For fans of a certain team from Massachusetts, you are still talking a good $1000 return flight -- same dates. Bear in mind flight prices are cheaper from the US and really isn'tgood. Take Boston to San Diego, by far, the longest journey an NFL fan would have to undertake. Return, it is less than $400 -- again, same dates. As it is, from Pocatello to Denver, it's going to be a 9 hour car journey to get there, using up $200 of gas. I was able to get tickets for $115 on NFL ticket exchange. Watching NFL at stadiums is expensive.

The only feasible way, it can be made palatable, is if NFL teams chartered planes to take their fans to the game, or subsidence the increased travelling costs. But then there would practicalities to consider; NFL fans would still have to be in university, in work or at home on monday morning. Needless to say, that's expensive and the fan will get screwed over. Even more.

The thing is, with American sports, ill-thought out decisions lead to rebellions. The NFL's monopoly of professional Football in the United States is not absolute nor certain. A London Franchise, might just give the impetus to Vince McMahon to launch his own league again, without the gimmicks of the XFL.

And in NFL, the fan experience is king.

Also, why Wembley games are great for British, and European fans, and don't get me wrong, it makes it really accessible for European fans to watch a live NFL game, and after seeing some of friends meet Terell Davis... but it's a real pain for season ticket holders who paid good money to watch 8 home games for their favorite team.

The NFL, and teams, should appeal more to its dedicated fans. You know...the ones who, in freezing temperatures, are sitting in the upper echelons of an open-aired stadium stamping their feet just to stay warm, wearing layer upon layer, hoarse of voice; even when their team is down a gazillion, and who will be back doing the same, despite their team having a rubbish season, for every home game.

And I swear down if someone mentions Jacksonville....those people of that very proud Southern city, fought really hard to get an NFL franchise. They are going to fight even hard to keep their franchise. Also...the way the CBA is structured, teams won't really be able to lose money...so even then, the Jags would be locked into their stadium lease.

On the other hand, bringing back NFL Europe and putting an NFLE franchise in the Olympic Stadium, would be a better idea; aggressively marketing the league, and getting TV revenues; as much as I hate sky, it's not beyond the realms of probability that they could pick up such a thing having picked up marginal sports such as A1 before. It could then be a development league for NFL players, and other practise squad players who wouldn't have had that chance. Sadly, the London franchise would just have to be happy to be beaten by the German/Austrian champs. Brent Grimes, the corner for the Dolphins was farmed out to the Hamburg Sea Devils, so it can work.
Reply 9202
Finally coughed up for a Game Pass as I'm heading off to uni tomorrow, and I don't think they'd be appreciative of the dubious streams I usually watch the games on (plus better quality!) :lol:
Reply 9203

What the ****?

I remember when Tebow was there he basically won every damn game for them...
Original post by alow
Finally coughed up for a Game Pass as I'm heading off to uni tomorrow, and I don't think they'd be appreciative of the dubious streams I usually watch the games on (plus better quality!) :lol:

I have audiopass...the streams are really good.
Original post by alow
What the ****?

I remember when Tebow was there he basically won every damn game for them...

I know...so disappointing. I mean...the Broncos executives cannot really talk of a good record when it comes to drink-driving :rolleyes: 1 more game and he was back......it's a strange one....
Original post by jammy4041
And who got the Viking's only rushing TD? The fantasy vulture...Christian Ponder :eek:

It was written in the stars clearly. A TD would have made Asiata's points total so much more acceptable too!
(edited 9 years ago)

Nope. British NFL fans who already exist aren't going to switch allegiances. I'm a Seahawks fan now, I'll be a Seahawks fan in 2022 (if that's when it's going to happen), and I'm not just going to switch to the Jags/Rams/Raiders or whoever just because of location.

Therefore, the fan base would be made up of existing Americans, who will never get to see their team play (cheaply or feasibly very often) and kids and others who are starting to get into the game, a fan base which'll take years to build up.

Timewise, it's unfair - you can't have the 49ers or 'Hawks playing in England and then flying back to play in San Diego 7 days later. That's an 8 hour time difference, it would destroy them.

It's a bad idea, I'll be honest, but sadly it looks like it may well get put through. It'll be back in America by 2025...
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Nope. British NFL fans who already exist aren't going to switch allegiances. I'm a Seahawks fan now, I'll be a Seahawks fan in 2022 (if that's when it's going to happen), and I'm not just going to switch to the Jags/Rams/Raiders or whoever just because of location.

Therefore, the fan base would be made up of existing Americans, who will never get to see their team play (cheaply or feasibly very often) and kids and others who are starting to get into the game, a fan base which'll take years to build up.

Timewise, it's unfair - you can't have the 49ers or 'Hawks playing in England and then flying back to play in San Diego 7 days later. That's an 8 hour time difference, it would destroy them.

It's a bad idea, I'll be honest, but sadly it looks like it may well get put through. It'll be back in America by 2025...

The thing is...everyone is concerned with the players. Fine. They play the sport and make magic happen every Sunday. It is refreshing to see someone else who is thinking of the fans too.

But it's the fans on all sides who get screwed....(consider this a synopsis of my tldr post :smile: ) Taking your example...tell a Charger that they have to travel to an away game...in England, 5549 miles at nearly $3000...before tickets. I mean...a game without away fans is just pointless...so you need away fans right? At least the UK has some fans of every team...I guess...but I don't know...I would hope the league rewards the fans who support their team, going to games week in week out.

Unfortunately there can't be a UK NFL franchise, the UK would need its own league as flying across the pond each week would be death for the team, at a minimum it's an 8 hour flight and at a max it's 10-15 hours :frown:
x

Original post by cant_think_of_name
x

Original post by tehFrance
x

Cheers! Not a huge fan of NFL as I don't really understand the sport/have any interest. Was just curious what people who do follow it thought after the suggestions of a London based franchise being made.
Reply 9211
By far the greatest moment this season.

https://vine.co/v/OaIzdWiEF9P

You bored now Sherm
Reply 9212
Original post by tehFrance
Unfortunately there can't be a UK NFL franchise, the UK would need its own league as flying across the pond each week would be death for the team, at a minimum it's an 8 hour flight and at a max it's 10-15 hours :frown:

Guess it's time for Apple to build the transatlantic tunnel.
Jacksonville lost again. Jesus.

Carolina get a TD on the crappiest bit of tackle timing I've ever seen on a punt. Then the Bears don't play to the whistle, the Bears deserve to be 7 down for that bit of mindlessness.

Cam Newton's block, scary but actually pretty good!

The fact that I have Cutler on the bench is killing me inside right now. 20+ points at the 2 minute warning as opposed to Stafford's 4.5 :mad:

I nearly benched Demaryius Thomas... I'm very glad I didn't, my TSR matchup is sewn up but 134 point games are GFM
(edited 9 years ago)
To the owner of "Shad Khan has a Swimming Pool"...well played. I won't begrudge DT having a amazing game if it means my Broncos win :biggrin: Have a Snickers for the highest scoring player, as well as crushing me.

Original post by 419
Guess it's time for Apple to build the transatlantic tunnel.

From Chicago to Salt Lake City, it was a 37 hour train ride via Amtrak. I was still feeling jet/train lag for a few days afterwards. Transatlantic trains are a cool idea, but unless it's a rocket-powered or maglev, it wouldn't be feasible.
To the owner of "Shad Khan has a Swimming Pool"...well played. I won't begrudge DT having a amazing game if it means my Broncos win :biggrin: Have a Snickers for the highest scoring player, as well as crushing me.

From Chicago to Salt Lake City, it was a 37 hour train ride via Amtrak. I was still feeling jet/train lag for a few days afterwards. Transatlantic trains are a cool idea, but unless it's a rocket-powered or maglev, it wouldn't be feasible.

Thanks! I've had a worldie in all honesty. You'd have beaten at least 5 teams with that score which is a bit of a gutter. Mad that I could have had 25 more points with better start/sit strategy too. I rocked at Premier League fantasy football this week too. It's been a good one in fantasy land for me. Well played, you had me concerned at the start it looked like it was going to be very nip and tuck.

As for that train journey... Ouch. I was trying to plot my way back to Newcastle after Wembley in Week 10, would have had to take trains for 9 hours if my Mum didn't come to the rescue and offer to drive me up from York the morning after. I knew making my NFL trip a family trip to London would pay dividends somehow. I also get to be in time for my Solicitors Accounts lecture at 10am on Monday morning, that'll be a productive session I'm sure!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
Thanks! I've had a worldie in all honesty. You'd have beaten at least 5 teams with that score which is a bit of a gutter. Mad that I could have had 25 more points with better start/sit strategy too. I rocked at Premier League fantasy football this week too. It's been a good one in fantasy land for me. Well played, you had me concerned at the start it looked like it was going to be very nip and tuck.

As for that train journey... Ouch. I was trying to plot my way back to Newcastle after Wembley in Week 10, would have had to take trains for 9 hours if my Mum didn't come to the rescue and offer to drive me up from York the morning after. I knew making my NFL trip a family trip to London would pay dividends somehow. I also get to be in time for my Solicitors Accounts lecture at 10am on Monday morning, that'll be a productive session I'm sure!

I wouldn't exactly mind but...it's more of a theme. In all my fantasy teams, I'm top-3 in terms of scoring...but I have conceded the most. 110+ points in the TSR league last week, and a loss. More stuff like that in my IDP league. Oh well. I'd rather my team win, and my team's players do well rather than winning in fantasy (although both would be ideal)

I just...didn't expect a Broncos franchise record in passing yards by a QB (Peyton), receiving yards by a WR (DT) against the Cardinals. Peterson and Cromartie were target mercilessly.
I wouldn't exactly mind but...it's more of a theme. In all my fantasy teams, I'm top-3 in terms of scoring...but I have conceded the most. 110+ points in the TSR league last week, and a loss. More stuff like that in my IDP league. Oh well. I'd rather my team win, and my team's players do well rather than winning in fantasy (although both would be ideal)

I just...didn't expect a Broncos franchise record in passing yards by a QB (Peyton), receiving yards by a WR (DT) against the Cardinals. Peterson and Cromartie were target mercilessly.

Yeah my TSR loss was a drubbing where I scored 68 so I can have no real complaints. It's just a shame it was against Red Wright 88 (who is going to win this week based on the Chargers pending shutout so long as Pierre Garcon doesn't light up the Seahawks) And with my actual team being the Jags, I'm asking for my team to lose. Bortles today wasn't great but rookies will play like rookies. One pick was a bad ball, the pick six was a great jumped route. On the subject of rookies, sometimes there was 6/11 offensive players as rookies on the field. That's an indicator of a glaring lack of depth. 0-5 sucks but it takes a while to stock a barren cupboard and you have to like Bortles. Luke Joeckel is worrying though. He's nowhere near a franchise LT at the minute, Jake Matthews comes along once a decade but seriously Joeckel was a turnstile on some key plays.
Have a feeling the Patriots and Tom are heading for a very messy divorce.
The GOAT is ****ing PUMPED tonight! Guy's running with the ball like he's playing his last game at Superbowl 50.

Latest