Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wenger should hijack Lamela of Spurs to show fighting intent, stop spurs strengthening and improving you on the wings considerably, its a no brainer really, but will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. He was so emotional! I feel sorry for him, I agreed with everything he said, someone needs to send that to the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    This is the reason AVB is so successful. He says I need a RW, CAM, ST. Go find me them Baldini, and off he goes. Come back after the weekend match and it's Christmas.
    Its the reason why Wenger and David Dein was so successful. David still hasn't been replaced yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Wenger should hijack Lamela of Spurs to show fighting intent, stop spurs strengthening and improving you on the wings considerably, its a no brainer really, but will never happen.
    Never will. They'll have Lamela and William on the wings. That's serious stuff. We have Podolski and Walcott, two players who wanna play through the middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Its the reason why Wenger and David Dein was so successful. David still hasn't been replaced yet.
    Yup. So in this respect, who's job was it to replace Dein? It was the board's. So this is the cut and thrust of football. Fans believe the manager is 100% in charge of everything at the club when in reality, the manager is in charge of the team sheet and what goes on in games. Behind that you have the coaches, physios etc. and then you have the scouts who need to do their bit.

I know not all clubs have directors of football but Dein was that sort of guy who would do the dealings, most probably after having spoken to scouts. Wenger has never been independent of another man doing the deals...until the trophy drought started.

Baldini is probably the most important man at Spurs - he has vast contacts in several leagues and with agents. Getting a player is almost like launching a business in football. Without Dein, it seems Arsenal haven't got a whisper of who's on the market until it's too late.

I don't know why he was never replaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Yup. So in this respect, who's job was it to replace Dein? It was the board's. So this is the cut and thrust of football. Fans believe the manager is 100% in charge of everything at the club when in reality, the manager is in charge of the team sheet and what goes on in games. Behind that you have the coaches, physios etc. and then you have the scouts who need to do their bit.

I know not all clubs have directors of football but Dein was that sort of guy who would do the dealings, most probably after having spoken to scouts. Wenger has never been independent of another man doing the deals...until the trophy drought started.

Baldini is probably the most important man at Spurs - he has vast contacts in several leagues and with agents. Getting a player is almost like launching a business in football. Without Dein, it seems Arsenal haven't got a whisper of who's on the market until it's too late.

I don't know why he was never replaced.
    Perhaps Wenger suggested not replacing him and him taking on Dein's role. I wouldn't be surprised - there has been suggestions of Wenger being a bit dictatorial. But as long as he thought he could handle it, it's fine. But clearly he has NOT. He is atrocious in the market.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Perhaps Wenger suggested not replacing him and him taking on Dein's role. I wouldn't be surprised - there has been suggestions of Wenger being a bit dictatorial. But as long as he thought he could handle it, it's fine. But clearly he has NOT. He is atrocious in the market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's interesting to see David Dein's son however has helped several of our starts leave in recent years, most recently, Robin Van Persie.

ReputationRep:
    David Dein is 69 years old age. We need to change our structure but bringing back someone from a different era because he worked makes as much sense as bringing back George Graham as manager. How good was our transfer policy from 2004-2007? I seem to remember selling Henry, Vieira, Cole Hleb, Reyes in that era with no big signings coming in either. The guy wasnt some kind of messiah, he just worked well in an era where Wenger worked miracles identifying players. Other clubs have guys who also work so he's not unique. At the moment we have NOBODY doing his role which is why were in the ****. David Dein also sold the club out to Kronke for personal gain. He's not an Arsenal man, he just did his job. Lets also not forget that Dein didnt sign Henry/Pires/Vieira/Fabregas/Campbell/RVP/Ljungberg, Wenger identifies these players and trained them. Dein was a glorified secretary.

Also David Dein's son as has been said is a snake who made his career out of his dad's connections as an agent helping people like RVP/Cesc leave. He's since been banned from the clubs premises AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    David Dein is 69 years old age. We need to change our structure but bringing back someone from a different era because he worked makes as much sense as bringing back George Graham as manager. How good was our transfer policy from 2004-2007? I seem to remember selling Henry, Vieira, Cole Hleb, Reyes in that era with no big signings coming in either. The guy wasnt some kind of messiah, he just worked. Other clubs have guys who also work so he's not unique. At the moment we have NOBODY doing his role which is why were in the ****. David Dein also sold the club out to Kronke for personal gain. He's not an Arsenal man, he just did his job.

Also David Dein's son as has been said is a snake who made his career out of his dad's connections as an agent helping people like RVP/Cesc leave. He's since been banned from the clubs premises AFAIK.
    Thank you. It is basic logical thinking believing that David Dein is the answer to all this. Good point about the transfer policy from 04-07. Lets not forget that Dein is a sky whore and wanted us to move to Wembley, basically wants us to be another Citeh or Chelski.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the intricacies of Arsenal and the appointment of someone like Dein, but but I do think the way the club is run is kind of mucked up and Wenger really is doing the wrong job. The manager shouldn't be the one pushing the budgeting, he should be concerned with strengthening the team, pushing all the time to get the best squad he can. He's in charge of footballing matters not, the team, the staff, the training, the scouting, and the bloody accounts. Even SAF, possibly the most dominant figure at any major club didn't get involved on a level Wenger does, and most United fan always thought we were worse off after Queiroz left. Managers need to be able to delegate tasks, reportedly that was one of the reasons Pep prefered Bayern to a Barca return, everything there is outsourced so the manager doesn't need to deal with everything personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Thank you. It is basic logical thinking believing that David Dein is the answer to all this. Good point about the transfer policy from 04-07. Lets not forget that Dein is a sky whore and wanted us to move to Wembley, basically wants us to be another Citeh or Chelski.
    Yeah lots of unkind words been said about him, he left for a reason. Wembly...

Its not rocket science anyway is it?

AFC: ''We want Higuain/Bender/Mata''
    Other club:''OK, this is the price''
    AFC:'''OK no problem, well fax the contract through immediately cheers''

Wenger brought in so many class players by his own skill, the problem is that he just needs someone to pull the trigger on his own hard work in scouting etc. Anyone of reasonable competence and balls can do that.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody just see what Wenger said on SSN??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I don't know the intricacies of Arsenal and the appointment of someone like Dein, but but I do think the way the club is run is kind of mucked up and Wenger really is doing the wrong job. The manager shouldn't be the one pushing the budgeting, he should be concerned with strengthening the team, pushing all the time to get the best squad he can. He's in charge of footballing matters not, the team, the staff, the training, the scouting, and the bloody accounts. Even SAF, possibly the most dominant figure at any major club didn't get involved on a level Wenger does, and most United fan always thought we were worse off after Queiroz left. Managers need to be able to delegate tasks, reportedly that was one of the reasons Pep prefered Bayern to a Barca return, everything there is outsourced so the manager doesn't need to deal with everything personally.
    Spot on. With an absentee owner and Wenger being here so long he has willingly or unwillingly gradually taken on the roles of about 5 people. As people like Dein and board members have left hes pretty much said ''No problem, Ill also do that job''. Wenger literally had to budget for the new stadium and meet with City bankers to sort financing out. How many managers have to do that? He also takes a direct role in the Emirates groundmen and in organising training for the youth teams at times and looks at their contracts etc. Its just too much.

Wenger is a world class trainer and if he can just be freed to do what he does best, things would be so different. Problem is I think AW actually enjoys being CEO of AFC more than coach these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Yep agree that's why a DoF is a must when Wenger leaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Did anybody just see what Wenger said on SSN??
    Nope, what was it? Not more gibberish about trying. I rather he say we're not buying anyone, it's that boring hearing the same old from him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ox out for 6 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Ox out for 6 weeks
    So 3 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Spot on. With an absentee owner and Wenger being here so long he has willingly or unwillingly gradually taken on the roles of about 5 people. As people like Dein and board members have left hes pretty much said ''No problem, Ill also do that job''. Wenger literally had to budget for the new stadium and meet with City bankers to sort financing out. How many managers have to do that? He also takes a direct role in the Emirates groundmen and in organising training for the youth teams at times and looks at their contracts etc. Its just too much.

Wenger is a world class trainer and if he can just be freed to do what he does best, things would be so different. Problem is I think AW actually enjoys being CEO of AFC more than coach these days.
    It's why he has the highest salary at arsenal too I feel

ReputationRep:
    All I know is, when Wenger does leave, he should go upstairs.

ReputationRep:
    Pray to god that Tony Adams doesn't become our next manager.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.