The Ultimate England Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
hello101010
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
8 places are guaranteed - the back 5, the front 2 and Gerrard. The other positions are out of Henderson, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere, Ox
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_wizard123)
This is why he should't be a number 9
or maybe why he shouldn't be playing at all? We have better attacking mid's.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope Rooney has an amazing WC so we can sell him to PSG lol.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Predictable squad. It pretty much picked itself.
The Assassin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there any worry with regards to Johnson? He does do better with England than Liverpool but if he does some of the same shenanigans he does at the club well then...
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Assassin)
Is there any worry with regards to Johnson? He does do better with England than Liverpool but if he does some of the same shenanigans he does at the club well then...
With Liverpool, the full backs can go berserk with darting runs - probably one of the reasons why the midfielders get so much time on the ball.

But with England, there are more sort of 'leaders' on the field which can communicate clearly to Johnson on what to do, so hopefully his defensive duties won't be so laxed. I dont think he will be as strong going forward, but will be a lot better defensively.
Pete_91
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

my team based on the selected 23.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Why is England so obssessed with:

1) Only ever having 4 strikers in their squad.
The only other striker worth taking is injured.

(Original post by Mackay)
Predictable squad. It pretty much picked itself.
This. If Walker, Walcott, Rodriguez and Townsend were fit there would actually have been some debate. Instead the 30 man squad picks its self and contains players who really shouldn't be there e.g Carrick and Cleverley.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
With Liverpool, the full backs can go berserk with darting runs - probably one of the reasons why the midfielders get so much time on the ball.

But with England, there are more sort of 'leaders' on the field which can communicate clearly to Johnson on what to do, so hopefully his defensive duties won't be so laxed. I dont think he will be as strong going forward, but will be a lot better defensively.
Agreed, at Liverpool fullbacks are given the go ahead to go wild and so Johnson is usually very far up leaving acres of space behind him and then does not track back to defend. At England, most likely he will not be able to venture forward as much but I'm still a bit nervous.
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
or maybe why he shouldn't be playing at all? We have better attacking mid's.
Second striker is a little different to attacking midfielder. If we lose Rooney we lose so much creativity and goal threat. First name on the team sheet. I was just implying that he shouldn't be leading the line as he has a tendency to drop deep, leaving nobody forward. But now we have a decent striker in Sturridge, this isn't an issue.
Yawn-er
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney
Sterling - AOC - Sturridge
Gerrard - Henderson
Baines - Jagielka - Cahill - Johnson
Hart

Henderson's a must in CM, and I rate the Ox highly.

Alternate the Ox/Rooney/Sturridge...
cBay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is what I like to call 'The wonky 4-3-3'

(Original post by little_wizard123)
Second striker is a little different to attacking midfielder. If we lose Rooney we lose so much creativity and goal threat. First name on the team sheet. I was just implying that he shouldn't be leading the line as he has a tendency to drop deep, leaving nobody forward. But now we have a decent striker in Sturridge, this isn't an issue.
well in my opinion we should be going for a 4-3-3 (see above), so for Rooney to play, that means dropping Sturridge (tbh he's not on the best of form atm, so I'm not against that). I don't think Rooney and Sturridge are suited to play together in a 4-4-2 or even in a 4-3-3 with one on the wing. I think our best bet is going for fast-paced counter-attacking football, with box-to-box midfielders who can also be creative (Hendo & Lallana), and a pacey front 3 who can be lethal. I do think Rooney is capable of playing that way as the main striker, but that means taking out Sturridge (ox/sterling/lallana are better than him on the wing)
cBay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right-back is definitely a weak point. Tbf, I have slated Johnson a lot this season, but he tends to do pretty well in the first half of games. I think the problem is his fitness levels. They way we get our full-backs forward, they really need to be extremely fit. I think maybe Hodgson will tell him to be more conservative, so it could be alright. Then again playing twice a week in Brazilian weather could take its toll on him. Southampton are my 2nd team so I watch them most weeks, and I definitely would have preferred Clyne.
hello101010
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
This is what I like to call 'The wonky 4-3-3'

well in my opinion we should be going for a 4-3-3 (see above), so for Rooney to play, that means dropping Sturridge (tbh he's not on the best of form atm, so I'm not against that). I don't think Rooney and Sturridge are suited to play together in a 4-4-2 or even in a 4-3-3 with one on the wing. I think our best bet is going for fast-paced counter-attacking football, with box-to-box midfielders who can also be creative (Hendo & Lallana), and a pacey front 3 who can be lethal. I do think Rooney is capable of playing that way as the main striker, but that means taking out Sturridge (ox/sterling/lallana are better than him on the wing)
I don't agree with it, but there's no way Rooney is being dropped
cBay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hello101010)
I don't agree with it, but there's no way Rooney is being dropped
Then Sturridge should be dropped. There's no way in my mind that we should be playing both.
The Assassin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Right-back is definitely a weak point. Tbf, I have slated Johnson a lot this season, but he tends to do pretty well in the first half of games. I think the problem is his fitness levels. They way we get our full-backs forward, they really need to be extremely fit. I think maybe Hodgson will tell him to be more conservative, so it could be alright. Then again playing twice a week in Brazilian weather could take its toll on him. Southampton are my 2nd team so I watch them most weeks, and I definitely would have preferred Clyne.
yeah makes sense.

you don't rate Chambers higher? Know a few that do and I don't think he's a nailed on starter for his club?
cBay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah makes sense.

you don't rate Chambers higher? Know a few that do and I don't think he's a nailed on starter for his club?
Chambers has more potential, but Clyne is better at the moment imo. As far as I was aware, Chambers was mostly only playing when Clyne was injured. Might be wrong there though.
little_tom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If Luke Shaw was so ****ing brilliant, and if Hodgson really was so gung-ho on youth, why didn't he give Shaw his full debut earlier during the qualification phases or during friendlies? He obviously didn't trust him enough during qualification, and now, for some unknown reason, he wants to drop England's most consistent player for the past 3 tournaments for him.

I'm all for giving youth the opportunity, but this isn't going to work. You are bringing in youth not through a set-up but through putting them in the first team which is foreign to them. He has disrupted the back four in a tournament where we will have our backs to the wall in most games and preserved the untouchable midfield partnership of Lampard and Gerrard that hasn't worked for over a decade. The man is clueless, and I can't wait til we get knocked out of the group stages so he can get the sack.

I was reading the Evening Standard on my way back home on the tube and Patrick Barclay was writing how Luke Shaw is a hybrid between Roberto Carlos when going forward and Maldini when defending. The way the media are feeding into this as if its a masterstroke is a disgrace.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_tom)
If Luke Shaw was so ****ing brilliant, and if Hodgson really was so gung-ho on youth, why didn't he give Shaw his full debut earlier during the qualification phases or during friendlies? He obviously didn't trust him enough during qualification, and now, for some unknown reason, he wants to drop England's most consistent player for the past 3 tournaments for him.

I'm all for giving youth the opportunity, but this isn't going to work. You are bringing in youth not through a set-up but through putting them in the first team which is foreign to them. He has disrupted the back four in a tournament where we will have our backs to the wall in most games and preserved the untouchable midfield partnership of Lampard and Gerrard that hasn't worked for over a decade. The man is clueless, and I can't wait til we get knocked out of the group stages so he can get the sack.

I was reading the Evening Standard on my way back home on the tube and Patrick Barclay was writing how Luke Shaw is a hybrid between Roberto Carlos when going forward and Maldini when defending. The way the media are feeding into this as if its a masterstroke is a disgrace.
An absolute nonsense, no wonder the young English players fall to bits when that's the sort of journalism they are subjected to. English players are either the best in the world or the worst player ever, they are never allowed to just be a decent player like the majority of teams have.

For example, Kheidra is a pretty good player but it's his fancy foreign name and fancy foreign locks that makes people overrate him as he is no better than the likes of Henderson etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hello101010)
8 places are guaranteed - the back 5, the front 2 and Gerrard. The other positions are out of Henderson, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere, Ox
Yea I was thinking that. Be interesting to see what formation Hodgson decides to play. I think most expect him to play 4-2-3-1

So that's just deciding Gerrard's partner and the two wingers really..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed