Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Read a bogus article about Tom Brady's weapons supposedly not being bogus and that it's even wih manning and Rodgers :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I literally cannot believe that Tampa are 1-4. If glennon had played the first two games against Carolina and the rams that's 2-0. Falcons loss was embarrassing so we notch that on as 2-1 but the Pitt win would make us 3-1 and then some horrible calls by the refs yesterday could have easily gone our way to make us 4-1.

Ah well, time to give glennon the game time he deserves and develop him into our starting qb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Harvin had 3 called back didn't he? :lol:
    It was ridiculous. I haven't seen anything that bad since... well, the Pats game the night before

but even the refs couldn't help The Bengals avoid getting a beat down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name;5081106 1)
    Oh, Russell Wilson. What an amazing game from him.

I really hope he stays in the league for the next 15 years. He's such a good guy, it would be great to have him as a major star in the NFL.

This was insane

ReputationRep:
    I am mediumly into American football and looking to learn more to help enjoy games further. People often talk about reading the defence etc. Any good youtube videos to transition from noob to less of a noob.

I know the basic principles, you get four downs to get ten yards etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I am mediumly into American football and looking to learn more to help enjoy games further. People often talk about reading the defence etc. Any good youtube videos to transition from noob to less of a noob.

I know the basic principles, you get four downs to get ten yards etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello. I don't know how much of this will be relevant to you, but attached is a guide I have created. It is a text document that is more aimed at the beginner (football 101) but I have added a few more things, such as coverages and formations.

Last year, when I played for the Plymouth Blitz, we used a 4-4 defense, but we used an awful lot of cover 1 and cover 3. Absolute doddle for a corner, because you were either man-to-man to the receiver, or dropped back to the deep zone. Alas, it is not so simple with the 4-3 the team have apparently moved to for this year. (On that note, #BlitzPride...from Pocatello, ID )

EDIT: yes, the image shows a 4-3 defense with the SS moving into the Curl Flat, but the concepts are similar for the 4-4 defense...with the sam backer replacing the SS in the image, and the jack (we called it rover just to be difficult) linebacker, replacing the S in the image, covering the Hook-Curl zone.

In terms of coverages, http://codeandfootball.wordpress.com...r-4-in-images/ really does a good job.

Also this youtube video was really good for me as a rookie last year, and also is applicable for all levels of Football really.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt football101.txt (32.9 KB, 34 views)

ReputationRep:
    Never one to celebrate players getting injured but...

Bernard Pollard to IR with a torn achilles. I can safely say thank ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Never one to celebrate players getting injured but...

Bernard Pollard to IR with a torn achilles. I can safely say thank ****.
    Well...after all the injuries he caused to Patriots players, tbf, I can't say I blame you....

ReputationRep:
    Anyone reckon this could become the second most watched sport in England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Anyone reckon this could become the second most watched sport in England?
    What does it have to beat? Tennis, Cricket, Rugby Union and Rugby League? Maybe Darts and Snooker? I think it has a long way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Goddammit.

Of all the TNF games...I didn't expect Colts @ Texans to turn into a blowout. Texans three and out leads to a Colts' Field Goal; then the Colts attempt the onside kick, and because everyone is down field, the kicker recovers it....and Luck promptly throws a bomb to TY Hilton, and Richardson punches it in. Then, with a normal kick, the Texans go three-and-out and the Colts score another TD. 17-0 at the moment with 6:30 in the first quarter remaining.

Oh and TY Hilton only just has the 103 yards receiving with less than half of the first quarter gone.

At this rate...with TNF, a blowout is inevitable, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Well...after all the injuries he caused to Patriots players, tbf, I can't say I blame you....
    What goes around comes around haha, he's about the only player I would celebrate getting hurt

TNF Has been poor this season, lots of blowouts.

ReputationRep:
    JJ Watt is just too good. I think the Texans are going to come back into this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    JJ Watt is just too good. I think the Texans are going to come back into this.
    We do indeed have a ball game!!

In my IDP league, I'm glad I faced him last week. Phew...he has 20.70 points now, with that sack, forced fumble and recovery for a TD. Scary to think he could've had an INT, instead of a pass defensed to go with that as well.

So happy to have Arian Foster and Bradshaw together in two of my three fantasy teams, racking up the points.

If Luck is going to continue to throw though, may I politely ask for him to get Reggie Wayne involved a little more? It would be appreciated....thanks...

ReputationRep:
    We do indeed have a ball game!!

In my IDP league, I'm glad I faced him last week. Phew...he has 20.70 points now, with that sack, forced fumble and recovery for a TD. Scary to think he could've had an INT, instead of a pass defensed to go with that as well.

So happy to have Arian Foster and Bradshaw together in two of my three fantasy teams, racking up the points.

If Luck is going to continue to throw though, may I politely ask for him to get Reggie Wayne involved a little more? It would be appreciated....thanks...
    That has been a very useful tandem for you. I was wanting more running too with me playing against Andrew Luck in the TSR League this week. I was getting a bit worried at half time. If TY Hilton's TD which wasn't a TD had stood up then he's have scored like 30 points. I am not about that kind of scoring.

I've got a selection headache with Cutler or Stafford at QB and Mike Wallace, Golden Tate or Antone Smith at Flex. The rest of the team pick themselves. I can't in good conscience drop DeMarco Murray despite the horrible matchup at the Clink. In Jordy Nelson and Demarius Thomas I think I have the best WR tandem in the league. Matt Forte is hitting top gear right now and the Falcons have been poor against the run.

That game also made me realise that I suck at supporting a team. I might know the Jags rather well but I just love good competitive football above any one team. I think I'm more willing to buy into players than teams. The team being 0-5 probably doesn't help mind you, I think the Jags are finding win @ Charlie Whitehurst's Titans this week. I've now said this more than once though. 1 of my bold predictions is looking good, the Jags and their sack total makes them #3 in the league for sacks. The Cowboys being the worst team in the league looks like a very very bad call right now though but I still like the Bengals making the Superbowl.

ReputationRep:
    That has been a very useful tandem for you. I was wanting more running too with me playing against Andrew Luck in the TSR League this week. I was getting a bit worried at half time. If TY Hilton's TD which wasn't a TD had stood up then he's have scored like 30 points. I am not about that kind of scoring.

I've got a selection headache with Cutler or Stafford at QB and Mike Wallace, Golden Tate or Antone Smith at Flex. The rest of the team pick themselves. I can't in good conscience drop DeMarco Murray despite the horrible matchup at the Clink. In Jordy Nelson and Demarius Thomas I think I have the best WR tandem in the league. Matt Forte is hitting top gear right now and the Falcons have been poor against the run.
    Now, now...my duo of Julio Jones and Brandon Marshall respectfully disagree (now that they are both nearing 100% fitness)

On a more serious note, Ordinarily I would start Stafford, but with Calvin Johnson out, I'd lead more toward Cutler. I'm not too sure whether it's a favorable matchup for Cutler: with it being on the road, his propensity for brain-dead picks and Atlanta having decent cornerbacks, but the production he should get out of his triple-headed receiving monster should at least allow him to get 20+ points.

For your flex, I would start Golden Tate. He's a solid #2 WR in most fantasy leagues (to Terrance Williams, imho) anyway, but with Calvin Johnson out, he's going to be Stafford's go to guy. I think it could be fairly tough for Detroit to get the running game going against Minnesota.

I don't see Antone Smith, or any of the Falcons' running backs doing anything against that monster Detroit run-defense. (I know they have a great overall defense, but Matty Ice *should* exploit the secondary...if he lives long enough to be able to make a thow, of course...and for obvious reasons, I hope Julio Jones puts up a ton of points.)

Mike Wallace has upside, but Green Bay's secondary is just straight up nasty. If Sam Shields doesn't shut Wallace down, Morgan Burnett and Ha-ha Clinton-Dix will. With that secondary...I just can't trust Tannehill, even if it is at home. Think what happened to Chicago: because Cutler kept throwing picks, the ball didn't go to Brandon Marshall. (I will not forget that...I lost because of it...:mad:)

That game also made me realise that I suck at supporting a team. I might know the Jags rather well but I just love good competitive football above any one team. I think I'm more willing to buy into players than teams. The team being 0-5 probably doesn't help mind you, I think the Jags are finding win @ Charlie Whitehurst's Titans this week. I've now said this more than once though. 1 of my bold predictions is looking good, the Jags and their sack total makes them #3 in the league for sacks. The Cowboys being the worst team in the league looks like a very very bad call right now though but I still like the Bengals making the Superbowl.
    The Bengals of Cincinnati are stacked...and on paper is the best team in AFC right now, but the AFC North is a tough division, and the defeat to New England highlighted that football isn't played on paper. "On paper", the Patriots should have been blown out, and there should have been no hope for them...but Bill Belichek is a genius. AJ Green is apparently out with "a bit more than Turf Toe", and it could result in the other Bengals dropping a few games in the time that he recovers.

How 'bout them Cowboys, though? With the Redskins in their division, it was hard to buy into the notion that the Cowboys were the worst team in the division, yet alone the league, for me. I thought that they would go 8-8, force a week-17 aplayoffs-or-bust game again, and lose, yet again...but this season is shaping up for a lot more for them. Start DeMarco Murray with confidence. The matchup isn't good on paper, but football isn't played on paper. If truth be told, and maybe the air is thinner that it should be in Pocatello, I think the Cowboys could sneak something at the Clink. With that dominant O-line, that rushing game should be good, and keep Seattle's secondary honest. Cowboys also have a sneaky good defense, although if Bruce Carter and Rolando McClain are out, it could change. Romo is rounding into his November form already, and is making some pretty good plays...but if the Cowboys can get their running game going, keep the ball out of Romo's hands too much they can do something really special.

Also, it's funny that you bring up Luck. In my IDP league, the person who had JJ Watt went up against the person that had Luck. JJ Watt put up 22.30 points, and Luck put up 24.20 points. (fumble recovery lost him a few points.)

ReputationRep:
    Now, now...my duo of Julio Jones and Brandon Marshall respectfully disagree (now that they are both nearing 100% fitness)

On a more serious note, Ordinarily I would start Stafford, but with Calvin Johnson out, I'd lead more toward Cutler. I'm not too sure whether it's a favorable matchup for Cutler: with it being on the road, his propensity for brain-dead picks and Atlanta having decent cornerbacks, but the production he should get out of his triple-headed receiving monster should at least allow him to get 20+ points.

For your flex, I would start Golden Tate. He's a solid #2 WR in most fantasy leagues (to Terrance Williams, imho) anyway, but with Calvin Johnson out, he's going to be Stafford's go to guy. I think it could be fairly tough for Detroit to get the running game going against Minnesota.

I don't see Antone Smith, or any of the Falcons' running backs doing anything against that monster Detroit run-defense. (I know they have a great overall defense, but Matty Ice *should* exploit the secondary...if he lives long enough to be able to make a thow, of course...and for obvious reasons, I hope Julio Jones puts up a ton of points.)

Mike Wallace has upside, but Green Bay's secondary is just straight up nasty. If Sam Shields doesn't shut Wallace down, Morgan Burnett and Ha-ha Clinton-Dix will. With that secondary...I just can't trust Tannehill, even if it is at home. Think what happened to Chicago: because Cutler kept throwing picks, the ball didn't go to Brandon Marshall. (I will not forget that...I lost because of it...:mad:)

The Bengals of Cincinnati are stacked...and on paper is the best team in AFC right now, but the AFC North is a tough division, and the defeat to New England highlighted that football isn't played on paper. "On paper", the Patriots should have been blown out, and there should have been no hope for them...but Bill Belichek is a genius. AJ Green is apparently out with "a bit more than Turf Toe", and it could result in the other Bengals dropping a few games in the time that he recovers.

How 'bout them Cowboys, though? With the Redskins in their division, it was hard to buy into the notion that the Cowboys were the worst team in the division, yet alone the league, for me. I thought that they would go 8-8, force a week-17 aplayoffs-or-bust game again, and lose, yet again...but this season is shaping up for a lot more for them. Start DeMarco Murray with confidence. The matchup isn't good on paper, but football isn't played on paper. If truth be told, and maybe the air is thinner that it should be in Pocatello, I think the Cowboys could sneak something at the Clink. With that dominant O-line, that rushing game should be good, and keep Seattle's secondary honest. Cowboys also have a sneaky good defense, although if Bruce Carter and Rolando McClain are out, it could change. Romo is rounding into his November form already, and is making some pretty good plays...but if the Cowboys can get their running game going, keep the ball out of Romo's hands too much they can do something really special.

Also, it's funny that you bring up Luck. In my IDP league, the person who had JJ Watt went up against the person that had Luck. JJ Watt put up 22.30 points, and Luck put up 24.20 points. (fumble recovery lost him a few points.)
    We'll call it a draw on WR tandems then!

I'm pleaning toward starting Tate and hoping he plays like a #1 receiver. Not having Megatron as decoy might hurt a little bit but I'm hoping a touchdown or two will come his way especially with Reggie Bush likely to be out, the rushing touchdowns will probably be Joique Bell's and really I'm thinking they aren't going to come unless Detroit are on the 3 yard line, he's not a particularly explosive back and isn't going to be taking them in from the 30. One of the talking heads said that calling Cutler Jeykll and Hyde was becoming an insult to Jekyll and Hyde. I think I'll save that call for game day. Cutler has the better weapons though, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    We'll call it a draw on WR tandems then!

I'm pleaning toward starting Tate and hoping he plays like a #1 receiver. Not having Megatron as decoy might hurt a little bit but I'm hoping a touchdown or two will come his way especially with Reggie Bush likely to be out, the rushing touchdowns will probably be Joique Bell's and really I'm thinking they aren't going to come unless Detroit are on the 3 yard line, he's not a particularly explosive back and isn't going to be taking them in from the 30. One of the talking heads said that calling Cutler Jeykll and Hyde was becoming an insult to Jekyll and Hyde. I think I'll save that call for game day. Cutler has the better weapons though, that's for sure.
    Cutler has better weapons (with Megatron out) and the better matchup, but I have to agree with the talking head...he's too inconsistent. Stafford should still put in a respectible amount of points (at least 15+). If it makes any difference, in my IDP league, our resident Gunslinger, has elected to start Stafford over Cutler.

If truth be told, however, if Dalton was available, I would have been saying to pick him up for one week and drop him, because I'm not fully convinced on either of them.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like to buy my ticket for the November 9th game (Cowboys vs Jags)? It's in the corner of the end zone, level 1, row 16 so pretty close to the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Any Bucs fans on here?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.