Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    I'm going to the Arsenal Stoke game next month and I'm wondering how much time should I leave myself to get from the Emirates back to Victoria coach station? Is there anything interesting near the Emirates as well?
    Trains are a nightmare after the game tbh, unless you leave early. If you leave at 90m then expect to wait 30 minutes at Arsenal tube and 20m at Highbury & Islington. H&L easier for Victoria but a fair walk up Holloway road tbf. Once you're on the train obviously its a 20 minute job.

Have a look at Highbury if you like, the East Stand is still standing and if you wanted to you could blag your way into the garden which now stands where the pitch used to be. Its a residential project now but the 'security gate' only works on the way in and you can just catch it behind a resident, lots do that. Its quite nice to have a look at what the finest stadium in Europe looked like. For a pre/post match pie, go to Piebury corner on Holloway Road. Absolutely outstanding even if pricey. Can recommend some good pubs in the area too. Apart from that you can have a walk down Upper Street, some nice antique shops and trendy cafes etc. Nothing out of the ordinary,

(Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Trie and grab a pie at Piebury corner on the holloway road. Maybe a 15 min walk from the ground and have a butchers at the old girl. You can still see the marble halls and the bust of Chapman
    Beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    Definitely could. And Guaita isn't even as good as Alves so 17m would be a travesty!

Dunno why you would buy another young keeper though surely a slightly older one would be better? For 17m you don't pay a keeper to sit on the bench.
    I dunno, he didn't play for Valencia at the weekend but played quite a few games last season. Let's see, it probably won't even materialise anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I dunno, he didn't play for Valencia at the weekend but played quite a few games last season. Let's see, it probably won't even materialise anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's cause hes not the starter, Diego Alves is haha! :laugh:

You should hope not at least not for £17m!

(Original post by Zürich)
    Trains are a nightmare after the game tbh, unless you leave early. If you leave at 90m then expect to wait 30 minutes at Arsenal tube and 20m at Highbury & Islington. H&L easier for Victoria but a fair walk up Holloway road tbf. Once you're on the train obviously its a 20 minute job.

Have a look at Highbury if you like, the East Stand is still standing and if you wanted to you could blag your way into the garden which now stands where the pitch used to be. Its a residential project now but the 'security gate' only works on the way in and you can just catch it behind a resident, lots do that. Its quite nice to have a look at what the finest stadium in Europe looked like. For a pre/post match pie, go to Piebury corner on Holloway Road. Absolutely outstanding even if pricey. Can recommend some good pubs in the area too. Apart from that you can have a walk down Upper Street, some nice antique shops and trendy cafes etc. Nothing out of the ordinary,

Beat me to it
    ahhh damn sounds like travel will be a nightmare ! :sad:

What are some good pubs for lunch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeknd5000)
    has anyone seen this:

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/88...nsfer-business

Wenger's interview:

He smirked and said, 'we believe in the players we have'. He is surely trolling us fans. He also used the key wrod 'attitude' which we hear time and time again..........jeez.
    I don't think there's anything in that. He just smirked and nodded towards Rosicky who was sitting near him. I think he knows he has to buy, if not because of the anger of the fans then because the team is too thin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Nope, what was it? Not more gibberish about trying. I rather he say we're not buying anyone, it's that boring hearing the same old from him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok. Well let's see if I remember... on transfers he basically said that less than two weeks is a long time to get more players in and he said he doesn't understand the opinions of people. He says that Arsenal get criticised for not buying players and then when we try and make a bid (this is about the Cabaye situation) we get scrutinised, he said it's all contradictory. In the press conference he seemed quite irritated as if to say "Yeah well look, back off, I know what I'm doing". To make things easier I've posted the link for you below. Just scroll down and click on the video that's in the article just above the caption "Wenger defends Cabaye bid" :

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...nsfer-business

ReputationRep:

ahhh damn sounds like travel will be a nightmare ! :sad:

What are some good pubs for lunch?
    For lunch dont bother with the pubs closest to the grounds, be lucky to get a bag of crisps there. If you want a standard pub meal for a fiver then the Quays just a bit up Holloway Road does the job, fair treck though. If you want something a bit tasty then across the road from Highbury And Islington station is a trendy joint called the Hen and Chickens, good food there tbf. Also a place called the Swimmer at the Grafton Arms just off Holloway Road, excellent food there and great selection of beers too. Quike snooty in there though tbh, definitely a non-footie pub that would only begrudgingly serve Arsenal fans.

Personally I'd just have a pie and mash in Piebury corner for 6 quid and have a beer in one of the rough and ready pubs on Blackstock Road.

ReputationRep:
    Chuckle every time I read Piebury corner :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Oh ok. Well let's see if I remember... on transfers he basically said that less than two weeks is a long time to get more players in and he said he doesn't understand the opinions of people. He says that Arsenal get criticised for not buying players and then when we try and make a bid (this is about the Cabaye situation) we get scrutinised, he said it's all contradictory. In the press conference he seemed quite irritated as if to say "Yeah well look, back off, I know what I'm doing". To make things easier I've posted the link for you below. Just scroll down and click on the video that's in the article just above the caption "Wenger defends Cabaye bid" :

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...nsfer-business
    I've seen it now and it reminds me a little of the interview he gave last campaign when our season really was over, I think after the home defeat to Bayern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    17m for Valencia's 2nd choice keeper is absolutely ****ing ridiculous, we'd instantly be making him the 4th most expensive goalkeeper ever. Goalkeepers rarely go for double figure millions and there would be way better alternatives out there for a third of that price even, baring in mind we want someone to aid Szcsznys development, not halt it entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    He says that Arsenal get criticised for not buying players and then when we try and make a bid (this is about the Cabaye situation) we get scrutinised, he said it's all contradictory.
    But it is contradictory.

Wtf. This man truly is confused. Not a Cdm, a winger, cb, or striker, but a Goalkeeper? lord have mercy. I will reserve judgement until the end of the season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    17m for Valencia's 2nd choice keeper is absolutely ****ing ridiculous, we'd instantly be making him the 4th most expensive goalkeeper ever. Goalkeepers rarely go for double figure millions and there would be way better alternatives out there for a third of that price even, baring in mind we want someone to aid Szcsznys development, not halt it entirely.
    Agreed.

It's madness!!!

Wtf is Wenger doing?

He could have tried getting Stekelenburg, Begovic or Handanovic (if he isn't too expensive). Hell, he could have gotten Lloris a while ago before Spurs did.

Wtf is going on at Arsenal?

This is a shambles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    Wtf. This man truly is confused. Not a Cdm, a winger, cb, or striker, but a Goalkeeper? lord have mercy. I will reserve judgement until the end of the season
    I highly doubt he will pay £17m for a keeper whos not even first choice at his team.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans: given our **** situation, who do you want the club to buy at this point?

we desperately need both depth and quality. it's impossible to get top quality at this point but we can still get some quality players who would increase the depth of the squad and some would rival our current players for starting spots. my choices would be:

*Julio Cesar (we have only 2 goalkeepers atm plus Szczesny needs competition to keep him improving)
    *Sakho (we have only 3 center backs now and only 2 of those are healthy)
    *Turan (we need more creativity on the wing since we're playing with a striker whose level of effectiveness is entirely dependent on the quality of service from the wing)
    *Kondogbia (we have 0 defensive midfielders plus Kondogbia can apparently play center back and left back so the versatility is helpful)
    *Gonalons (again we have 0 defensive midfielders so it's not unreasonable to buy 2, especially with how badly exposed the Ramsey-Wilshere partnership looked, plus Gonalons' stock has risen a lot in the past season too)
    *Grenier (CAM might seem like the last position we need to strengthen but our lack of creativity in central attacking midfield was pretty clear last season plus we only really have Cazorla and Rosicky)
    *McManaman (we desperately need depth and he'd be nice to have coming off the bench so what the ****, why not at this point?)

all of those players are realistic. Gonalons and Grenier would be hardest to get but if Lyon get knocked out of the Champions League qualifier by Real Sociedad then i'm sure we could at least get one of them (preferably Gonalons because we need a defensive midfield presence as the holes on Saturday showed). apparently we bid for Pogba two days ago but Marchisio is now injured so they are probably even less likely to sell so that's not an option. i can't really think of anyone else. it's a sad state of affairs that have led to me really wanting the above listed players but that's how things are so.....

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! This is what Arsene has been doing with our money look at his hands: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSJGBxSIAAAD8rl.jpg:large

ReputationRep:
    Your squad is fine.

The main issue is the lack of a DM, and the fact that Spurs have strengthened so much, especially with their pursuits of Willian and Lamela. Even with the loss of Bale, they'll be a better team with all these buys. Almost a better squad than Utd, imo.

Selling Gervinho might have been a little silly though. Decent cover.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt he will pay £17m for a keeper whos not even first choice at his team.
    Yeah. I doubt it.

But seriously though, I can't believe he hasn't signed a top keeper already. He could have gotten Lloris before Spurs did. He could have gotten other good keepers for reasonable prices (e.g. Cesar, Begovic etc).

Yet he has persisted with Szczesny.

It's all a mess at Arsenal, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    LMAO! This is what Arsene has been doing with our money look at his hands: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSJGBxSIAAAD8rl.jpg:large
    Arsene spitting dat game all over dem gurls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Your squad is fine.
    It is not.

The main issue is the lack of a DM,
    The main issue is lack of squad depth. Some of their current first XI players should be on the bench/back-up players.

Arsenal need a top class GK, CB, DM, LW, RW & ST, before they can even dream of challenging for the title.

and the fact that Spurs have strengthened so much, especially with their pursuits of Willian and Lamela. Even with the loss of Bale, they'll be a better team with all these buys. Almost a better squad than Utd, imo.
    In terms of midfield, yes Spurs are probably better than Man Utd.

But in terms of strikers and defenders, Utd rape Spurs.

Selling Gervinho might have been a little silly though. Decent cover.
    He was a very frustrating player. Arsenal should be doing much better than him.

They were right to get rid of him. They were wrong to not replace him with a top class winger.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Even with the loss of Bale, they'll be a better team with all these buys. Almost a better squad than Utd, imo.

Can I have some of whatever you've been smoking?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.