Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What Shakhtar did was truly disgusting. Luis Adriano is a **** and well so are the rest of the club. Hope they get well and truly destroyed in the next round.

(Original post by johnharris19944)
    What Shakhtar did was truly disgusting. Luis Adriano is a **** and well so are the rest of the club. Hope they get well and truly destroyed in the next round.
    Just read about it; very unfortunate for Nordsjaelland. Some of the noises coming out of the Shakhtar camp are a bit odd - "We wanted to let the opponents score, but Stepanenko prevented us from doing so." :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Just read about it; very unfortunate for Nordsjaelland. Some of the noises coming out of the Shakhtar camp are a bit odd - "We wanted to let the opponents score, but Stepanenko prevented us from doing so." :wtf:
    I might be being a bit harsh some of the players did let the player go through but then a couple of the defenders got in the way and cleared it. Nevertheless it was some real poor sportsmanship...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    What Shakhtar did wYeah as truly disgusting. Luis Adriano is a **** and well so are the rest of the club. Hope they get well and truly destroyed in the next round.
    Yeah I agree, they're a disgrace to champions league football. A horrible undeserved sneaky goal. The player is such an overrated ****, and didn't deserve to get his hatrick. Players like this should be dealt with strictly by UEFA Ridiculous decision and goal to a game which turned out to be goal-fester with footballing entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    Good list about good young players, with a report of how they've progressed since being named in a 'Top 100' last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Good list about good young players, with a report of how they've progressed since being named in a 'Top 100' last year.
    Do you agree with Welbeck's grading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Do you agree with Welbeck's grading?
    I'd probably give him a C, tbh. Agree with most of what they said, esp re finishing needs major improvement. I think they've given him a B based mainly on his rise with England.

Beautiful stuff from Maxwell against Montpellier the other week (and a fine move overall). :sogood:

That result, by the way, means PSG drop down to 3rd in the table (while Montpellier stay in 14th). Lyon are three points ahead but have a chance to pull ahead with their game in hand; that game, however, is against Marseille, who are level on points with PSG. And to round off the picture, Bordeaux are in second.

Actually, that doesn't really round off the picture: it's actually very close, with only three points in between Lyon in first and Stade Rennais in seventh. After all the talks of PSG strolling away with the title, I'd say it's to the credit of Ligue 1 to find itself in this position after 12/13 games. :holmes:

EDIT: And while we're on it, what do you guys think is the matter with Montpellier? I would say there have been clear glimpses of their quality in the CL games. I'm thinking it might be a case of the players (whether individually or collectively) not reacting well to their sudden elevation in status and expectations: that would seem to fit in with all the very early/very late goals conceded, and the reported bust-up with a journalist/photographer. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Mano Menezes has reportedly been sacked as Brazil manager. ....

ReputationRep:
    Mano Menezes has reportedly been sacked as Brazil manager. ....
    I saw that on Eurosport earlier, it's a strange decision tbh. He didn't do the best job at the Copa and was unlucky at the Olympics but I would have thought they'd want a settled manager, play style and selection process going into a home WC, rather than hiring a new manager that could completely change everything and see them flop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I saw that on Eurosport earlier, it's a strange decision tbh. He didn't do the best job at the Copa and was unlucky at the Olympics but I would have thought they'd want a settled manager, play style and selection process going into a home WC, rather than hiring a new manager that could completely change everything and see them flop.
    Romario has been campaigning for his sacking for quite a while. There's talk of Scolari getting the job....

Romario has been campaigning for his sacking for quite a while. There's talk of Scolari getting the job....
    Do you think that would work with this Brazil team? Looking back at 2002 the 2002 side, they seemed to be a group of very talented individuals (as opposed to a particularly solid team) as well, and Scorlari seemed to work quite well with that. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    A good performance from Benfica, just some terrible defending for the goal. Many moments when you were on top in that game and completely deserved to win that. Still a toughie to get through but at least there is slight hope of still progressing. I'll be surprised if JJ can pull this one out of the bag though. I agree, Almeida looked good.

Braga were woeful, they couldn't even blame going 3 down on having the 10 men as that happened later on. Not good for Braga at all.

Ha, we should but with Porto it's never so simple. I would still like to finish top so hopufully we don't just sit back. It feels like ages since i last watched Porto though as i didn't watch them last weekend against Nacional and i've not really followed any of the news about them this week. I've missed them a little :cute:.

Good to see Danny starting for Zenit in a few minutes too.
    Good to see Porto get their win as well And Maritimo and Academica got draws in their matches as well so that helps us out a bit (even though they're out of it now).

Sporting have been completely disappointing, and a bit of an embarrassment.

I didn't realise Porto played Braga this weekend! Hopefully Braga can get a point, although knowing the history, Porto will probably have an easy game >_>

Benfica-Olhanense tonight, we should win this..

ReputationRep:
    Felipe Melo, goalkeeping hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Good to see Porto get their win as well And Maritimo and Academica got draws in their matches as well so that helps us out a bit (even though they're out of it now).

Sporting have been completely disappointing, and a bit of an embarrassment.

I didn't realise Porto played Braga this weekend! Hopefully Braga can get a point, although knowing the history, Porto will probably have an easy game >_>

Benfica-Olhanense tonight, we should win this..
    I'm quite looking forward to to our game against PSG now, hopefully we can remain top in the group.

I hate when you play before us as we know we have to win to carry on being on par with you. But yeah, Braga later. Yeah the stats go in our favour but we shall see.

The way Sporting are going they're not even going to make it into the Europe at all next season. An absolutely abysmal season for them and As much as i didn't like Sa Pinto i still think the saking of him was the wrong decision.

The Setubal-Rio Ave looked to be a good match, it ended 5-3 to Rio so their good start to the season continues.

I do love our Colombians! It's difficult not to feel sorry for Braga in that game. Very harsh, but wow.. I think we all saw that heading to finish 0-0 and i was ready to rant about how we weren't great. What an ugly win by us and not for the first time this season but that was a huge win!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch the Bundesliga Highlights Show on ITV4? It's on 10pm every Monday night. Quality of commentary is **** but it's a very enjoyable watch. Great stadia (I'd wager the stadia in the Bundesliga trumps every other country in the world in the grandiose stakes, mostly thanks to the 2006 WC), end-to-end football, some very good players (Germany are very spoilt atm, especially in the GK position) and the players seem to have a very strong bond with the fans (team salutes after every win etc etc). Watching the Bundesliga reminds me of 1990s-early 2000s Serie A in a way, just needs its own James Richardson. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    ^ There's no personality to the show, thankfully the football is generally good. If its popular perhaps the makers will improve the format, I think it needs 90mins to really come together.

Anyone know if its standard practice for German teams that are in the Europa League to have games less than 48 hours later? Bayern's game at the weekend was against an EL side, and you could see they were tired after about 20mins.

In other European news, its very tight in Ligue 1, with the top 9 only seperated by six points. Marseille and PSG are level at the top on 26 points, though the former has a game in hand which is against Lyon, who are 4th on 25 points along with 3rd placed St Etienne. Last season's champions Montpellier already look out of the running, they're 9pts adrift of top.

ReputationRep:
    ^ There's no personality to the show, thankfully the football is generally good. If its popular perhaps the makers will improve the format, I think it needs 90mins to really come together.

Anyone know if its standard practice for German teams that are in the Europa League to have games less than 48 hours later? Bayern's game at the weekend was against an EL side, and you could see they were tired after about 20mins.

In other European news, its very tight in Ligue 1, with the top 9 only seperated by six points. Marseille and PSG are level at the top on 26 points, though the former has a game in hand which is against Lyon, who are 4th on 25 points along with 3rd placed St Etienne. Last season's champions Montpellier already look out of the running, they're 9pts adrift of top.
    Yeah, absolutely no personality whatsoever tbh. Does need more airtime, with more culture immersion (if possible) and not so monotonous commentary. Feels very rushed at the moment.

Raymond Verhakdjew, or whatever his name is, was posting stats about the teams that have less than 72 hours recover time. A lot of them dropped points. It isn't standard practice in Germany, teams with EL Thursday fixtures almost always play on the Sunday. I don't know what happened this weekend.

Anyone else watching Marseille vs Lyon? Big big game for the top end of Ligue 1. Gomis has just put away a penalty two minutes into it to give Lyon the lead.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like they're going to officially announce Scolari as Brazil's manager tomorrow and not wait until January like they said. The Brazilian Football Confederation president has said there will be an announcement at 11am (Brazil time) on Thursday, where they will be discuss the new coach and the future of the Brazil team.

I personally think it will end up like what happened to Lippi when he returned to manage Italy. Not good. His time at Palmeiras was just disastrous and partly to blame for them being relegated.

And whilst I’m on Brazilian talk Ronaldinho has extended his contract to stay an extra year at Atletico MG. There was quite a bit of talked that Fluminense wanted him. I’m not quite sure what Atletico MG have managed to do but in the 6 months he’s been with them he is so much better than over the whole time he was at Fla... The move worked out for him.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.