Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    It's a lot harder to get NHS help for depression at uni due to the fact your not living in the same place long term.

I first got diagnosed when I was in my last year at uni, and the best option was for me to go to the uni councling service as the waiting lists were nothing like NHS waiting lists, and they were used to dealing with students. I then got put on meds aswell because my drs main priority was to just get me through the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This was my answer to someone else hun.
    I've already been diagnosed. My paragraph was too a guy on here who is having a hard time coping with sadness. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmer_)
    This was my answer to someone else hun.
    I've already been diagnosed. My paragraph was too a guy on here who is having a hard time coping with sadness. :nah:
    Yeah I know, but I was just saying drs often refer uni students to the uni councling team as a first port of call
    A) because its cheaper for the NHS
    B) because students move around between home and uni
    C) they may have finished their course by the time they get a CBT option or something through from the NHS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hate when the house is empty like this. Too much space to think.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling so damn lost and scared about what's happening :cry2: I just want time to stop and not move forward!

I would talk to someone but I don't want to burden them or worry people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think he's suggested counselling because he doesn't think it's depression. If it was depression he would have offered other solutions and techniques. I say this because I speak from experience. This could be another form of a mental health problem that you're not aware of yet. I was immediately put on medication and was in hospital so perhaps this is sadness, at an extreme, or something different that you need a little assistance with to get back to your normal self.

:hugs:
    It's a lot harder to get NHS help for depression at uni due to the fact your not living in the same place long term.

I first got diagnosed when I was in my last year at uni, and the best option was for me to go to the uni councling service as the waiting lists were nothing like NHS waiting lists, and they were used to dealing with students. I then got put on meds aswell because my drs main priority was to just get me through the rest of the year.
    Yeah I know, but I was just saying drs often refer uni students to the uni councling team as a first port of call
    A) because its cheaper for the NHS
    B) because students move around between home and uni
    C) they may have finished their course by the time they get a CBT option or something through from the NHS
    Thanks guys :hugs:
    Emailed them, they replied to tell me to register - so I have! Decided on one to one as opposed to email or group - don't think I'd like group/fit in - and one-to-one is presumably more useful than email (?)
    11 day waiting list, which is a pain - but then I'm wouldn't be top priority anyway, I don't think - so just have to wait and hope I get a slot soonish. Although I'm still not sure how it'll help - Though I suppose most people think that to start with? Interesting that they refer to the UCS almost as default (if I understand what you've said ) Glad I'm on the waiting list/have seen him.

Thank you muchly

My day wasn't so great. 2 hours speaking to my physchiatrist to be put on more medication and a possible hospital admission. :cry:
    :console: Sorry to hear that :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Not a good day, so so horrible :cry:

Cried so much today, it's getting harder. Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Not a good day, so so horrible :cry:

Cried so much today, it's getting harder. Is it worth it?
    It's definitely worth it. I used to be depressed and couldn't see any point in living, but this past year my whole life has turned around; the depression lifted, I got married, I'm living with my wife, I'm socializing with people, I got a cat, I'm thinking of getting a job and learning to drive - all things I never saw happening when I was in that black hole. Keep pushing onward and one day I'm sure it will have all been worth it for you too. :console:

Is it anything in particular that happened today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    It's definitely worth it. I used to be depressed and couldn't see any point in living, but this past year my whole life has turned around; the depression lifted, I got married, I'm living with my wife, I'm socializing with people, I got a cat, I'm thinking of getting a job and learning to drive - all things I never saw happening when I was in that black hole. Keep pushing onward and one day I'm sure it will have all been worth it for you too. :console:

Is it anything in particular that happened today?
    Congratulations on your wedding. I'm glad you've found happiness now. I really am.
    But it doesn't happen to everyone. Not everyone gets that lucky in life. :cry:
    I want to know it'll all get better but it's hard when you have so many mental health problems.

Life is such a dark hole.

I went to see a new Psychiatrist today. I used to see a private one up until now but switched for reasons. Anyway- he's noticed and diagnosed me with another mental health problem which I'm not ready to talk about I don't think.
    Also, need new medication on Wednesday. Dreading the start of MORE medication.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling so nervous atm. The class my wife is taking is having a social this evening and the students were told to bring their significant others. I know it's gonna end with me standing in a corner with a pint of cider not talking to anyone, that's usually what happens.

And my psychiatrist increased my medication which always makes me feel like a failure.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your wedding. I'm glad you've found happiness now. I really am.
    But it doesn't happen to everyone. Not everyone gets that lucky in life. :cry:
    I want to know it'll all get better but it's hard when you have so many mental health problems.

Life is such a dark hole.

I went to see a new Psychiatrist today. I used to see a private one up until now but switched for reasons. Anyway- he's noticed and diagnosed me with another mental health problem which I'm not ready to talk about I don't think.
    Also, need new medication on Wednesday. Dreading the start of MORE medication.

:confused:
    Thank you. I wasn't trying to brag, just saying I never thought it would happen to me yet it did and I think if I can get out of that hole other people can too. I realize things are difficult for you right now, but there are so many good things in the world that can happen to you too - you gotta stick around for the good stuff to happen though.

I know new medications are scary but they can, ime, make a hell of a lot of difference to your life. So maybe instead of dreading it, see it as a potential opportunity for things to improve. As for another diagnosis, remember it's just a name, it doesn't change your symptoms in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I wasn't trying to brag, just saying I never thought it would happen to me yet it did and I think if I can get out of that hole other people can too. I realize things are difficult for you right now, but there are so many good things in the world that can happen to you too - you gotta stick around for the good stuff to happen though.

I know new medications are scary but they can, ime, make a hell of a lot of difference to your life. So maybe instead of dreading it, see it as a potential opportunity for things to improve. As for another diagnosis, remember it's just a name, it doesn't change your symptoms in the end.
    Oh nooo I didn't think you were bragging! Yeah it's because everyone's different and there's stronger people than me out there. It's been difficult for 6 years. It doesn't seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel for me. But I haven't given up yet.

I've been on so much medication so new medication doesn't make it better for me in terms of thinking.. "will I get better?". It changes who I am though. A dozen mental health problems has changed me as a person completely. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling so nervous atm. The class my wife is taking is having a social this evening and the students were told to bring their significant others. I know it's gonna end with me standing in a corner with a pint of cider not talking to anyone, that's usually what happens.

And my psychiatrist increased my medication which always makes me feel like a failure.
    :hugs: you're not a failure. You are the opposite because you are strong enough to admit that things aren't perfect and that you need to do something about it. One thing my psychologist told me is, you might FEEL like x, y z, but that doesn't mean you ARE x, y, z. I don't know if that made any sense… he explained in to me in such a way that it just kind of clicked but I can't get the words out like he did :/

ReputationRep:
    Just have to keep thinking "2 weeks then I'll be in a safe flat with my boyfriend and we can get on with OUR life"
    But it seems so hard every so often

We can make 2 weeks though right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh nooo I didn't think you were bragging! Yeah it's because everyone's different and there's stronger people than me out there. It's been difficult for 6 years. It doesn't seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel for me. But I haven't given up yet.

I've been on so much medication so new medication doesn't make it better for me in terms of thinking.. "will I get better?". It changes who I am though. A dozen mental health problems has changed me as a person completely. :cry:
    I first started seeing a doctor about my mental health 7 years ago so I can definitely sympathize with how long it's been for you. It's good you haven't given up. It takes a hell of a lot of strength to keep going but remember light doesn't travel round corners so if you can't see it at the end of the tunnel that just means the road has a few turns in it.

(Original post by HairyCanary)
    :hugs: you're not a failure. You are the opposite because you are strong enough to admit that things aren't perfect and that you need to do something about it. One thing my psychologist told me is, you might FEEL like x, y z, but that doesn't mean you ARE x, y, z. I don't know if that made any sense… he explained in to me in such a way that it just kind of clicked but I can't get the words out like he did :/
    Thank you. What you said does make sense, my psychologist says it a lot, our thoughts are often distorted not reality. It's just I googled and the dose I'm on now is higher than the recommended which makes me feel different even among other people on the same medication.

ReputationRep:
    Just have to keep thinking "2 weeks then I'll be in a safe flat with my boyfriend and we can get on with OUR life"
    But it seems so hard every so often

We can make 2 weeks though right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    HELL YEAH you can!

Focus on how good it's going to be when you guys have your own place and let those good thoughts get you through. You can do it.

ReputationRep:
    I first started seeing a doctor about my mental health 7 years ago so I can definitely sympathize with how long it's been for you. It's good you haven't given up. It takes a hell of a lot of strength to keep going but remember light doesn't travel round corners so if you can't see it at the end of the tunnel that just means the road has a few turns in it.
    I guess you can understand then which is good. :smile:
    I have tried many times to give up, I get closer every time which scares me but makes me realise that if I want to end it then I'm getting closer everytime. Well that's always a good way too look at things. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. What you said does make sense, my psychologist says it a lot, our thoughts are often distorted not reality. It's just I googled and the dose I'm on now is higher than the recommended which makes me feel different even among other people on the same medication.
    gonna play the devils advocate here, to get you to think
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Rory is on the very highest dose of his meds hes on right now, and its actually suposidly dangerous to be on such a high dose, BUT you wouldn't say he was a failure for being on such a high dose would you. so there for YOUR not a failure! :yep:

HELL YEAH you can!

Focus on how good it's going to be when you guys have your own place and let those good thoughts get you through. You can do it.
    i know, just gotta keep thinking that, woke rory up last night and i just burst out crying, things are getting really tough for me atm, and i just need this break weve been given!

ReputationRep:

Try not to google things, googling stuff tends to make you feel worse. Well that's how it is for me anyway, because then I always pick the worst outcome. A little google is a dangerous thing
    Also, don't forget that everyone's bodies are different. Person X's body might not metabolise/absorb/whateverelsebodiesdo tablet 1 very well so has to have a higher dose where as person Y can't take that tablet at all because it gives them horrific side effects. Then there is person Z who has the most severe symptoms yet is on the lowest dose and is getting along fine.
    Sorry I am rambling. Basically, don't let the numbers on the packet get you down, they are meaningless. Our bodies are physically and mentally so complex that you can't really compare two different people's dosages.
    Also it's a recommended dose, i.e. recommended for the average person. Joe Bloggs. Who you aren't
    You're doing really well even though it might not feel like it, don't forget that.

ReputationRep:
    Made it not even through a whole lecture (although I would have had a hard time listening anyway) and then just went home, because I forgot work and had to do some things at home, especially as I fall straight into bed yesterday after three morning shifts this week.

Macaroni and cheese here I come!!! (Sports are excellant to get refreshed and hungry.)

ReputationRep:
    It's just I googled and the dose I'm on now is higher than the recommended which makes me feel different even among other people on the same medication.
    The only right thing to google would be the standard deviation and various background papers. In addition we are talking about medication for mental illnesses, which vary much more than the ones for physical illnesses.(Although this might only seem so.)
    => You have no evidence for your claim, I would say. =>

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.