This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
I could say:

"20 years ago i argued with the PM on a forum about flags, the Queen and beavers."
Don't forget dissolution of the British republic
But I might go into academia if I don't become PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I want to go into Particle Physics, or possibly Cosmology, but I've also considered engineering. If I mess up physics this year I'd probably drop it and end up doing a Politics degree and see where that takes me

Posted from TSR Mobile
The LHC is starting up again soon and iirc they do some Summer 'internships' where you can go over for the summer and work for a few months: i'm not sure of ages or experience required but it might interest you.

Astrophysics was always a passion of mine.., If you ever have spare time i'd recommend going to the edX website, they have some good physics/maths courses on there. There is one from MIT starting soon called Quantum Mechanics and it is the same course that they do on campus.

I'm still going to try and get into the Nuclear Fusion field, i live relatively close to JET and MAST so i'll try and apply for it some day.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Don't forget dissolution of the British republic
But I might go into academia if I don't become PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be quite happy to dissolve the British republic and reinstate the monarchy .

Any particular area of academia you are interested in more than others?
Kittiara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I could say:

"20 years ago i argued with the PM on a forum about flags, the Queen and beavers."

You'll be happy to know that the beavers do indeed have a more secure future - they'll be monitored for the next five years instead of being removed.
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
Is anybody here thinking of going into Politics at any sort of level as a career?
Yes in France. I'll give Sarkozy a run for his money... That hyperactive arse has nothing on me
(Original post by Aph)
I want to be PM
I hope not.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've thought about entering politics, and had an opportunity to do so, but I'd be terrible at it. As shown in my Unsolicited Communications Act, I don't like being pestered, so I wouldn't like pestering other people whilst campaigning (though the Act does not actually prohibit political campaigning). Plus, I'd want to help everyone. All the time. And that, unfortunately, is just not possible.

I'll stick to political comment, and would like to go into academia.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Plus, I'd want to help everyone. All the time. And that, unfortunately, is just not possible. […] I'll stick to political comment, and would like to go into academia.
Because that'll let you help everyone all the time… :rolleyes: :awesome:
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Because that'll let you help everyone all the time… :rolleyes:
Well, considering philosophy is my best subject, you never know. I might discover the meaning of life.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, considering philosophy is my best subject, you never know. I might discover the meaning of life.
Dearie me, you'll most probably achieve nothing and burn out by 40.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd like to be a Councillor at some point. When i'm in a comfortable career position in my primary industry then i'd like to do Council work on the side.

What would you two go into apart from Politics?

I'll be applying for positions in transport, energy and the civil service this summer. Nothing specific though as I simply seek a salary more than anything so I can start investing and achieve my goals and be happy.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Dearie me, you'll most probably achieve nothing and burn out by 40.
Perhaps, perhaps not.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's your opinion on enlightment? As I've gotten older I've come to picture the much older me as sitting in my personal library while meditating and per suing enlightenment.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I'll be applying for positions in transport, energy and the civil service this summer. Nothing specific though as I simply seek a salary more than anything so I can start investing and achieve my goals and be happy.
Why don't you write to an MP and ask to shadow them? I'm planning on writing to Ken Clarke, Charles Kennedy and David Laws
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Why don't you write to an MP and ask to shadow them? I'm planning on writing to Ken Clarke, Charles Kennedy and David Laws
I'm going to write to Cameron and Boris
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
I'm going to write to Cameron and Boris
They won't give you any, they're too busy!
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
What's your opinion on enlightment? As I've gotten older I've come to picture the much older me as sitting in my personal library while meditating and per suing enlightenment.
Difficult to achieve, in my opinion. We are influenced by so many outside forces, and we can internalise them without even realising it. That is, perhaps, especially the case in modern Western Society. From our youngest age, we are not only influenced by our parents, our friends, our teachers, our education and society in general, there's also the media, what we are shown, what we are not shown, and the narrative that is set. So, how do you know which thoughts are really yours, and how independent your thinking really is? Even Descartes, when trying to determine what is real and what isn't almost immediately concluded that God does indeed exist, likely as a symptom of the age, when that was pretty much a given.
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
They won't give you any, they're too busy!
Boris will, he must!!! Also I already met him on the tube... He wasn't happy :lol:
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd be quite happy to dissolve the British republic and reinstate the monarchy .

Any particular area of academia you are interested in more than others?
Or see it absorbed into a federal Europe...

maths probably.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't think I'll ever run for parliament - I'm from one of the bluest Tory strongholds in the country and I disagree with parachuting people into safe seats. It's the civil service for me!

Did anyone see PMQs today? One of the most one-sided of the parliament, massive lift for Miliband.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is anybody here thinking of going into Politics at any sort of level as a career?
Absolutely, if the opportunity ever comes up.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (172)
18.59%
No (560)
60.54%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.86%

Watched Threads