Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    ffs Luke would turn up to a knife fight with printed pages of stats on fatalities in knife incidents, and somehow walk away wondering why he got stabbed
    Nah pal, I'd be the guy who wins the melee without even throwing a punch because I'd analysed the optimal strategies in such bouts.

Can challenge me in Leeds if you like pal x

ReputationRep:
    ffs Luke would turn up to a knife fight with printed pages of stats on fatalities in knife incidents, and somehow walk away wondering why he got stabbed
    He looks like a squealer. Boy would get abused.

ReputationRep:
    We're Wolfsburg in disguise! We're Wolfsburg in disguise! Big fancy stadium! We're just Wolfsburg in disguiseeee!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Ozil , koscielny, mertesacker, giroud vs sakho and sturridge

Joke man
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    1) Ozil is quality (on his day)
    2) Sakho gets in to the France team ahead of Koscienly
    3) Mertesacker lol
    4) Sturridge is better than any striker you have

Joke man
    If you're going to get into hypotheticals, don't forget Milli was supposed to play instead of Moreno, which would have been the biggest improvement on any of the above suggested swaps.

(Original post by drandy76)
    Yeah but often misplaced passes occurred due to lack of options from supporting errors, obviously they made mistakes, but other players were negligent in their roles leading up to the goals but the CBs mistakes-like keepers- are the most obvious ones

Although I also thought the CBs were decent, two wrongs don't make a right. Options not being available is not an excuse for a misplaced pass at the centre back position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Liverpool have too fast transitions for that, best way to organise your team into positions is to slowly build so everyone can orient themselves, it's what Pep had Bayern/Barca do a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem with this is of course, that it allows the defence to orient themselves as well. You cannot knock that it better than giving a straight chance away to the opposition.

The best thing about Arsenal v Liverpool games is that they are enjoyable to watch because neither choose to take the defensive option.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Arsenal Fan TV videos are up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Nah, Sakho is better mate just accept.
    Mertesacker is okay but nothing more.

Jesus Christ, the guy was dropped for Gabriel last season...

It doesn't matter anyway - we both had major players out but that happens all the time. On the day we were simply better and perhaps you should look at your own team's issues on the field instead of crying about how you would've won with a full strength side.
    No chance.

Yeah I've looked at our team issues and that's having a make shift defence consisting of Holding and Chambers. One of them being a 20 year old we've only just signed.

You know it deep down that if both teams had a full strength side we'd easily take the 3 points. It was quite obvious when we subbed on Xhaka and Cazorla and immediately started playing better. Wenger was completely wrong to start Elneny and Coquelin together.

(Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Is that supposed to be Welsh?
    New phone autocorrect hasn't adjusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    No chance.

Yeah I've looked at our team issues and that's having a make shift defence consisting of Holding and Chambers. One of them being a 20 year old we've only just signed.

You know it deep down that if both teams had a full strength side we'd easily take the 3 points. It was quite obvious when we subbed on Xhaka and Cazorla and immediately started playing better. Wenger was completely wrong to start Elneny and Coquelin together.

New phone autocorrect hasn't adjusted.
    What evidence do you have that Koscielny is a better defender? I'm going with the fact that the latter hasn't been able to get ahead of Sakho for their National team.

Well we have Moreno in defence and this was Klavan's PL debut so don't even go down that route.

Meh, you have a better side in general but since when is that a guarantee of victory? Your point about subs comes down to manager quality/tactics which is a big part of the game anyway.
    You're full of "what ifs" and there's no point thinking like that because we have no idea what would've happened in the hypothetical scenarios you're spouting.

All we know that happened is Liverpool won the game. Take it like a man and move on to the next game...

ReputationRep:
    AR is melting down hard. Stop making so many excuses :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal played Liverpool with a defence that was bottom half of the PL at best.

Wenger was just dumb to not actually attack Liverpool from the offset. Liverpool are still **** and Xhaka should have just started with Cazorla. I think Arsenal really just need to buy a winger because Iwobi needs time to develop, Chamberlain still has terrible awareness despite his goal and well if Sanchez is a viable option up top then that means a creative winger is needed on the wing.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool have too fast transitions for that, best way to organise your team into positions is to slowly build so everyone can orient themselves, it's what Pep had Bayern/Barca do a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pep had them do that but well Pep always got outdone by counter oriented teams at Bayern. If you can find a way to prevent the team from getting out in transition then it's fine(pressing from the front) but you are always going to be undone by a counter press, a team like Leicester in particular would make you mince meat.

I'd say fight fire with fire and if in the lead slow the play down and tire them out when they carry on pressing, counter when they over commit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Arsenal played Liverpool with a defence that was bottom half of the PL at best.

Wenger was just dumb to not actually attack Liverpool from the offset. Liverpool are still **** and Xhaka should have just started with Cazorla. I think Arsenal really just need to buy a winger because Iwobi needs time to develop, Chamberlain still has terrible awareness despite his goal and well if Sanchez is a viable option up top then that means a creative winger is needed on the wing.
    They pressed us well in the first half but I think they were a bit disheartened because they only had a single goal to show for it and still went in to the break at 1-1.

They got a little too nervous and when we turned it on, we absolutely tore them to pieces. On our game, attacking wide we're among the best in the league, however our defence still has huge issues and Arsenal didn't take advantage of that until they were already 4-1 down.

They exploited Moreno really well in the first half, but never really bothered for the rest of the game. With Mignolet in goal, a new CB pairing and Moreno at LB, we're extremely vulnerable and Arsenal only found joy when they went all out attack.

However due to their bottling status, it was all for naught.
    With Sturridge still to come back in, Liverpool's attack looks very promising, but we really need to sort a LB out and fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Arsenal Fan TV videos are up

That is absolute comedy gold 😂

The saddest part is how right the poor guy is...

ReputationRep:
    Would love for us to buy Ighalo, Arnautovic, and Evans. £75 million get it done.

ReputationRep:
    "us"

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Sanchez and Ozil will go if we don't progress this year and we will lose value as we will get money back for them but the prices in the market have become more inflated to find the same value so in the end we will be worse off.
    Where will Ozil go that are better than Arsenal?

Would love for us to buy Ighalo, Arnautovic, and Evans. £75 million get it done.
    Those are hardly worldbeaters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Where will Ozil go that are better than Arsenal?

Those are hardly worldbeaters.
    PSG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    AR is melting down hard. Stop making so many excuses :lol:
    None of what I've said is false.

Anyways, more angry at the fact that our starting games are always shite year in year out and that we're in for another repeat season. So ****ing exciting, can't wait for this year to be an exact repeat of the last.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    What evidence do you have that Koscielny is a better defender? I'm going with the fact that the latter hasn't been able to get ahead of Sakho for their National team.Well we have Moreno in defence and this was Klavan's PL debut so don't even go down that route.Meh, you have a better side in general but since when is that a guarantee of victory? Your point about subs comes down to manager quality/tactics which is a big part of the game anyway.You're full of "what ifs" and there's no point thinking like that because we have no idea what would've happened in the hypothetical scenarios you're spouting.All we know that happened is Liverpool won the game. Take it like a man and move on to the next game...
    Meh I cba anymore, we deserve everything we get. At least Klopp has some ****ing ambition.

ReputationRep:
    bbc headline 'arsenal showed character'

The character of a mentally challenged ****wit.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of the result, I looked at that line-up and didn't see anything close to a title-winning side. More just a hodge-podge.

Liverpool weren't too different but they're not expected to be regular title challengers yet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    None of what I've said is false.

Anyways, more angry at the fact that our starting games are always shite year in year out and that we're in for another repeat season. So ****ing exciting, can't wait for this year to be an exact repeat of the last.

Meh I cba anymore, we deserve everything we get. At least Klopp has some ****ing ambition.
    Nice that you're still hopeful of a top 4 finish
    Put it this way, as soon as you finish 5th or lower, Wenger will be instantly sacked. It might actually be better for your club in the long run really?

Problem is that Wenger has created the mentality around the club that 4th is good enough when it really isn't. Do you think United would be satisfied finishing 4th this season?

In 3 consecutive seasons, I'd rather finish 9th, 8th and 1st than 4th, 3rd and 2nd.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.