Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MusicMaestro97)
Can't believe I've never found this thread before!

I've often wondered why do so many people dislike Moffat?
He had an excellent first season but its all been downhill since then.Although, Clara does seem promising and the Christmas special was excellent.He has took the micky out on the Daleks with Asylum of the Daleks, which included insane Daleks that acted saner than the sane Daleks and the whole episode is down there with the worst of all time and was so boring the only good thing was Clara.Clara is completely different to Amy She can speak on the Doctor's level.Asylum olf the Daleks was really bad because I have never really hated a Dalek episode before.Steven Moffat appeared to not understand how the Daleks and Doctor interact, they lost all their synchronicity they had in Victory of the Daleks and pretty much every other Dalek episode.There is a big problem with Moffat making things far too complex for viewers to understand, I still don't understand a small part of the Christmas episode I think it was when they got out of a window or something it didn't really make sense and this whole arc is doing rings around my head and he still hasn't said who blew up the tardis. Another main reason is that He has delayed episodes of the show and lied to fans making them wait longer for less episodes, we are now a full year being pretty much and he said that the whole point was to make fans wait less time for the next episode but we waited all the way from the second last Christmas episode to last August for 5 episodes and the quality of the 5 episodes was pretty much mediocre, the only reasonably good one was The Angels take Manhattan.
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
The two main criticisms I've seen against him are a) Bad writing. That he overcomplicates things and is just trying to show off, which ends up making it difficult to watch and unnecessarily flashy. b) Sexism and misogyny, characterised in the way that he writes female characters and male/female dynamics. Also there are some pretty dodgy quotes from him in interviews about how "the fact is that women are needy", things like that.
I haven't seen any sexism in the show care to elaborate:confused:
Abbieastoria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've tried so hard to think who Clara might be and I can't

Who can die twice in doctor who and come back to life other than Rory, or perhaps River

Posted from TSR Mobile
MusicMaestro97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
He had an excellent first season but its all been downhill since then.Although, Clara does seem promising and the Christmas special was excellent.He has took the micky out on the Daleks with Asylum of the Daleks, which included insane Daleks that acted saner than the sane Daleks and the whole episode is down there with the worst of all time and was so boring the only good thing was Clara.Clara is completely different to Amy She can speak on the Doctor's level.Asylum olf the Daleks was really bad because I have never really hated a Dalek episode before.Steven Moffat appeared to not understand how the Daleks and Doctor interact, they lost all their synchronicity they had in Victory of the Daleks and pretty much every other Dalek episode.There is a big problem with Moffat making things far too complex for viewers to understand, I still don't understand a small part of the Christmas episode I think it was when they got out of a window or something it didn't really make sense and this whole arc is doing rings around my head and he still hasn't said who blew up the tardis. Another main reason is that He has delayed episodes of the show and lied to fans making them wait longer for less episodes, we are now a full year being pretty much and he said that the whole point was to make fans wait less time for the next episode but we waited all the way from the second last Christmas episode to last August for 5 episodes and the quality of the 5 episodes was pretty much mediocre, the only reasonably good one was The Angels take Manhattan.
I completely understand now! The last half series was disappointing, especially after eight months waiting! My main problem with Asylum of the Darleks is that now, without doing something stupid, the doctor will never battle the darleks with them remembering him. If he changes that it would be insulting to the fans.

Hopefully the next half series will be better, I mean i've never seen Jenna act badly, so it'll all be down to the writing.
Dragonrage973
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
I don't like the new TARDIS design, too cold and doesn't sum up Matt Smith to me, but I guess we'll see as series goes on.

Love JLC though, she's a babe!
Yeah it might grow you on The thing I do miss though, is the opening title sequence and the music. I think the series 1 - 4 opening were perfect; actually looked like the TARDIS was flying through time and space, whereas now it just looks like it's moving through a cloudy storm or something :/ And the music has been over complicated. When I listen to the 2005 opening tune it gives me chills somehow, not like the new one does. Oh well I don't get hung up on that stuff too much, after all the packaging doesn't matter as much as the content

She is yeah! I wonder if River will be jealous
Dragonrage973
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
Spoilers! :p:

I heard that one reason for the Tardis re-design was simply that they had to move studio and were going to a smaller set, therefore smaller Tardis. The Tardis is now smaller on the inside... :p:
Actually the guy who designed it explained that it's exactly the same size, but in fact now it looks bigger than the previous one because of the layout.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
I haven't seen any sexism in the show care to elaborate:confused:
It's basically the fact that he seems unable to write female characters without defining them by either the men they relate to, or their reproductive process. Has Amy had a single story which didn't revolve around being pregnant (River/Melody) or being in love (with Rory, and the Doctor to some extent)? Everything about her character is centred on the Doctor and Rory, she has very little defining her of her own accord. This point of view quite clearly comes from Moffat because RTD was a lot better at writing fully-formed and realistic female characters. This quote from an interview with Moffat sums it up:
There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married—we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands.
This is a really good article with plenty of examples from Moffat's writing if you want more.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The reason I dislike Moffat isn't so much his complex stories but more the fact he never resolves anything properly and writes himself into corners where there's only 5 minutes of the show left and something has to happen to save everything...
Kalliope
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oooo, I'm very excited!! Having a big Doctor Who sleepover, but not got to think about how I can make food that is Dr Who related... maybe a Tardis cake?

The reason I dislike Moffat isn't so much his complex stories but more the fact he never resolves anything properly and writes himself into corners where there's only 5 minutes of the show left and something has to happen to save everything...
This is so true!
Politics Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
The two main criticisms I've seen against him are a) Bad writing. That he overcomplicates things and is just trying to show off, which ends up making it difficult to watch and unnecessarily flashy. b) Sexism and misogyny, characterised in the way that he writes female characters and male/female dynamics. Also there are some pretty dodgy quotes from him in interviews about how "the fact is that women are needy", things like that.
I hate to break this to you but did you see the RTD era? The female characters were 1 step away from humping the doctor's leg (the same was true with Amy at first). This bad writing of female characters has been an issue throughout the new series.

Take for example the episode School Reunion from the second series which was essentially a character assassination of one of the strongest female characters in the original series where she was written as 'waiting for the doctor' and gets into a cat fight with Rose over the Doctor.

I personally don't have too many issues with Moffat's writing as I really hated the RTD era. So to me Moffat has been a pretty damn good improvement.

(Original post by MusicMaestro97)
Fair enough, I never liked River Song either-although I've enjoyed most of the episodes since her took over from RTD (except obvious ones like Dinosaurs On a Space Ship).
I have enjoyed most of the episodes Moffat era and I particularly enjoyed Dinosaurs on a space ship. I mean that was a episode based on a silly name, but they were still able to do a good story, with some very silly moments granted, while producing the strongest villain of any of the new series.
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kalliope)
Oooo, I'm very excited!! Having a big Doctor Who sleepover, but not got to think about how I can make food that is Dr Who related... maybe a Tardis cake?
Fish fingers and custard?
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely. The Power of Three was the worst for that - Doctor saves the entire earth by sonicking a computer screen?! Hmm... :hmmm:
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Politics Student)
I have enjoyed most of the episodes Moffat era and I particularly enjoyed Dinosaurs on a space ship. I mean that was a episode based on a silly name, but they were still able to do a good story, with some very silly moments granted, while producing the strongest villain of any of the new series.
Couldn't stand DoaSS personally. I thought it was dreadful and was just just a case of wouldn't it be cool if we combinded dinosaurs and space? Let's just put them on a spaceship. The fans will go wild!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely. The Power of Three was the worst for that - Doctor saves the entire earth by sonicking a computer screen?! Hmm... :hmmm:
Don't mention that "ending" to me :facepalm:
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That ruined the entire episode for me - right up until that point it was a really good episode, they built it up brilliant. It's almost like he was writing for a two-part episode, then got told that they needed to fit it to a single episode and just thought "ah, sonic'll fix it, that'll do".
ReeceJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What annoys me is that the best episodes/highest rated of the RTD period were often written by other people. A few of these were even written by Moffat.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Yasmin54
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
TOMMOROW!:badger::badger::badger::badger:
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ReeceJ)
What annoys me is that the best episodes/highest rated of the RTD period were often written by other people. A few of these were even written by Moffat.

Oh yeah, I think Moffat is a great single episode writer when constrained by a plot of a series. I don't think he's a good series writer.
ReeceJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh yeah, I think Moffat is a great single episode writer when constrained by a plot of a series. I don't think he's a good series writer.
Exactly. He's best at two or three episodes. This is why Sherlock is so good. Three 1 and a half hour long episodes which works well.

Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Politics Student)
I hate to break this to you but did you see the RTD era? The female characters were 1 step away from humping the doctor's leg (the same was true with Amy at first). This bad writing of female characters has been an issue throughout the new series.

Take for example the episode School Reunion from the second series which was essentially a character assassination of one of the strongest female characters in the original series where she was written as 'waiting for the doctor' and gets into a cat fight with Rose over the Doctor.

I personally don't have too many issues with Moffat's writing as I really hated the RTD era. So to me Moffat has been a pretty damn good improvement.

RTD's female characters still had aspects of their personalities which didn't revolve around the Doctor/other men, though. Rose was in love with the Doctor but she also had other important values. She wanted to change her life for the better, she cared about her mum and Mickey. Martha was similar. Although she was in love with the Doctor, she took charge of her own life and could out when she needed to. The next time we saw her she had her own career and was doing things in her own right. Apparently Moffat wrote the scene where we see Martha spontaneously married to Mickey when Ten goes back to check on his old companions before regeneration - the most ridiculous and pointless character development I've ever seen. Moffat also wrote Blink - an otherwise good episode - where the main character, a really well-developed female for a change - ends up getting together with the nearest man at the end. Did we think she was independent and strong on her own? Whoops, we were wrong. Turns out she needed a man all along and just didn't realise. Wouldn't things have been easier if she'd noticed she was head-over-heels with him in the first place, everything would have been done much quicker. /sarcasm.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.5%
No - but I will (87)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.09%

Watched Threads