Fish fingers and custard?
Well, of course!
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
RTD's female characters still had aspects of their personalities which didn't revolve around the Doctor/other men, though. Rose was in love with the Doctor but she also had other important values. She wanted to change her life for the better, she cared about her mum and Mickey. Martha was similar. Although she was in love with the Doctor, she took charge of her own life and could out when she needed to. The next time we saw her she had her own career and was doing things in her own right. Apparently Moffat wrote the scene where we see Martha spontaneously married to Mickey when Ten goes back to check on his old companions before regeneration - the most ridiculous and pointless character development I've ever seen. Moffat also wrote Blink - an otherwise good episode - where the main character, a really well-developed female for a change - ends up getting together with the nearest man at the end. Did we think she was independent and strong on her own? Whoops, we were wrong. Turns out she needed a man all along and just didn't realise. Wouldn't things have been easier if she'd noticed she was head-over-heels with him in the first place, everything would have been done much quicker. /sarcasm.
I know, especially as she was supposed to be engaged to another guy as well!
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
I know, especially as she was supposed to be engaged to another guy as well!
Precisely!
MusicMaestro97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RTD's female characters still had aspects of their personalities which didn't revolve around the Doctor/other men, though. Rose was in love with the Doctor but she also had other important values. She wanted to change her life for the better, she cared about her mum and Mickey. Martha was similar. Although she was in love with the Doctor, she took charge of her own life and could out when she needed to. The next time we saw her she had her own career and was doing things in her own right. Apparently Moffat wrote the scene where we see Martha spontaneously married to Mickey when Ten goes back to check on his old companions before regeneration - the most ridiculous and pointless character development I've ever seen. Moffat also wrote Blink - an otherwise good episode - where the main character, a really well-developed female for a change - ends up getting together with the nearest man at the end. Did we think she was independent and strong on her own? Whoops, we were wrong. Turns out she needed a man all along and just didn't realise. Wouldn't things have been easier if she'd noticed she was head-over-heels with him in the first place, everything would have been done much quicker. /sarcasm.
I completley agree. I think, however, that we need another companion that isnt completley Doctor obsessed (with the exception of Donna, but thats another rant :P) Due to the type of character we've seen I think Clara will be similar to past companions.

Also, blink is one of my all time favourite episodes
anonymouspie227
Badges: 18
Report 6 years ago
I like doctor who. I was thinking back to the Asylum of the Daleks episode, I didn't realise that the Doctor was immune to the nanocloud, so I assumed that there would be some story where the doctor would become a puppet to the daleks, would've been awesome (you know because of giving his bracelet to Amy). Anyway, I'm interested in the whole oswin/clara being the same...
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MusicMaestro97)
I completley agree. I think, however, that we need another companion that isnt completley Doctor obsessed (with the exception of Donna, but thats another rant :P) Due to the type of character we've seen I think Clara will be similar to past companions.

Also, blink is one of my all time favourite episodes
Yeah - that's just what I'm worried about. I feel like Clara is going to end up having every aspect of her personality revolve about the way that she relates to the Doctor (whatever the reason is, something is causing her to keep being drawn to him in some kind of universal way).
ReeceJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've liked all the companions if I'm honest. Except Catherine Tate! But I think if there is any who should have a romantic attachment with the doctor it's Clara. She seems closer to him than any other companions. Just my opinion!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ReeceJ)
I've liked all the companions if I'm honest. Except Catherine Tate! But I think if there is any who should have a romantic attachment with the doctor it's Clara. She seems closer to him than any other companions. Just my opinion!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
I loved Donna, partly because she wouldn't take any crap from the Doctor. She was with him of her own choice and she was going to do things her own way. She always saw through the things that other companions fell for so easily.

But personally I think Martha was the one who I'd expect to be closest with the Doctor. And I think that if he hadn't still been dealing with losing Rose, he would have loved Martha even more. Martha was clever enough to really get the Doctor and keep up with him all the time. Rose just seemed to fawn over him and watch a lot of the time.
TimeAndSpace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Series 7 Part 2 looks utterly incredible to me, and with a plus, it starts tonight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I loved Donna, partly because she wouldn't take any crap from the Doctor. She was with him of her own choice and she was going to do things her own way. She always saw through the things that other companions fell for so easily.
Donna was my fav for sure. SO gutted she left.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is the Doctor not married to River still?

I think the Clara character looks good and there is a series paradox.
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think he best doctor so far was David Tennant, especially when he was with Donna

Also, I think that, considering that time surrounding the doctor/river is so mish-mashy, back to front and all that, I don't think their marriage really counts.

Have any of you seem the doctor who preview? Is shows child Clara and gives a tiny bit of backstory to the new series
Abbieastoria
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just don't feel sorry for the doctor anymore when the doctor loses a companion because he falls in love with like all of his companions so it's not like well never see it again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone ready? Got plans for tonight's post-show parties, etc??
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, I've removed all apples from my house. Some angry sounding pepper pot bought them...

Imperial_Maniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

But personally I think Martha was the one who I'd expect to be closest with the Doctor. And I think that if he hadn't still been dealing with losing Rose, he would have loved Martha even more. Martha was clever enough to really get the Doctor and keep up with him all the time. Rose just seemed to fawn over him and watch a lot of the time.
Martha was a king sized pain in the rear.
TimeAndSpace
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Everyone ready? Got plans for tonight's post-show parties, etc??
Better yet, turned off the WiFi?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TimeAndSpace)

Posted from TSR Mobile
But how would I follow the conversation about the show while watching? :cry2:

Besides - they can't get all of us in the 40 minutes before the doctor does something magical with the sonic when Moffat remembers the story needs resolving. :rolleyes:
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TimeAndSpace)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What?? And miss the tweetstorm??
HesitantCicada
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel like the show is definitely declining in quality, with episodes like the power of 3, yet I'll continue to watch as long as production continues (hopefully)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads