Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    I'm constantly getting 89% raw marks in all my physics papers (which in UMS is a bit higher I believe). No matter how hard I try, always the same marks.
    If you're unhappy you can always swap grades with me
    The mechanics/fields module in physics suddenly just became very difficult for me. I can apply formula and stuff but I don't know what the questions are asking me most of the time... Your grade is obviously very good- do you have any idea on how to understand what questions are asking you?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking Edexcel S3?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    Tbf, that's not the worst situation to be in. To improve try to keep learning rather than revising. What I mean by this go slightly beyond the syllabus to gain a deeper understanding of topics and maybe look at examples of how physics relates to real life. You obviously know the theory so just going over it repeatedly won't really help. Keep leaning

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice.
    What I generally try to do is to think beyond the syllabus, especially for application questions (medicine and so on, it's a massive chunk with CIE)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    If you're unhappy you can always swap grades with me
    The mechanics/fields module in physics suddenly just became very difficult for me. I can apply formula and stuff but I don't know what the questions are asking me most of the time... Your grade is obviously very good- do you have any idea on how to understand what questions are asking you?
    Hahaha Physics comes down to regurgitation and knowing when to apply formulae, which is the reason for why I prefer Chemistry over Physics (I like reasoning better than memorising). Do past papers but remember to go over the small things in your textbook you'd normally ignore. Past papers like asking you 'why' for the stuff you answer (or at least with CIE). In most cases, your textbook has a generic answer for those kind of questions.

ReputationRep:
    So I had a meeting with a head of house and my parents today...

After getting ABB in AS I'm on for CCC...

:/
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I take back what I said before. I just got an 83% in a paper (although an A in that paper was 63% so it must have been a hard paper?).
    I really really dislike how the Physics mark scheme encourages regurgitation for theory-based questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Physics comes down to regurgitation and knowing when to apply formulae, which is the reason for why I prefer Chemistry over Physics (I like reasoning better than memorising). Do past papers but remember to go over the small things in your textbook you'd normally ignore. Past papers like asking you 'why' for the stuff you answer (or at least with CIE). In most cases, your textbook has a generic answer for those kind of questions.
    That's the biggest problem with A Level physics, it's nothing like actual physics! That's why I took all the further pure maths modules and mechanics modules I could in maths, as I knew they would be far more useful for actual physics at uni
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    That's the biggest problem with A Level physics, it's nothing like actual physics! That's why I took all the further pure maths modules and mechanics modules I could in maths, as I knew they would be far more useful for actual physics at uni
    I agree. The mechanic modules I do in FM are a lot more interesting.
    The Spanish Baccalaureate's Physics (I have friends doing it) is a lot more like Mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The mechanic modules I do in FM are a lot more interesting.
    The Spanish Baccalaureate's Physics (I have friends doing it) is a lot more like Mechanics.
    It's a shame, if physics was actually like proper physics then I'd be learning both maths and physics at once, but instead im stuck memorizing regurgitated rubbish on radiation from gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    Yes! I find the mechanics modules in maths and further maths so much better than physics... They just outright ask you what they want you to do rather than skirting around the point to trick people into putting the wrong thing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. I'm about to do another past paper now haha wish me luck.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Thank you for your advice. I'm about to do another past paper now haha wish me luck.
    Good luck!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by adorablegirl1202)
    Is anyone taking Edexcel S3?
    I am indeed.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yet another 89% lol

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of past papers already :lol:

I'm doing this question but this mark scheme is really confusing me, can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

The first line has two derivatives and the question is about a common tangent when you are given two coordinates (0, 0) and \sqrt{2 \pi}, -\sqrt{2 \pi}:

So uh, on the second last line, if you substitute in x and y into x \dfrac{dy}{dx}+y=0 you'd get dy/dx = 1?????????? It should be -1.... inb4 I've done something really stupid :lol:

edit: bet it's a negative sign thing, if you solve -(x \dfrac{dy}{dx}+y), solving for dy/dx first then sticking in a minus in front of the answer you get the required answer...????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    And then there's me who's not even started past papers as I'm still crammimg content and making notes.
    (Original post by binarythoughts)
    Same; I left them till the end. A bit worrying since exams start in 10 days or so for me.
    And look at me here still 19 chapters left for all subjects and I am f*****!
    And my firm offer is A*AA
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    And look at me here still 19 chapters left for all subjects and I am f*****!
    And my firm offer is A*AA
    We'll make it bro .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    We'll make it bro .
    Exams start in 20 days

ReputationRep:
    Wish me luck... French oral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Wish me luck... French oral.
    Good luck!!!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.