Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The the solution is regulation. We tell them that they can have said courts but the judges must be trained in UK law and will be moniter end and inspected. If they are found to be acting outside the law then we step in. And I do understand what you mean, however I also understand that sharia courts have other uses. My understanding is that they act like religious leaders in that they provide advice and Guidence, which isn't legally enforceable and they do things like helping people fine 'suitable' partners. I don't think that all of Islam is correct (Im irreligious for one) but until harm is done I'm reasonably happy for them to do that as long as they do try to intergrate. (There are troubles on both sides there and with the media)

I agree, however I would argue that it is not forcing other than that of social pressure, as the sharia court has no power. They are just saying what Islam tells them to say. Is their opinion wrong? In my mind yes but at the end of the day it is advice.
    You understate the power of the social exploitation used in some Sharia Courts, individuals are told their God will have them killed if God's law is not followed; families have disowned family members for not following the religious law; and murder of a spouse, or of a child as punishment has been documented in Britain: Sharia Courts operate using social, and religious pressure where individuals believe there is no alternative that will not have terrible consequences for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I thought i made it up.

Who are you thinking of?
    His name escapes me.

:fuhrer:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You understate the power of the social exploitation used in some Sharia Courts, individuals are told their God will have them killed if God's law is not followed; families have disowned family members for not following the religious law; and murder of a spouse, or of a child as punishment has been documented in Britain: Sharia Courts operate using social, and religious pressure where individuals believe there is no alternative that will not have terrible consequences for them.
    Families can disown eachother if they wish.
    If a 'sharia court' caused the murder of someone then it should be shut down. Hence my suggestion of regulation.
    And then you have to tackle the idea not stop the institution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1469550928137.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    #LibDemFightback 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    #LibDemFightback 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If NC is a fightback to you you really have low expectations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Can you please compile a list of killings by natives of these countries within the same time period so that we can compare and contrast.

Also if the Church attack was terrorist related rather than a personal feud or whatever, then I have got to say they are dumb as ****. Why would they do it on a Tuesday?
    They would be more likely to be overpowered if they went to a full church, and a weekday service congregation is likely to be older people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    They would be more likely to be overpowered if they went to a full church, and a weekday service congregation is likely to be older people.
    Ah yea, I've since seen that they only had knives. Initial reports simply said they were armed so I presumed guns.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A few points on the polling RN

The figures published are similar to those seen in 1997 and 1983, and by plugging them into electoral calculus which gives the Tories winning 1 SNP seat,the Lib Dems taking back Cambridge but losing two more seats to the Tories, PC winning a seat from Labour, and the Tories taking a further 43.Con majority of 104Con 377 (+46)Lab 187 (-45) Worse than 1983, worst since 1922LD 7 (-1)UKIP 1Green 1PC 4 (+1)SNP 55 (-1)If we instead switch to the 7 poll rolling average (38.4/30.4/8.6/12.7) We only get 7 Tory gains from Labour, 1 PC from Labour and 1LD from Labour

ReputationRep:
    The most interesting poll is the ICM one.

Gives the Tories 376 seats and Labour 188 seats, using Electoral Calculus. A majority of 102!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Poor Jezza.
    On the up side Mrs Meh is funny :lol:

ReputationRep:
    In other news, I think that OFCOM have bottled out of separating BT and Openreach. Or bringing BT back into public ownership. Broadband is the fourth utility for many people and BT's current poor performance harms the UK's business competitiveness and productivity. It also is a form of indirect discrimination against working families who are more likely to need the flexibility of working from home or keeping in touch if a part-time worker. The pension scheme argument is one for how soon to separate, not if.

ReputationRep:
    What do the Tories and Corbyn have in common?

They both blame the last Labour Government for absolutely everything even when it's really down to their own failings. Says it all really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A few points on the polling RN

The figures published are similar to those seen in 1997 and 1983, and by plugging them into electoral calculus which gives the Tories winning 1 SNP seat,the Lib Dems taking back Cambridge but losing two more seats to the Tories, PC winning a seat from Labour, and the Tories taking a further 43.Con majority of 104Con 377 (+46)Lab 187 (-45) Worse than 1983, worst since 1922LD 7 (-1)UKIP 1Green 1PC 4 (+1)SNP 55 (-1)If we instead switch to the 7 poll rolling average (38.4/30.4/8.6/12.7) We only get 7 Tory gains from Labour, 1 PC from Labour and 1LD from Labour
    I think there would be tactical voting and UKIP would gain some seats where they were second in 2015 and Tories would vote for them. I think the Lib Dems would gain more than one.

Academic as there will not be a RL GE until 2020.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    What do the Tories and Corbyn have in common?

They both blame the last Labour Government for absolutely everything even when it's really down to their own failings. Says it all really!
    They both have long memories. the last Labour government was between 1974 and about 1977. You can hardly call the Blair years a Labour government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think there would be tactical voting and UKIP would gain some seats where they were second in 2015 and Tories would vote for them. I think the Lib Dems would gain more than one.

Academic as there will not be a RL GE until 2020.
    And different boundaries

Using the proposed 2013 boundaries you roughly get this: http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/c...oundary=2010nb
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Fantastic news! What I'm particularly glad about is how the Tories have come together since the EU referendum and leadership election, showing that they're still a united party despite their differences on the EU.

ReputationRep:
    They both have long memories. the last Labour government was between 1974 and about 1977. You can hardly call the Blair years a Labour government.
    You can have a Blair type figure and get into Government, or you can have a Corbyn and Foot figure and stay in opposition.....

(Original post by toronto353)
    Fantastic news! What I'm particularly glad about is how the Tories have come together since the EU referendum and leadership election, showing that they're still a united party despite their differences on the EU.
    And with Labour membership and PLP differing over the choice of leader, one can see Tory figures increasing. One fears for Labour if Corbyn stays.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If NC is a fightback to you you really have low expectations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    General trend is upwards though. Had a few polls around 9-11%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    General trend is upwards though. Had a few polls around 9-11%

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Except it is no change...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.