The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tory101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
As Petros said - if not for the username I think I'd be trying to poach you right now Although to be fair I think the consensus in our party (although we are not all Lib Dems) is that Clegg was an absolute tool
It is fact that Clegg's a tool, seemed a decent chap though.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tory101)
Agreed there - if I had to describe him (and most of his MPs) in one word, it'd be naive rather than nasty. He genuinely thought that he was doing the right thing with the coalition, that the electorate would forgive him and recognise the Lib Dem's role in stabilising the country. In reality the coalition was not particularly liberal at all, we did stabilise but not on anything like a good timescale, and as for the electorate's response... well, the less said the better there
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agreed there - if I had to describe him (and most of his MPs) in one word, it'd be naive rather than nasty. He genuinely thought that he was doing the right thing with the coalition, that the electorate would forgive him and recognise the Lib Dem's role in stabilising the country. In reality the coalition was not particularly liberal at all, we did stabilise but not on anything like a good timescale, and as for the electorate's response... well, the less said the better there
The electorate were silly though. "Lib-Dems too right wing!", then they keep Clegg and get rid of Kennedy R.I.P.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The electorate were silly though. "Lib-Dems too right wing!", then they keep Clegg and get rid of Kennedy R.I.P.
Different people, to be fair - if Clegg had stood in Scotland and Kennedy in Sheffield I fully expect it would've been Kennedy who kept his seat (and much more comfortably at that).
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think history will be kind to Clegg, but it'll take the Lib Dems a decade or two to get anywhere near where they were

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I think history will be kind to Clegg, but it'll take the Lib Dems a decade or two to get anywhere near where they were

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am inclined to disagree with you, even though when Major left office there was those that placed him in a negative shining and yet history has been kinder to him. The difference is that Major was a working class bloke from Brixton (like myself) and Clegg is a public school "conveyor belt" politician, overall he had very little to offer and did nil but hold the Tories back.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Different people, to be fair - if Clegg had stood in Scotland and Kennedy in Sheffield I fully expect it would've been Kennedy who kept his seat (and much more comfortably at that).
Definitely, but it really does reflect poorly on the electorate.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Scotland's gonna Scotland.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Bloody naive commies.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely, but it really does reflect poorly on the electorate.
As Stannis said haha, it would have taken really something for any Lib Dem on the mainland to stop the SNP.

Out of interest, as a more liberal Tory what do you think of Cameron's proposal to repeal the Human Rights Act, and more generally on the EU referendum?
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
You really have a problem with Scotland dont you.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As Stannis said haha, it would have taken really something for any Lib Dem on the mainland to stop the SNP.

Out of interest, as a more liberal Tory what do you think of Cameron's proposal to repeal the Human Rights Act, and more generally on the EU referendum?
I believe in individual liberty and freedom so I understand the distress from people, however, I don't see why a British bill of rights, not dependent on the ECHR would be any worse. The one problem with that is that I'd like to see a referendum, and/or to know what's in the Bill of Rights before I support/reject it
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe in individual liberty and freedom so I understand the distress from people, however, I don't see why a British bill of rights, not dependent on the ECHR would be any worse. The one problem with that is that I'd like to see a referendum, and/or to know what's in the Bill of Rights before I support/reject it
Pretty much my opinion No problem with the principle, very much worried about why Cameron is making such an issue out of it and what exactly he plans to do.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pretty much my opinion No problem with the principle, very much worried about why Cameron is making such an issue out of it and what exactly he plans to do.
Well I take all policy from people not brought up in the "real world" with a pinch of salt. I can't say that I don't like Cameron, but I'd definitely feel better if it were William Hague and not Micheal Gove that was given the job.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I take all policy from people not brought up in the "real world" with a pinch of salt. I can't say that I don't like Cameron, but I'd definitely feel better if it were William Hague and not Micheal Gove that was given the job.
Hague's way better, so unfortunate with the timing of his leadership.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hague's way better, so unfortunate with the timing of his leadership.
Indeed, they really should give him another go at it. As long as it's not that blithering idiot, bumbling about with his bloody mop head.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeed, they really should give him another go at it. As long as it's not that blithering idiot, bumbling about with his bloody mop head.
LOL, between Boris and Gove there's enough bad options. Don't like May either and Osborne is just another Cameron so I guess I'm unlikely to find myself even considering voting Tory for a while.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
LOL, between Boris and Gove there's enough bad options. Don't like May either and Osborne is just another Cameron so I guess I'm unlikely to find myself even considering voting Tory for a while.
Osborne is a joke. I could never trust someone who's probably never had to even draw up a budget for himself to draw one up for the country.
Tory101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, my local MP, Jane Ellison is a lovely lady.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Osborne is a joke. I could never trust someone who's probably never had to even draw up a budget for himself to draw one up for the country.
No idea what he's doing as Chancellor, clearly not doing any of the economics himself - just there because he's a Yes Man and very loyal to Cameron, and not too prone to media cockups (he largely seemed to stay out of it until a year or two ago).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (22)
12.94%

Watched Threads