Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well, as different to RL as I like to think that we are it would seem that we only have 79 laws which are different (at last Hansard update) which really suprises me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welsh Labour are being pathetic and have ruled out making a bid for the 2026 commonwealth games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Corbyn clearly would never be 'steamrollered' by anyone. XD Don't you watch the news?
    yeah, i also watch prime minsiters questions, where he frankly just gets bullied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It's why us Corbynistas despise "soundbites" associated with modern day politics
    unfortunately not using them just means losing the air war. You're just letting the enemy define the narrative. More pragmatism than this is needed to win an election, and even more than that is needed to run a country.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by banterboy)
    yeah, i also watch prime minsiters questions, where he frankly just gets bullied
    That fact Cam or May crack a joke at PMQs and their backbenchers laugh doesn't mean Corbyn wouldn't be able to negotiate with, to use your example, China. Surely your understanding of character isn't that vacuous.

ReputationRep:
    That fact Cam or May crack a joke at PMQs and their backbenchers laugh doesn't mean Corbyn wouldn't be able to negotiate with, to use your example, China. Surely your understanding of character isn't that vacuous.
    It means:

either he has no tactical nous, he simply isn't quick, he's simply too weak when it comes to confrontation or some combination.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It's why us Corbynistas despise "soundbites" associated with modern day politics
    Agreed, but when people see only snippets of speeches on the news, it's those soundbites that people remember, hence why his comments about Theresa May will haunt him.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    He has to talk the talk to have any chance whatsoever of beating Corbyn. Although I would say the 50p tax rate wasn't given a fair chance and the 'evidence' for getting rid of it was exceptionally flimsy. But in any case, I'd say those tax rises are probably popular with most of the electorate, no? (I do disagree with him on zero-hours contracts).
    Absolutely and I believe that the evidence has suggested that a 45p tax rate actually brings in more revenue than a 50p tax rate, so while you're right to say he has to talk the talk, sometimes it's better to be honest and say that a 50p tax rate, for example, doesn't work. The tax rises would be popular with the electorate, but they wouldn't be good for the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Absolutely and I believe that the evidence has suggested that a 45p tax rate actually brings in more revenue than a 50p tax rate, so while you're right to say he has to talk the talk, sometimes it's better to be honest and say that a 50p tax rate, for example, doesn't work. The tax rises would be popular with the electorate, but they wouldn't be good for the economy.
    This appears to be the case because of clever accounting, not because it a 50p rate actually brings in less revenue. Naturally, the Tories wanted to avoid making it look like they were giving pointless tax cuts to the rich.

ReputationRep:
    The 50% rate was predicted to only make £3bn at best, that coupled with the moral argument against it makes it right that the coalition abolished it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Agreed, but when people see only snippets of speeches on the news, it's those soundbites that people remember, hence why his comments about Theresa May will haunt him.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    This appears to be the case because of clever accounting, not because it a 50p rate actually brings in less revenue. Naturally, the Tories wanted to avoid making it look like they were giving pointless tax cuts to the rich.
    Indeed. My understanding is that the government abolished it after only the first year of figures showed it wasn't raising revenue. That's obviously going to happen because companies will move as much revenue as possible to the year before the tax is introduced or, once announced, the year after it is abolished. Had the rate been kept for longer, it may and I believe would have lead to increased revenue - but the period it was in place for was way too short to give evidence either way.

ReputationRep:
    The has been another explosion in Germany
    https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/sta...12327007576064
    German media reports there has been an explosion near an office for migration in Zirndorf near Nuremberg

ReputationRep:
    another area of europe to win the islam post code lottery
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    another area of europe to win the islam post code lottery
    Tbh, depending on just how close, it's quite likely the far right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It means:

either he has no tactical nous, he simply isn't quick, he's simply too weak when it comes to confrontation or some combination.
    Nonsense. Strength isn't about a good comeback when a guy with a couple of hundred supporters standing behind him throws a cheap shot and dodges a question. Corbyn, after the slander and the resignations has proven himself to be far 'stronger' than Cameron ever was.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. Strength isn't about a good comeback when a guy with a couple of hundred supporters standing behind him throws a cheap shot and dodges a question. Corbyn, after the slander and the resignations has proven himself to be far 'stronger' than Cameron ever was.
    nothing says strong leader like being 16 points behind in the polls, unable to control you party, unable to form a cabinet, unable to control abusers he half heartedly condemns within the labour party, being literally dragged away by his media team as he is about to answer a question he isn't allowed to and generally being bullied by journos

ReputationRep:
    just accept it corbyn is a beta male
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    nothing says strong leader like being 16 points behind in the polls, unable to control you party, unable to form a cabinet, unable to control abusers he half heartedly condemns within the labour party, being literally dragged away by his media team as he is about to answer a question he isn't allowed to and generally being bullied by journos
    And yet, he's still the leader. Immovable, just as he would be in a negotiation with another country.

ReputationRep:
    Now i largely agree with the sentiment but your conclusion is absurd. Corbyn is objectively poorer than Cameron at both debating and making speeches.

Not that it should be the primary consideration of his leadership of course. I despise him because he hates this countries institutions and is a zealot, not because he lacks the ability to make a comeback.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Now i largely agree with the sentiment but your conclusion is absurd. Corbyn is objectively poorer than Cameron at both debating and making speeches.

Not that it should be the primary consideration of his leadership of course. I despise him because he hates this countries institutions and is a zealot, not because he lacks the ability to make a comeback.
    The debate isn't about making speeches or debating - it's about who'd bow down to someone else's demands under pressure. Corbyn is 'objectively' stronger in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    The debate isn't about making speeches or debating - it's about who'd bow down to someone else's demands under pressure. Corbyn is 'objectively' stronger in that respect.
    Ah.

Well that starts an entirely different debate about whether that is a good thing at all. There's a difference between holding out to get what you want and being too stubborn to see you should have folded. Even Thatcher knew how to compramise when necessary.

But yes, i'd tend to agree that most zealots are certainly strong willed.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.