Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violajoe001)
    OK so I got a room in Wistow. Floor 1 Room 23. It's in GMS and, well, not exactly the one I wanted, but anyway=_=
    Actually I haven't seen anybody posting about it yet, so I am wondering who would be my neighbors this year.
    I've got ground floor in Wistow! not really what i wanted either, catered is a bit annoying but never mind what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    How many minutes away from the main university are Oadby Student Village and city living?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    How many minutes away from the main university are Oadby Student Village and city living?
    Oadby is about 35-40 minutes by foot to uni, and city living is about 5, but Oadby is famously more social than city living so it just depends on your priorities!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, got a few questions guys hope somebody could help

I just got an offer for an accommodation at the Mary Gee's flats or something :s lol, I was wondering if there were many undergraduates like me their or if i'd be placed with people a lot older then me doing post grads etc.

Also hows the night/social life at Mary Gee's? thank's in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooMuchG)
    Hey, got a few questions guys hope somebody could help

I just got an offer for an accommodation at the Mary Gee's flats or something :s lol, I was wondering if there were many undergraduates like me their or if i'd be placed with people a lot older then me doing post grads etc.

Also hows the night/social life at Mary Gee's? thank's in advance!
    I'll be totally honest with you, Mary Gee doesn't have the greatest reputation out of the accommodation options, simply because the blocks are quite old and it's far away from the rest of the student village. However, it is pretty much all undergraduates I think so you're not alone on that front! I know people that got into Mary Gee and transferred to the student village, but I also know people who stayed there and still had a really good time, so I think it's just one of those luck of the draw type of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybombbb)
    Oadby is about 35-40 minutes by foot to uni, and city living is about 5, but Oadby is famously more social than city living so it just depends on your priorities!
    I think I'll apply for Oadby in that case

Also, broad question but what are the pros and cons of each oadby halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybombbb)
    I'll be totally honest with you, Mary Gee doesn't have the greatest reputation out of the accommodation options, simply because the blocks are quite old and it's far away from the rest of the student village. However, it is pretty much all undergraduates I think so you're not alone on that front! I know people that got into Mary Gee and transferred to the student village, but I also know people who stayed there and still had a really good time, so I think it's just one of those luck of the draw type of things.

Thank's for the quick reply very informative , last question how is the social life/ atmosphere over there?

I really don't mind that its a bit old and cheap, tbh its one of the reasons why I accepted the offer saving a few 100 quid as well as money on travel is helpful especially in my situation :-).

Isn't it the people that make it a sociable place?

ReputationRep:
    Hey is anyone else getting this message when trying to get onto the accommodation service "We are currently experiencing a high volume of users on our online accommodation system. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

I've been getting this message for about 3 hours now and was wondering if I was the only one.

ReputationRep:
    What's Nixon court like? Is it mainly post grads and international?

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of friends that lived in Mary Gee and really enjoyed it becasue they found it really sociable Most of them are living in houses with them in 2nd and 3 year aswell. I found that it is more about the people than the accomodation anyway

(Original post by TooMuchG)
    Thank's for the quick reply very informative , last question how is the social life/ atmosphere over there?

I really don't mind that its a bit old and cheap, tbh its one of the reasons why I accepted the offer saving a few 100 quid as well as money on travel is helpful especially in my situation :-).

Isn't it the people that make it a sociable place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    What's Nixon court like? Is it mainly post grads and international?
    It's mixed between all three; PG, International and UG. I lived at Opal (practically the sister of Nixon) and I found it to be mainly international/UG. I knew someone at Nixon who would say the same. Obviously they try and place you in a flat with similar students so don't be that afraid. Nixon is great for three reasons; 5/10 mins away from uni, closer to local amenities (morrisons is 5 mins away and town is about a 25 minute walk) and there's a pub about 2 minutes away from the main blocks, ahha. Obviously the closeness to uni is a big bonus on nights at the union. (It'll save taxi fares if you have someone to walk back with) I would say if you want a more sociable living quarters though, I'd go for Oadby. Plus Nixon has only been half renovated. If you live in the renovated blocks they're amazing (expensive too!) but the other blocks are standard student living quarters.

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me?? I've been given Catered Accommodation. which I didn't want, and I'm trying to look for information about it now like what meals you get, money on a card which you should use each day/week? ... Anything like that please it would really help cause I need to accept it but I'd like to know what I'm getting into,

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicalouisee_)
    Please can someone help me?? I've been given Catered Accommodation. which I didn't want, and I'm trying to look for information about it now like what meals you get, money on a card which you should use each day/week? ... Anything like that please it would really help cause I need to accept it but I'd like to know what I'm getting into,

Thankyou
    I'm in the exact same position! I put down self-catered for all my options and they give me a catered room -__- It's more expensive aswell :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I had catered halls at Leicester in first year when I originally applied for self catered. You have 2 meals a day every day of the week, monday to friday its breakfast (which is both continental and cooked breakfast) and an evening meal- there are usually 3 choices one vegetarian and 2 meat dishes. They also usually have jacket potatoes and salad every night and a desert aswel. At weekends its brunch and an evening meal Plenty of choices so you don't go hungry. There is also little kitchens with microwaves so you can make lunch if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDictator)
    I'm in the exact same position! I put down self-catered for all my options and they give me a catered room -__- It's more expensive aswell :mad:
    I know they first put me in a catered which would have cost me over 5 grand but I couldn't afford it so they put me in a cheaper catered .... What hall are you in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annies23)
    I had catered halls at Leicester in first year when I originally applied for self catered. You have 2 meals a day every day of the week, monday to friday its breakfast (which is both continental and cooked breakfast) and an evening meal- there are usually 3 choices one vegetarian and 2 meat dishes. They also usually have jacket potatoes and salad every night and a desert aswel. At weekends its brunch and an evening meal Plenty of choices so you don't go hungry. There is also little kitchens with microwaves so you can make lunch if you want
    Oh ok Thankyou for this ...... Did you enjoy having catered??

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Which ensuite self catered accommodation is closest to the main campus? thanks!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igcsecrazy)
    Hi! Which ensuite self catered accommodation is closest to the main campus? thanks!! xxx
    Opal or Nixon I would say.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDictator)
    Works out cheaper overall. Think it's about 90 quid a term more, there is no way you'll only spend 90 quid on food over the course of 10 weeks.

Plenty of people I know wanted self originally and were glad they got catered, it's more sociable too as a general rule.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, for those of you who are in Catered the accommodation office just sent me this link about catered food (I requested it) .... There is also an example menu on there for Winter 2013 ..... http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommo...inment-1/menus

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.