Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    well done everyone on your jan results (didn't have any personally).

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what Oxford's policy is if you get A*A*B?

presumably it's at the discretion of the tutors or something?

I know someone that got accepted anyway with A*AB but it might have been because his school's not great...

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Oxford on UCAS
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    Anyone else get jan results today?

On track for an A in at least two of my subjects, didn't have a jan exam for the other. So glad that I still have a chance of getting in
    I got some maths results which put me on track for an A* in further maths (already have one in maths) and put me in a pretty difficult position if I want A* in physics, but I'm fine for an A. Didn't have a computing exam in Jan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    Anyone else get jan results today?

On track for an A in at least two of my subjects, didn't have a jan exam for the other. So glad that I still have a chance of getting in
    I got some too! Well Done!
    On track to getting my 3 As, maybe 4 if I'm lucky.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question if anyone can help me. If the offer doesn't state that I need to pass another English exam (I already have one but i took it 3 years ago) do i have to take another one anyway? All the other offers I have so far ask me to pass another English exam, Oxford is the only one who didn't ask me on ucas. The problem is I don't know whether or not I have to take an exam anyway and the deadline for registering is getting closer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can'tStandStill)
    I have a question if anyone can help me. If the offer doesn't state that I need to pass another English exam (I already have one but i took it 3 years ago) do i have to take another one anyway? All the other offers I have so far ask me to pass another English exam, Oxford is the only one who didn't ask me on ucas. The problem is I don't know whether or not I have to take an exam anyway and the deadline for registering is getting closer.
    You're probably fine but better email them to make sure
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to everyone who got good results then

Now that I know how much UMS I need in 2 subjects the temptation is to not to as much work...

...but then the cruel exam gods might take my A away! Would be nice to get an A* mind, though if I meet my offer with AAA or A*A*A*, I'll probably never care to think about my a-levels again! XD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucius)
    Just got the one exam result back, but got 120/120. Pretty chuffed
    Well done ^^

And also: Another potential oxford geographer!

Geography rules, yo.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just got results today. I'm new to this but I hope you'll be nice and answer me question

Offer = AAA (obv)
    Insurance = AAB

On track at the moment for an A*A*B - would this guarantee a place in Oxford, or would they just withdraw the offer?

The B is not for the subject that I am applying for

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrodrigues)
    well done everyone on your jan results (didn't have any personally).

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what Oxford's policy is if you get A*A*B?

presumably it's at the discretion of the tutors or something?

I know someone that got accepted anyway with A*AB but it might have been because his school's not great...
    If the subject gives open offers, basically those with open offers who had met their offers would have priority for vacant places so someone with an open offer, even if it hadn't originally been underwritten by that particular College, might be taking the place leaving no room for discretion by the tutors. If there were a spare place even after all open offerees had been accounted for, then it would be up to the tutors but there would be a lot of factors going into the decision; as I understand it, they wouldn't always fill the place even with a near miss like A*A*B.

ReputationRep:
    No, it wouldn't guarantee you a place I'm afraid: you wouldn't have met their offer so it would be up to them to use discretion as to whether to accept you or not. If this happens (and hopefully it won't!) and you are rejected on track then you should definitely call them asap on the day and discuss it with them but be prepared that it might not be good news.
    Good luck with everything - hope you get your A

ReputationRep:
    As above - they would be well within their rights to reject you, and may well choose to. Focus on bumping that grade up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJR1992)
    Hey guys, just got results today. I'm new to this but I hope you'll be nice and answer me question

Offer = AAA (obv)
    Insurance = AAB

On track at the moment for an A*A*B - would this guarantee a place in Oxford, or would they just withdraw the offer?

The B is not for the subject that I am applying for

Cheers
    Nothing guarantees you getting a place other than meeting the exact terms of your offer. As for whether or not they might accept you: it varies by college and by individual tutor. The year I went up to Jesus the principle insisted on a blanket ban: anyone missing their grades wouldn't be allowed in (and therefore a couple of people didn't get to Jesus but actually got sent to other colleges who were prepared to be a bit more lax). An individual tutor may decide he likes a student to overlook a grade in an unrelated subject, but nothing other than getting the exact grades required will definitely get you a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPSMain)
    As an international antipode, I'm curious what these results are - I though results came out in August? Are these sort of halfway grades.....
    Hi! Basically the A Levels that we take are made up of several modules, and each module has its own exam.
    For example, a maths A Level has 6 modules, and thus 6 exams to be taken. These can be taken at any time over the two years of study at either January or June. And the results from January exams are released in March, and the June ones in August. A lot of schools take module exams early in January so that there are less exams to take in the summer, and so to relieve some pressure from the candidates.
    But the Official results day is still August, and this is when UCAS for example will be sent our final grades.
    I hope this clears it up a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPSMain)
    Cleared it up a lot, +repped. Thanks! :thumbsup: (And good luck to all for the remaining exams!)
    Ha, no problem! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Oxford on UCAS yesterday after my results anyone got any emails or anything from them since firming??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Just firmed Oxford on UCAS yesterday after my results anyone got any emails or anything from them since firming??
    Hi! I've been getting emails from Christ Church every few weeks, but they seem to just be general emails sent to all the offer holders. I haven't received any 'Thanks for firming us' letters/emails from them. I take it they assume that the majority will accept the offer, but then everybody has until sometime in March before they have to reply, right? So if they were to contact us, it would probably be after this. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Hi! I've been getting emails from Christ Church every few weeks, but they seem to just be general emails sent to all the offer holders. I haven't received any 'Thanks for firming us' letters/emails from them. I take it they assume that the majority will accept the offer, but then everybody has until sometime in March before they have to reply, right? So if they were to contact us, it would probably be after this. I think.
    Ah brilliant thanks!
    Just worried I didn't firm right or something stupid and I lose my place in the most embarrassing way possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    What have they been saying? My offer's unconditional, but I haven't heard anything from Merton after the offer email/letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    What have they been saying? My offer's unconditional, but I haven't heard anything from Merton after the offer email/letter.
    Firstly, there was an email with attachments about when Freshers will take place, and that they wanted some passport photos to be sent, etc. and that they would start assigning first year rooms when we firm them. Also a leaflet on funding, and an application form for the Christ Church Bursary.
    There were also emails directed more to international students, talking about sorting out visas etc. , and to students with disability status also.
    And then recently they have asked for us to tell them how we will be funding our studies, by either applying for studentfinance online when possible, or completing financial guarantee forms (International).
    It seems like Christ Church are just planning ahead, and trying to get as much information sorted out as quickly as possible. But then I know they are a big college, so maybe this could be why?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.