Turn on thread page Beta

St John Ambulance Society watch

Announcements
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Had the interview! Just waiting for my CRB check then it's all go!

(Original post by Purple_KNM)
    I have my interview on Thursday, hope all goes well for you, please let me know how it goes & what they ask, thanks
    It's all very informal, I answered a few questions like why I want to volunteer, what skills can I bring to the role, what areas am I interested in (Training, Cycle Respondent, etc) and then it's just a general chat about SJA, what they do, what's available, etc.

Good luck for Thursday, let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamstrawson)

It's all very informal, I answered a few questions like why I want to volunteer, what skills can I bring to the role, what areas am I interested in (Training, Cycle Respondent, etc) and then it's just a general chat about SJA, what they do, what's available, etc.

Oh okay, that's great.. well done do they tell you there and then if they're going to take you on & roughly how long did the interview last?

I'll let you know how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I'm 17 years old in October & I'm looking to rejoin SJA (I stopped a couple of years ago). As I'm 16/ nearly 17, would I still be able to join cadets with my friends or not? I don't particularly want to go to the adults whatever you call it.
    Please reply. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ky , thanks to the youth fept taking a very strict and slightly (IMO) Off beam view on being a minor - all under 18s are now service recipients and can only attrnd youth units and can only go on duty in a supernumerary capacity.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Out it curiosity, anyone here at the Brighton unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Out it curiosity, anyone here at the Brighton unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Am at Surrey LINKS so not too far away if you wanna come on a duty at our SU. Equally have thought about coming to a Brighton football match. They often request help for them in the season.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, that's great.. well done do they tell you there and then if they're going to take you on & roughly how long did the interview last?

I'll let you know how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine was about 10 minutes

(Original post by Ky97)
    Hi guys. I'm 17 years old in October & I'm looking to rejoin SJA (I stopped a couple of years ago). As I'm 16/ nearly 17, would I still be able to join cadets with my friends or not? I don't particularly want to go to the adults whatever you call it.
    Please reply. Thanks.
    Strictly you're still a minor and would go via cadets. If you're in East Midlands, we're running courses for 16-18 year olds to do the TFA induction and FA course over 2 weekends this summer as a trial run for the whole of the UK, so that might be worth asking about? Certainly a lot of it will depend on your unit manager, mine tries to get the cadets as involved as possible and as much hands-on experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    Mine was about 10 minutes.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a cadet my favourite duties would be the big events ie; marathons and runs. Looking forward to the southport airshow later this year though!

ReputationRep:

Interview went well was informal.. just asked why i wanted to join, what i'm hoping to achieve from it.. have to wait for my DBS to come back & should get my membership through the post in a few weeks & then i can order my uniform He said i'll enjoy it.. i'm looking forward to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Interview went well was informal.. just asked why i wanted to join, what i'm hoping to achieve from it.. have to wait for my DBS to come back & should get my membership through the post in a few weeks & then i can order my uniform He said i'll enjoy it.. i'm looking forward to it
    Glad it went well!

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    :bump:
    Well hello to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Been with SJA for over a year now with British Forces Overseas (part of West Midlands) and currently training for AFA. Looking to join LINKS at Bangor Uni this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    Well hello to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey hows it going?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've been part of St John for 5 years now and I'm also a cadet corporal. I enjoy SJA a lot and some of the duties I have been on have been great and the ones I'm going on soon sound great as well as the 2 courses I'm going on in September/October time

ReputationRep:
    Hi is there a group at Cardiff Met university? I know there is one at Cardiff Uni...

ReputationRep:
    Hi im looking to join sja, and have an interview date, so any advice on how to prepare for the interview and what to expect would be awesome. Also, how long does the crb check and everytging else take before i actually begin duty?Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Zahra~)
    Hi im looking to join sja, and have an interview date, so any advice on how to prepare for the interview and what to expect would be awesome. Also, how long does the crb check and everytging else take before i actually begin duty?Thanks in advance
    as others have said the interviews are fairly informal and it's rather hard to 'fail' the interview unless you are an absolute fractional wit or blue light window licker.

CRB checks are relatively quick via the electronic system unless there is a problem at their end ( multiple and frequent moves between police areas can slow it down )

the biggest delay - which shouldn;t be that large in the current 'campaign' recruitment system is the wait for Pathways (induction and initial ops competency) training ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    as others have said the interviews are fairly informal and it's rather hard to 'fail' the interview unless you are an absolute fractional wit or blue light window licker.

CRB checks are relatively quick via the electronic system unless there is a problem at their end ( multiple and frequent moves between police areas can slow it down )

the biggest delay - which shouldn;t be that large in the current 'campaign' recruitment system is the wait for Pathways (induction and initial ops competency) training ...
    Oh ok, thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.