Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steviep14)
    The colour change one confused me...
    There was no colour change right... as you can't oxidise a tertiary alcohol? D:
    I think that that's the answer. xD It's what I put.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    the double bond number has to be the lowest, not the methyl groups
    no your incorrect numbering of methy groups takes priority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    For the curly arrow one, I also drew an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, as well as from the C-Cl bond to the Cl and the F to the C. Was this wrong of me? I thought it also produced a positive hydrogen ion which would later go on to react with the hydrogen chloride?
    Curly arrows from partially negative F to partially positive C then curly arrow from C-Cl bond to partially negative Cl

ReputationRep:
    the double bond number has to be the lowest, not the methyl groups
    Pretty sure you won't get penalised for having the methyl groups with the lower number.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that! I made sure I put the potassium dichromate was orange, to make sure I got at least one mark if I was wrong! I think all you had to do was put "no change as tertiary alcohols do not readily oxidise" for both marks though.

ReputationRep:
    Was the "Hydrogen" thing...
    150C nickel catalyst.. for the conversion one...

and the equilibrium;

decrease for higher temp
    increase for higher pressure?
    what was the hydrogen question? because I remember writing H2 gas + platinum catalyst at RTP :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was alright, did everyone get electrophilic addition for the underlining question. For the dm3 question, i came back to it at the end and got the correct answer (41..) but forgot about s.f.!!!!!!

I think that unfortunatly it will be high for an A maybe 76-80 but can't see it surpassing 80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick d terrier)

no your incorrect numbering of methy groups takes priority
    http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_...he_Basic_Rules

I am correct, read that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    what was the hydrogen question? because I remember writing H2 gas + platinum catalyst at RTP :confused:
    I put platinum catalyst at room temp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welbeck)
    I thought it was alright, did everyone get electrophilic addition for the underlining question. For the dm3 question, i came back to it at the end and got the correct answer (41..) but forgot about s.f.!!!!!!

I think that unfortunatly it will be high for an A maybe 76-80 but can't see it surpassing 80.
    the dm3 wasnt s.f. so you're ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    For the curly arrow one, I also drew an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, as well as from the C-Cl bond to the Cl and the F to the C. Was this wrong of me? I thought it also produced a positive hydrogen ion which would later go on to react with the hydrogen chloride?
    Yeah that's right, I don't think you needed to draw an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, but I'm sure it won't matter.

I don't think you needed the HCL part as well, as it was only 2 marks

Yup. Remains an orange colour, as potassium dichromate is an orange colour.

ReputationRep:
    the dm3 wasnt s.f. so you're ok!
    I thought it said 3 s.f.?

Has anyone uploaded the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Well... didn't go too bad then
    Think probably 75 for an A
    then maybe drop of 7 per grade boundary..

For the 5 marker I wrote;

Propan-1-ol forms pd-pd interactions (hydrogen bonds) due to the hydroxyl group..
    Propene only id-id interactions...
    Propan-1-ol higher bp as pd-pd stronger than id-id and so more energy required to break these IMBs.. obviously expanded a bit but is that at least 3/5?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else forget that N2O was a dative molecule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muonz)
    Pretty sure you won't get penalised for having the methyl groups with the lower number.
    You probably will because it is the convention, take a read of that http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_...he_Basic_Rules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xomaxhox)
    Anyone else forget that N2O was a dative molecule?
    it had a diagram of it on the pre release

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Yeah that's right, I don't think you needed to draw an arrow from the F-H bond to the F, but I'm sure it won't matter.

I don't think you needed the HCL part as well, as it was only 2 marks

Yup. Remains an orange colour, as potassium dichromate is an orange colour.
    no, I didn't include the HCl part, it was just my logic as I went through inner turmoil with 5 minutes left deciding whether or not to add another arrow!

ReputationRep:
    it had a diagram of it on the pre release
    I still managed to mess it up anyway

ReputationRep:
    nickel catalyst 150degrees AND 5 atm

yes thats right for the equilibrium one

I put Platinum at room temperature :/ The past papers I've been doing were always on off about nickel when I put it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welbeck)
    I thought it said 3 s.f.?

Has anyone uploaded the paper?
    the frequency one was 3 s.f.

I could swear I checked hmmmmm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.