Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    also struggling with h. haha where have my mathematical skills gone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cem101)
    nervous, but tbh i dont mind if i dont pass so im much better knowing that theres no pressure, because im applying to imperial and not oxford, and imperial isnt my first choice, getting very very weird results in past papers, ranges from 50-75ish so i have no clue on how its going to go tomorrow but ive been doing the past papers quite casually, none where ive properly timed myself, but ive noticed i do it in maximum 2 hours. how about you? confident??
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your first choice then? (Camb/Warwick?) And I've been getting pretty similar marks to you actually, which is really worrying me as I foolishly applied to both Oxford AND Imperial, so I guess my chances aren't looking too good (I'm hoping it will be a paper I like... ).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    x
    Thanks for flagging this up - any regular users will be aware of the TSR's policy towards exam discussion. Normal rules apply ladies and gentlemen during the exam period!

Check the announcements if you are unclear on any of the rules and if you have any questions, chuck us a message in AAM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell_flames)
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your first choice then? (Camb/Warwick?) And I've been getting pretty similar marks to you actually, which is really worrying me as I foolishly applied to both Oxford AND Imperial, so I guess my chances aren't looking too good (I'm hoping it will be a paper I like... ).
    in order:
    LSE
    Imperial
    UCL
    Kings
    Durham (back up)
    dw past papers only indicate to a certain extent, but maybe imperial and ox wasnt the best idea, if you dont get oxford would you like a london uni, if so doesnt matter. but tbh you can get 80 on mat and still get rejected from one of them after interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    This is important. Candidates will be sitting the test at different times in different parts of the world. Therefore please do not discuss the test immediately afterwards. See the stern warning from the Mods at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...p?f=693&a=1358. I hope discussion will be allowed from mid-day (UK time) on Thursday.

Good luck!

Since others have said that what you meant is that the blank page after a question is to be used to answer the question on. Can u verify this please

Also, if this is in fact the case, if the question only takes up half the page. Can you use the second half of the page and the following blank page to answer the question?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone planning on getting together an unofficial mark scheme AROUND MIDDAY ON THURSDAY?

ReputationRep:
    in order:
    LSE
    Imperial
    UCL
    Kings
    Durham (back up)
    dw past papers only indicate to a certain extent, but maybe imperial and ox wasnt the best idea, if you dont get oxford would you like a london uni, if so doesnt matter. but tbh you can get 80 on mat and still get rejected from one of them after interview.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what made you prefer LSE to Imperial? Is it an interest in economics, or is it something else? (I never got to visit LSE, so I want to find out as much about it as possible) My other choices were Warwick, Durham and LSE. If/when I get rejected from Oxford and Imperial, Warwick will definitely be my first choice, but I'm worried about the STEP/AEA. Very much hoping you're right about past papers though :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit like that too actually Which is why I've been doing all of my MAT papers in pencil, but apparently they'd rather we do it in pen... I did my first one using a pen today, and it was a horrific mess How are you feeling about tomorrow?
    The important thing is that we can read it. With pencil things can get smudged, or accidentally rubbed out, which is why there's a bit of a preference for pen. But we certainly aren't going to disregard your paper if you use a pencil. If pencil works better for you then use that. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Lol we needn't be so nervous.

The way I see it is i get to miss physics (and a pretty boring maths lesson) to do 2 and a half hours of fairly challenging maths.

Me like

ReputationRep:
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what made you prefer LSE to Imperial? Is it an interest in economics, or is it something else? (I never got to visit LSE, so I want to find out as much about it as possible) My other choices were Warwick, Durham and LSE. If/when I get rejected from Oxford and Imperial, Warwick will definitely be my first choice, but I'm worried about the STEP/AEA. Very much hoping you're right about past papers though :/
    well when i visited LSE i really liked the feel, the prestige is huge and i know it sounds silly but i really liked the library, but i figure i will spend a lot of time there in the next few years. and ive always preferred london but figured durham was better than queen mary's. which is still very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    The important thing is that we can read it. With pencil things can get smudged, or accidentally rubbed out, which is why there's a bit of a preference for pen. But we certainly aren't going to disregard your paper if you use a pencil. If pencil works better for you then use that. Hope that helps.
    Would you be able to answer my question to gavinlowe please. And also, are the answer booklets photocopied and marked online like for alevels. Or since theres only about 1000 papers are the original copies marked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    Thanks a lot for this - that was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    Lol we needn't be so nervous.

The way I see it is i get to miss physics (and a pretty boring maths lesson) to do 2 and a half hours of fairly challenging maths.

Me like
    Some of us have better reasons to be nervous than others (you've had scores in the 90s for goodness' sake!)

I have to miss double further pure

ReputationRep:
    well when i visited LSE i really liked the feel, the prestige is huge and i know it sounds silly but i really liked the library, but i figure i will spend a lot of time there in the next few years. and ive always preferred london but figured durham was better than queen mary's. which is still very good.
    Interesting... Thanks for the answer I guess I'll have to visit it if I get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I really, really hope I can get 70+ on this. There's no point getting an interview with a score of 50, really... I don't think I'll be 'outstanding' enough to overshadow the score.

Plus, I love Oxford! Only place which I really, really, really liked when I visited.

ReputationRep:
    Some of us have better reasons to be nervous than others (you've had scores in the 90s for goodness' sake!)

I have to miss double further pure
    i'm nervous too trust me. but the way i see it is we're only going to do good enough in the test to get an offer if we're good enough to do maths at oxford. and if im good enough then im good enough, if im not good enough then im not. got to accept that and just do our best tomorrow and see if thats good enough! (you cant do anymore than your best!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    i'm nervous too trust me. but the way i see it is we're only going to do good enough in the test to get an offer if we're good enough to do maths at oxford. and if im good enough then im good enough, if im not good enough then im not. got to accept that and just do our best tomorrow and see if thats good enough! (you cant do anymore than your best!)
    That's incredibly true And you really shouldn't worry - you are obviously good enough with the scores you've been getting. (Looks like my chances of getting into Merton really aren't that great now )

ReputationRep:
    That's incredibly true And you really shouldn't worry - you are obviously good enough with the scores you've been getting. (Looks like my chances of getting into Merton really aren't that great now )
    Don't worry, it's a bit of a myth (or grossly exaggerated) that Merton attracts the best applicants. If anything, it attracts the people who think they're the best applicants :lol:

ReputationRep:
    in Q1 is it just 4 marks for the right answer so working out doesnt matter or are there method marks too?

also im stuck on this and dont understand the mark scheme any help would be appreciated, im sure i know how to do it just had a mental block.

In the region 0 < x 2π, the equation

x
    0 sin(sin t) dt = 0 (integral)

has

(a) no solution; (b) one solution; (c) two solutions; (d) three solutions
    Method 1:
    f(x)=int[sin(sin(t)) dt] from t=0 to x
    Differentiate with respect to x:
    f'(x)=sin(sin(x))
    For x in (0,2pi], f'(x) has two roots : pi,2pi.
    So, f(x) can have maximum 1 root in the interval.
    Using properties of a definite integral, you can conclude that 2Pi is a root. Hence, one solution.

Method 2:
    Draw a very approximate graph of sin(sin t) and see where the area becomes 0.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.