Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: International Student (USA)
    A-Levels: International Student
    Course: History and Economics
    College: Maybe Pembroke or Balliol or Hertford
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there?
    Meeeeeeeeee!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here applying for medicine? If so, have you entered any Oxford medicine essay competitions?

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone find their exams? I think I just messed them up. Praying hard to get A*AA, need it to apply for Oxford.How could I did it so badly in the real exam after making all my efforts in the last year.I was too nervous and I have been upset for days.Can anyone guarantee that low As in Chem and Physics won't affect the application? Quite confidant to get average ums higher than 93 in maths tho.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying in September depending on the strength of my AS results.Looking to apply for Engineering science.
    GCSE's: 5 A*'s, 3 A's, 1 C, and a distinction. Regarding the subjects relevant for Engineering, I got an A* in Physics and an A in GCSE Maths.
    AS levels are Mathematics (Mechanics), American History, Fine Art, and Physics. Predicted AAAA, and I think the lowest attainment possible would be an A in Maths and Art, then B in Physics and History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renewhj)
    How does everyone find their exams? I think I just messed them up. Praying hard to get A*AA, need it to apply for Oxford.How could I did it so badly in the real exam after making all my efforts in the last year.I was too nervous and I have been upset for days.Can anyone guarantee that low As in Chem and Physics won't affect the application? Quite confidant to get average ums higher than 93 in maths tho.
    Well Oxford can't see your UMS, just letter grades, so it makes no difference to your application how high/low they are and don't stress about it too much, you can always resit a unit even for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Well Oxford can't see your UMS, just letter grades, so it makes no difference to your application how high/low they are and don't stress about it too much, you can always resit a unit even for Oxford.
    Thanks a lot! I can calm down and focus on my core 4 now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    If I apply to Oxford instead of Cambridge, I will be applying for Biochemistry, but I guess they're somewhat related

How are your super curriculars so far?
    Super curriculars? Not familiar with what that means.

You mean stuff like work experience?

(Original post by BritishBean)
      Super curriculars? Not familiar with what that means.

You mean stuff like work experience?
      Yeah basically stuff you've done outside of school which is related to your subject

ReputationRep:
      GCSEs: 10A*s
      A-Levels: Maths, English Lit, Philosophy & Ethics, History (Predicted AAAA)
      Subject: Law
      College: No idea, may have to use a random generator or something.

Also, how dependent is an offer on the LNAT? I've heard that it's diabolical.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Edminzodo)
      Meeeeeeeeee!
      Oh cool, what are your grades? Do you do chinese?

ReputationRep:
      GCSEs: Predicted 5 A's 3 B's
      A-Levels: Physics, Biology, ICT, Maths
      Subject: Computer Science
      College: Not sure yet, still looking

What are my chances with these GCSE grades? They aren't the best and I've just finished my exams so there isn't anything I can do now So scared! But I hope to join Oxford in 2017 not used to GCSEs and Alevels seeing as I just moved from America

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TinaBelcher)
      GCSEs: Predicted 5 A's 3 B's
      A-Levels: Physics, Biology, ICT, Maths
      Subject: Computer Science
      College: Not sure yet, still looking

What are my chances with these GCSE grades? They aren't the best and I've just finished my exams so there isn't anything I can do now So scared! But I hope to join Oxford in 2017 not used to GCSEs and Alevels seeing as I just moved from America
      It's fair to say that your GCSE predictions are somewhat below what we normally expect. However, as you say, there's nothing you can do about them now. But the emphasis is on you to show that you're better than those predictions.

You could strengthen your application by re-thinking your A Level choices. Mathematics is very important, because Computer Science is a mathematical subject. Are you able to take Further Maths as well? Also ICT isn't a great A Level: it's technical rather than scientific. The (new-style) Computer Science A Level is much better preparation for an academic degree.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gavinlowe)
      It's fair to say that your GCSE predictions are somewhat below what we normally expect. However, as you say, there's nothing you can do about them now. But the emphasis is on you to show that you're better than those predictions.

You could strengthen your application by re-thinking your A Level choices. Mathematics is very important, because Computer Science is a mathematical subject. Are you able to take Further Maths as well? Also ICT isn't a great A Level: it's technical rather than scientific. The (new-style) Computer Science A Level is much better preparation for an academic degree.

Gavin
      My College only offers ICT, not computing or computer science which is disappointing. I'm very worried that if I take further maths, I won't get the grade I want- I'm only getting a middle A in GCSE maths and haven't done Further Maths GCSE. It looks very difficult which is intimidating. If there was any way to self teach an A level then I would (no doubt) definitely do it, but sadly that isn't the case, and I have very limited options in my college when it comes to A level options.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TinaBelcher)
      My College only offers ICT, not computing or computer science which is disappointing. I'm very worried that if I take further maths, I won't get the grade I want- I'm only getting a middle A in GCSE maths and haven't done Further Maths GCSE. It looks very difficult which is intimidating. If there was any way to self teach an A level then I would (no doubt) definitely do it, but sadly that isn't the case, and I have very limited options in my college when it comes to A level options.
      Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you know what Computer Science at a top university involves? It's very mathematical. If you're concerned about taking Further Maths because you don't think you can do well in it, you should be even more concerned about doing a degree in Computer Science at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Noble.)
      Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you know what Computer Science at a top university involves? It's very mathematical. If you're concerned about taking Further Maths because you don't think you can do well in it, you should be even more concerned about doing a degree in Computer Science at Oxford.
      Yes, you're right. I think that my worst fear is failure, which reduced my ability to challenge myself. Maybe I will do further maths, as long as I can do it while not having done GCSE further maths. I love maths, and find it fascinating which is why I should pursue it with more drive. I am even more interested in computers, which is why I am applying for a gap year apprenticeship at IBM for 12 months before university. Hopefully that will give me experience and a deeper passion for what I want to do at university.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blue16)
      Yeah I'm generally pretty happy with my exams bar Maths. But, (similar to your Philosophy) it's the first year of New Highers so only time will tell...

August 4th for results, here. Is that the same as England?

Couple more History applicants seem to be appearing...
      Yeah I know they're coming out of the woodwork slowly

Nope England 13th Aug....!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      History/Politics applicants - what sort of reading have you been doing?

ReputationRep:
      GCSEs Predicted: 6A* 2A already have A*A
      A-levels: Physics, Math and FM, French, Chemistry, Spanish and As in Spanish literature (last two are compulsory)
      Course: Physics
      One of the As at GCSE would be Additional maths and the A I already have is in Math, Do you think it will hinder my chances (knowing that mine is very probably the only A in Additional at my school)?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Velvetgh0st)
      GCSEs: 4 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs and 1 C
      A Levels: Government & Politics, English Literature, Geography and ICT
      Subject: Law
      College: St Catherine's

Everyone says how Cambridge is less concerned with academics when applying and Oxford is harder to get into however the entrance requirements is AAA at Oxford and A*AA at Cambridge? I'm aiming for 4 As in my AS as my careers teacher said there's no point applying if I got lower than that however I was wondering whether I'd have a chance if I got AAAB or even AABB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      From http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/selection-process/law:

"This year the field was particularly strong, so that, in the absence of special circumstances, candidates had to achieve at least 8 A*s at GCSE, a score of 26 in the multiple choice component and 60 in the essay component of the LNAT to be in with a good chance of being invited for interview. It should be pointed out, however, that it was possible to compensate for poor performance in one of these areas by outstanding performance in one or more of the others."

First, you should be aware that your GCSEs are below what was generally required to have a good chance of an interview this year (although as the quotation notes this was a particularly strong year.) However note the second sentence. Note also that this is not meant to discourage you from applying, rather to make sure that you are aware of the competition and that academics are important for Oxford.

Second, there are applicants that receive offers every year having achieved AAAB or below at AS. Not getting AAAA should not therefore, in itself, be a reason not to apply.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.