Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pistol 33)
    Not like Per and podolski actually did anything.

Schurrle outperformed Ozil aswell.
    Hm. Ozil imo is trash as long as he refuses to work hard. But with Sanchez and now Khedira he will have two people who can run for him, and with Ramsey hopefully back in form as he was at the start of last season when he made Ozil look good, he can maybe perform again.

And maybe not so much, but the experience they can give is immense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Indeed. It seems Arsenal signs Khedira to stabilize the defence in the midfield. Or why Arsenal tries to get him?
    Actually apparently he is unhappy that Madrid used him mostly as a holding midfielder, he wants to be more dynamic and more attacking. I would think he can teach Wilshere a thing or two and together they will form central midfield and do a good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    What? He had one bad season and he's getting all of this?

His goals are slick. He can score free kicks, he can score from outside the area, in the area, headers.. He can do all sorts! His left foot is as good as his right..

He's so underrated right now :/
    He is not underrated. He had a bad season. Great free kick at the FA cup final, but otherwise he was not so good , much like several of the team. I watched every single match, he was losing the ball and getting overpowered by the likes of Everton. His head dropped and his workrate when we were getting overran was abysmal. You don't lose against the big teams and call it a good season, you don't get thrashed by Everton and call it a good season. We are Arsenal, not historically satisfied with 4th place , why should we be now? We are a laughing stock in the Premier League compared to our long succcessful history (just look at the media) and people pretend that just because we won an FA Cup everything is fine.

I will not place the blame on Wenger because I think he has done great with what players he has and the previous financial restrictions. However, we must win a league now or come within one or two points of doing so... with a more advanced C.L. progression and perhaps another domestic cup win. That is the minimum for us. We're Arsenal FC for heavens sake.

I am spending money on match tickets and merchandise, I have done my part for the club and have supported them for my whole life. I am 23 and I can remember 18 years of watching Arsenal play football. I have a right to say that based on the previous season, from what I saw, Cazorla was not good enough, not Arsenal quality. First season he was great, but that just buys him another season for us to prove himself otherwise we can do without him because there are better players coming through.

It is because we have had 9 years without a trophy that people forget just how good old Arsenal teams were and how players like Arteta/Cazorla are so below where our historic normal level is. It is because a lot of you guys are young and did not really see a long period of the old days. At most you saw the invincibles and nothing before that in terms of comprehending Arsenal team after Arsenal team of top quality all around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    May I ask the Arsenal fans of the forum a quick question?

I'm just wondering what people think was the main reason for Ozil's dip in form during the Winter part of last season?

Do people think he'll play better this season? Especially after winning the World Cup.
    Sure. He is not used to not having a winter break. You could see quite clearly in the games that physically he was a 60 minute per game player at high tempo. Hence why Jose at Real used to sub him off after around 60 minutes. He is not physically the best player out there. Although, I actually think he has really improved that aspect of his play now. He looks bulkier and has better physical aspects to his play now, he is not getting pushed off the ball easily now. Also has better running and better stamina since when he joined.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Actually apparently he is unhappy that Madrid used him mostly as a holding midfielder, he wants to be more dynamic and more attacking. I would think he can teach Wilshere a thing or two and together they will form central midfield and do a good job.
    I see. I didn't know that he is unhappy with his role in Madrid. I'm sure he will not have any problems in London, as he has three fellow-countrymans around him, especially he can play with Özil together again.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. Ozil imo is trash as long as he refuses to work hard. But with Sanchez and now Khedira he will have two people who can run for him, and with Ramsey hopefully back in form as he was at the start of last season when he made Ozil look good, he can maybe perform again.

And maybe not so much, but the experience they can give is immense.
    I am not aware that a high workrate is required for a player to be good. Typical idiotic armchair fan, assumes that running around and 'putting a shift in' makes a good player. Do you even tactics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webster2002)
    Khedira shirt possibly no longer in Madrid shop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still available in the official online store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    May I ask the Arsenal fans of the forum a quick question?

I'm just wondering what people think was the main reason for Ozil's dip in form during the Winter part of last season?

Do people think he'll play better this season? Especially after winning the World Cup.
    It depends on who he has around him. With efficient finishers in front of him, there are few better than him in world football. Sanchez is an incredibly efficient finisher, but we will need to see where he plays and what kind of positions he is able to get himself into.

That, however, is based only on stats before arriving at Arsenal; I have no idea how a player's mentality affects his play, or, indeed, what Ozil's mentality is right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. Ozil imo is trash as long as he refuses to work hard.
    He's usually near the top for distance covered in matches. E.g. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1405463697.373495.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  63.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's usually near the top for distance covered in matches. E.g. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1405463697.373495.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  63.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Coz he jogs everywhere all the time. Have you ever seen him sprint down the line and make a cross while half falling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    I am not aware that a high workrate is required for a player to be good. Typical idiotic armchair fan, assumes that running around and 'putting a shift in' makes a good player. Do you even tactics?
    Ronaldinho. Point proven. Now go **** off.

ReputationRep:
    Coz he jogs everywhere all the time. Have you ever seen him sprint down the line and make a cross while half falling?
    I wouldn't expect him to do that considering he always plays centrally and isn't a winger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never knew that was the definition of a good player. Ozil is an introvert so doesn't take the limelight but the way he roams around the pitch creating space for others should not be underestimated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Never knew that was the definition of a good player. Ozil is an introvert so doesn't take the limelight but the way he roams around the pitch creating space for others should not be underestimated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow. Now he creates space for others. And he is able to get them to use it right? I remember a scene where for once he did do something nice and the commentator said so and the next second he makes a half-assed pass and the ball is blocked for a throw. I had to laugh so hard, because that is quintessential Ozil.

Without a doubt that guy can play. But he is way too lazy to reach his potential. He seems to me like he plays every game as if he was on a beach playing for show/fun.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't expect him to do that considering he always plays centrally and isn't a winger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that's where he played for pretty much the entire world cup and he was horrible at it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok consider Messi. Pretty much everyone agrees he shouldn't have been awarded the golden boot but he was. If you say Ozil creates space for his teamates, Messi undoubtedly does as he pretty much always pulls two or more defenders on him. Then well yea he had a bad cup for his standards, and yet he single-handedly scored Argentina through the group phase. He set up the vital Di Maria goal against Switzerland. What did Ozil do? He couldn't even score against Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's where he played for pretty much the entire world cup and he was horrible at it.
    Well I guess apart from being a key player in the Germany team in most games especially in the knockout stages, he was horrible.
    Played centrally in the final, created numerous chances but none were put away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He couldn't even score against Brazil.
    His job is to create. Which he did in that game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    His job is to create. Which he did in that game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right. So when he has a chance it's ok to waste it?

Making me laugh here.

Well I guess apart from being a key player in the Germany team in most games especially in the knockout stages, he was horrible.
    Played centrally in the final, created numerous chances but none were put away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guarantee you we would have won the world cup had Ozil not played a single minute of it. Just because he was in the starting squad does not make him a "key" player. However good Löw is, he has his quirks and shortcomings, and Ozil is one of them.

And yes, he was a lot better in the final than in any other game. So what? Doesn't redeem his otherwise poor performance.

Lahm was also miles better once at right back.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't ozil create more goal-scoring chances than any other player at the world cup?

http://www.theequaliser.com/2014/07/...errated-player

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.