The Student Room Group

World Cup 2014 Final: Germany vs Argentina

Scroll to see replies

Pundits acting like germany steamrolled argentina :rolleyes:
Original post by KingMessi
Yes. But hopefully once this fixation subsides, people will have a measured discussion of Messi's legacy, etc.

Criticism of Messi's performance is fine and deserved, but this is just silly. Please do not pretend that your demeanour would be any different after just losing a World Cup Final.

The fact that Messi is already discussed among other GOAT in the game and he's only just turned 27 (a few weeks ago) should tell you everything you need to know.

He'll stay at the top of the game for another 5 years at least imo. Too much of a professional to fall down as quick as Ronaldinho.
Original post by Jordooooom
Yeah he was pretty average. But the other top class players, aguero, higuain and di maria who have all been really poor are getting let off a lot more lightly

Exactly. If Messi is taking 4 or 5 players out the game, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the players you named to do something with the ball. Aguero was clearly injured, but Higuain and Di Maria should be ashamed of themselves.
Original post by Zerforax
The fact that Messi is already discussed among other GOAT in the game and he's only just turned 27 (a few weeks ago) should tell you everything you need to know.

He'll stay at the top of the game for another 5 years at least imo. Too much of a professional to fall down as quick as Ronaldinho.

So you'd disagree that he has problems with his physique?

You know what, I'm just going to try and avoid any predictions for another year. I suspect that his reign is over, and the hamstring injuries, or problem of having achieved literally everything but a World Cup already, or something else, have halted him. But he has a month off now before things resume - and hopefully he'll be tearing defences apart in six weeks time again.
World cups been **** woo
**** off alan hansen.
The best team won tbh. The German players are going to do some great things, a lot of them are still young. Neuer was awesome. Argentina lost it after the first half. I don't think Messi needs to win a WC to be considered one of the GOATs. His stats are insane. Is it weird I find him find him extremely attractive?
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lol at people acting like messi being best player is ridiculous. Yes he probably wasn't but he carried them to the semis.

It's hard to see how Argentina would have scored a single goal without Messi on the pitch.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Poldi is such a joker, played hardly any mins at this tournament and he's right next to Lahm with a hand on the trophy as if he scored the winning goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its more of a shame that Draxler is getting a medal. Has he even played a minute?
**** yessssssssssssss just won £150 yayyyyyyyyyyyy thanks Germany!!!
Original post by pane123
I don't think we will see Messi reach the same level as he did in that Champs League final in 2011, but I think people are being a bit harsh on him. There were several times in that game - as there are in almost every game in which he plays - that Messi was surrounded by 4 or 5 German players and managed to take them all out the game, either by skipping by them or passing it.

It will be interesting to see him with Suarez and Neymar next season, as teams deploying the "everyone mark Messi" tactic, should get picked off with relative ease. Obviously I'm speculating, but it will certainly be interesting to see.

Messi will be fine for Barca as their attack isn't completely reliant on him, he can share the load with Neymar and Suarez. The problem for Argentina was that Aguero and Higuain didn't turn up, alongside Di Maria unfortunately being injured. Will be difficult for Messi to win a World Cup considering he'd theoretically be past his peak in Russia, but a Copa America or two is certainly a possibility.

I think criticising Messi's physique is fair, he isn't as rapid or light on his feet as he was in say 2011, he's 27 so he should be in pretty good shape still, I think what's more concerning for Leo is that he's been playing at the top level for 10 years now, which consists of 55 games each season. It'll be difficult for him to reach the level of a few years ago, but then again he doesn't need to, especially for Barca.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Messi probably doesn't deserve player of the tournament but he has certainly been in the top 5 so it's not that bad. I am annoyed that Argentina didn't win purely because it will tarnish Messi's legacy in the eyes of so many people. The world cup argument infuriates me though. It implies that players can't be in the upper echelon of greats if they are from a lesser footballing nation. If Gotze didn't score that goal and Argentina won on penalties then Messi would somehow be considered much greater which is frankly ridiculous. Messi's club level achievements are far superior to both Pele's and Maradona's, in trophies as well as performance level. Why doesn't that count for anything? A player perhaps gets 2 shots at a world cup when they are anywhere near their prime and must have a host of top players with them to even have a slight chance of winning. I honestly don't know what pundits are thinking when they place so much importance on the world cup. As people have already said, if Messi decided to play for Spain he'd have a WC. This clearly makes the world cup reasoning stupid.
Original post by vickidc18
**** yessssssssssssss just won £150 yayyyyyyyyyyyy thanks Germany!!!

lost 500.

you lucky women. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ffs Germany are gonna win the next one as well

we will be old then.
I can't wait 4 bloody years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well this was fun
Messi will be fine for Barca as their attack isn't completely reliant on him, he can share the load with Neymar and Suarez. The problem for Argentina was that Aguero and Higuain didn't turn up, alongside Di Maria unfortunately being injured. Will be difficult for Messi to win a World Cup considering he'd theoretically be past his peak in Russia, but a Copa America or two is certainly a possibility.

I think criticising Messi's physique is fair, he isn't as rapid or light on his feet as he was in say 2011, he's 27 so he should be in pretty good shape still, I think what's more concerning for Leo is that he's been playing at the top level for 10 years now, which consists of 55 games each season. It'll be difficult for him to reach the level of a few years ago, but then again he doesn't need to, especially for Barca.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with all of this. However, I don't think we should be able to criticise his physique, simply because he shouldn't be allowing it to fall below a top standard.

Despite his shape, my point about him drawing a huge number of player out to him remains valid, and this should be extremely dangerous when he has players like Suarez in front of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite, he wasn't a regular first team member until about 2007

Nah scotland will.

Ryan gauld will be the best player in the world by then
England are going to win next time, ill be coaching them

Quick Reply

Latest