The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kjfr
Does anyone know if St.Georges has given out the majority of interviews by now? So many people on TSR have been invited, im getting quite worried! Surely it cant be that everyone who meets the min academic requirements and UKCAT cutoff will be invited to interview, wouldnt that be nearly everyone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Several hundred people did not meet all cut offs by the looks of it.
I remember someone said that they rang admissions a few days back, and they said that only around 700 people met the UKCAT cut off.
From that 700, I would presume around 100 to 200 people would not have met the other requirements, such as GCSEs and A levels.
This leaves around 500 to 600 people to interview.
And they will give out around 250 offers

So nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by kjfr
Does anyone know if St.Georges has given out the majority of interviews by now? So many people on TSR have been invited, im getting quite worried! Surely it cant be that everyone who meets the min academic requirements and UKCAT cutoff will be invited to interview, wouldnt that be nearly everyone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Rickstahhh
Several hundred people did not meet all cut offs by the looks of it.
I remember someone said that they rang admissions a few days back, and they said that only around 700 people met the UKCAT cut off.
From that 700, I would presume around 100 to 200 people would not have met the other requirements, such as GCSEs and A levels.
This leaves around 500 to 600 people to interview.
And they will give out around 250 offers

So nothing to worry about :smile:

Yehh thats true, i called up, about 700 have made the UKCAT cut off.
This is what they said about the requirements for interview:

"As per the entry requirements outlined on our website, if UKCAT and academic requirements are met, applicants will be called for interview - this could be any time between now and May 2015."

So if youve met the requirements youll be called eventually, im in the same position and was worried until i emailed them. hope this helps:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys,

reapplicant here, I had an interview at St georges last year. It was really difficult, and I got rejected. The only people I knew that got in were captain of their rugby teams, head boys and things like that. Im hoping for a second shot so good luck guys hope to see you at interview.
How serious are sgul about references?
I've got some form of proof from all my places but they're mostly missing something (ie specific details, headed note paper)
One place has all the info,sign but she gave me her card with details on instead of putting it on headed paper (apparently they don't have it :/)
Haven't got an interview Btw I'm just trying to sort it out it just seems very difficult to get it with everything else going on right now!
Does anyone know if the work experience letters have to be written by anyone specific? Can it be the receptionist at the hospital or the actual doctor I shadowed?
Reply 925
Original post by lg2012
I've been on Pass Medical and ISC medical. In my opinion ISC is the best because they give you this book about everything you need to know about and it's a GP who was talking to us so she talked about the NHS reforms and stuff so I actually understood it. I'm going on 3 more over the next couple of weeks and Ill see how they go

Ah okay, thanks! I'm thinking about this one called one2onemedicine which is a lot cheaper, but I may go on that and the ISC one as it also looks quite good. I'm not sure if I should go on one around December and then another in January nearer my interview or leave them both as close to Feb as I can.
Original post by hogsmeades
Do yo have examples for like skills/likely questions? Does anyone have a list? :smile:

The med tutor at my college sent me a very long list, I'll put it under a cut.

Spoiler

Original post by lg2012
Omg same as me!!

Great! See you on that day :biggrin: good luck with interview preparations!
did any internationals apply to the A900 course. (international meidince)
if so, have you heard anything from them yet?
Original post by EmilyKvothe
The med tutor at my college sent me a very long list, I'll put it under a cut.

they're all from this website :tongue: but regardless a lot of the questions are good

http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/interview-questions-medical-school-interviews.aspx
Original post by Jaska
Does anyone know if the work experience letters have to be written by anyone specific? Can it be the receptionist at the hospital or the actual doctor I shadowed?

I wouldn't think it had to be the specific doctor...both mine are from the undergraduate centres of the hospitals as they organised my placements :smile:
Original post by donnaxx1231
did any internationals apply to the A900 course. (international meidince)
if so, have you heard anything from them yet?

Yea, I have applied from Canada, but haven't heard anything yet. Maybe they deal with internationals later??
yea probably, and they dont start interviewing until Januaru right?
i'm from hong kong :smile:)
Hi guys, I'm a first year medic at SGUL, so if you have any questions about the uni, admissions process or accommodation -I'm happy to help! :smile:
Original post by aloha_here
Hi guys, I'm a first year medic at SGUL, so if you have any questions about the uni, admissions process or accommodation -I'm happy to help! :smile:

what are the best and worst factors of studying at SGUL? :smile: ty!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aloha_here

Interview tips would be great!
Also, how have you found the fact that SGUL is relatively small - does it still have a university feel? Just wondering because my college has almost the same number of students!
Original post by EmilyKvothe
Interview tips would be great!
Also, how have you found the fact that SGUL is relatively small - does it still have a university feel? Just wondering because my college has almost the same number of students!

What were the multiple mini interviews like? Did they assess the main competences which the university lists? How did you prepare?
Original post by Jaska

It can be anyone, but it has to have the official letterhead and contact details. St. Georges randomly contacts one of your work exp places to check that you're not lying so whoever writes the letter should be able to confirm that you did do work exp there.

If you have any other questions about the process, ask away :smile: Been there done that :P
Original post by tealover96
How serious are sgul about references?
I've got some form of proof from all my places but they're mostly missing something (ie specific details, headed note paper)
One place has all the info,sign but she gave me her card with details on instead of putting it on headed paper (apparently they don't have it :/)
Haven't got an interview Btw I'm just trying to sort it out it just seems very difficult to get it with everything else going on right now!

For letters without contact details on it, they don't mind as long as you have the contact details which you can put on the form. (So put the details from the card on to the form and that should be fine). It happened to me last year, my letter didn't have the contact number on it, but I just emailed Micki Regan and she said it was fine as long I knew the number and put that on the form.

In terms of the letter head, I don't really know, I volunteered at quite an informal place and they didn't have a letter head per se but they had the name at the top with the address.

I would email Micki Regan just to be sure though.
Original post by shassan22
For letters without contact details on it, they don't mind as long as you have the contact details which you can put on the form. (So put the details from the card on to the form and that should be fine). It happened to me last year, my letter didn't have the contact number on it, but I just emailed Micki Regan and she said it was fine as long I knew the number and put that on the form.

In terms of the letter head, I don't really know, I volunteered at quite an informal place and they didn't have a letter head per se but they had the name at the top with the address.

I would email Micki Regan just to be sure though.

Ah okay I'll do that
Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending